19hp single cylinder briggs no spark

Rlex

Forum Newbie
Threads

Briggs and Stratton 33S877-0019-G1 Simpson Intek Series, 19 HP, 540 cc, Single Cylinder Engine​

I have replaced the coil twice in the past few days each time i diagnosed a no spark situation and replaced coil. each time it started right up and ran till i killed it and would not restart. I have removed the kill wire during troubleshooting, If I understand it correctly removing the kill wire from the coil bypasses all safeties. The magnet on the fly wheel seems strong and the key is intact. I did notice a very slight wiggle in the magnet when using the tip of a screwdriver to move it but does not appear broken.​

Any help would be appreciated.​

Rlex

Forum Newbie
Threads
so this stray voltage is knocking out the coil?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Stray voltage will kill the coil instantly.

Rlex

Forum Newbie
Threads
so a new switch and cleaning the switch connector and ground connections may fix my problem?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Best to test for the stray voltage or you just swapping parts and guessing that is the problem.

Rlex

Forum Newbie
Threads
not exactly sure how to test for stray voltage, I have never ran into this problem before, its kind of humbling I thought i knew a lot about this stuff.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
pull off the kill wire
Plug one side of your meter into it and ground the other
Turn the dial to volts
Turn the key switch on & off , the meter should show 0 volts
Move on lead to the battery +
Meter should read battery voltage key off & 0 volts key on
Do the tests with bake on & brake off

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably can't fine an analog Volt meter nowadays but it would be the best meter to use as the needle movement is observable. Also a low voltage test light might just do the job too.

All it takes is a fraction of a second to destroy the electronics.

Rlex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the info and will update in a few days after I get back to the tractor.