1995 MTD: Lubricate blade / deck spindle?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No worries, the gang here hates my guts, anyway..... If someone actually has tried to drill a zerk, he has more time on his hands than any sane person.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I love you guys.....

jsmith24

Threads
Hi guys,

All settled!

Well, I got the new spindle in, no problem.

I looked at the old spindle, and sure enough, it looks like the old bearing just pop out for replacement.

Finally, whatever I did WRONG last time, I did RIGHT this time. Got the deck back on, and pulled the spring back into place in about two minutes. Works properly now, though I still don't know what I messed up the last time. Now to cut that "grass", which is actually 3 feet of dandelions. :(

Jack

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You guys are kidding, right?????????

If you read my post I said I was just told about it. I didn't look at how it was done. As to being possible I don't know without the spindle being in my hand?

Mowerman91

Threads
So random: but do you have a pic of your mower deck and maybe a pet number for the deck belt? I have a 1991 MTD 12/38, that's why I asked. Good luck with your spindle, wish I could help

jsmith24

Threads
So random: but do you have a pic of your mower deck and maybe a pet number for the deck belt? I have a 1991 MTD 12/38, that's why I asked. Good luck with your spindle, wish I could help

I can get a picture later today. I replaced the deck belt last year...MTD part number is 954-0329A, and the generic measurements are 5/8" X 69-9/32 (5/8 X 69.28").

Jack

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Get the oem or oem spec aftermarket replacement belt for your mower, generic belts won't last very long. IF you have the 38" cut with the 2 deck pulleys and engine pulley only, and the deck lift lever also engages the deck, then the belt # is 954-0329, if you have a "42 deck with the same setup, your belt # is 954-0371

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay, so you just have one of those lying around, did you? :)

Jack

Yeah, back about 10 years ago, you could get the cheapo ones for $9 as a dealer, that is probably one of them laying around.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
To buy them from MTD, well you would be looking at @ $70 or so....

Boy, this thread really dried up.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fish calm down. Relax don't have a melt down.

I know what his spindles look like and it is very easy to change the bearings.

The pic he needs is to show him where the springs go.

I will also show you the set I have that came with grease fittings.

Sometimes you act like a 4 year old when they don't get their own way.

Just because there are things you do not know how to do does not mean it can not be done.

If we all could only do things you know how to do none of us would ever get anything fixed.

I really want to see this. I mean, if it is a good repair, I will laud you all over and give you all of the credit...

But these bearing failures usually involve bent parts/blades anyway, and the spindle was made to just be swapped out, unless you were a teenager
with a whole lot of time on his hands, well.........