Engine 1998 JD Sabre Start/Stop. No restart

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, did that and the solenoid energized. I also ran a jumper cable from the battery + directly to the starter and it turned the engine slowly. It was fighting against compression. Still no start. I'll put it on the charger incase it was low on juice and try again later.

So based on what I did already, what does that tell me?

It tells you you have 2 problems

1) you have an electrical problem in the starting circuit.
Get a wiring diagram pinch the coloured pencils from the kids / grandkids / neighbours kids and color in the path from the starter solenoid back to the battery.
Then using the thin jumper lead you just made go in an bypass eack switch one at a time till the guilty party is found.
Usually in is a bad switch or dirty plug so lots of WD 40 or similar multiple dissconnection & reconnections of the plugs plus similar to the switch itself works wonders it gets very dusty down there,

2) it tells you you have a decompression problem.
Decompression is generally too much valve lash easy fix
Worn cam / cam followers not so easy fix.

Scratcher

Threads
Get a wiring diagram.
Having difficulty finding this. Neither of the two links posted earlier in the thread relate directly to my model.(GX1438B011233 1998 Sabre with Briggs & Stratton 14.5HP Model 287707 Type 1274-E1)

When I type in the model number to the JD help centerr mine does not come up.

Just to recap. Engine will turn when juiced direct from the battery to the starter. I now know the valves need adjustment which is the easy part.

Battery is fully charged. When I turn the key the solenoid clicks telling me that it has energized. That tells me the juice is going in.......right? I also checked the fuse (15amp) I assume there is only one?