1st start this season, power issue?

2ball

Threads
I went tot start the riding lawn mower today and I just got a click when I turned the key. The battery was inside on a maintainer all winter. The battery tested at 13v. The positive cable that hooks to the battery was corroded. I cleaned off the corrosion.

If it does not start this time I want to see if the starter is getting 12 volts.

I see the positive cable going to the starter, but I dont see the negative?

Where do I put the negative probe from my Multimeter to see if the starter is getting juice?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
first test UNDER LOAD is positive post to the negative post. 2nd test under load is positive post to the starter casing. The results should be almost identical. If not look for a bad negative ground or something else. Make sure that all safety switches, seat, PTO, pedals etc are in the correct position.

2ball

Threads
It started after I cleaned the battery cables. They didnt seem that corroded, I didnt think that was the issue, but I guess it was.

I switched to brass nuts and bolts to hold them on also.

2ball

Threads
So I go to start the Mower today and I just get clicks. I put a battery maintainer on the battery while it is still hooked up and it starts right up.
I see that the battery I got at the end of the season, 2 seasons ago is only 160CCA. I can't find my manual, but a manual online says the min battery should be 230CCA.

Is that more then likely the reason for my battery troubles? not enough CCA's?

I did use it all last season with no issues.

Last edited: