1999 MTD 13au694h088 transmission Fluid

N5WXB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Trying to remove the Drive wheel using puller and mallet, it did come off but axle came off too. Axle is back on and secure but need to refill fluid. Question is how much and what type?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
81 ounces of 20W50 motor oil. spin the input shaft with a drill while performing the air purge procedure before reinstalling the unit. Oil level should be around 1.5-2 inches from the top after purging.

N5WXB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information, The fluid that came out was gray in color and flowed very slow. I', guessing that only 2/3 of a qt. leaked. I'm wondering if you know how can I remove the rest and fill all with new. Again, Thank you for the information!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Best you can do is remove the unit from the mower and turn it upside down with the vent/fill plug removed and drain as much as possible. Fill within 2 inches of the top and then air purge it and then check the oil level through the fill hole. Adjust level as needed.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally with the oil coming out grey mud I would split the case and clean or change the internal filter as it sounds like water has gotten into the unit.

N5WXB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally with the oil coming out grey mud I would split the case and clean or change the internal filter as it sounds like water has gotten into the unit.
I roger that, Bought it 5 years ago been changing belts, pulleys and engine oil regularly. My guess is Tranny fluid is 25 years old... Runs great, I'm kicking my ass thinking I should have just got a tube for the tire instead of trying to change it. A lot less $$$ and a boat load more time and aggravation. Oh well. Thanks bud.