1991 Simplicity LTG 12hp Briggs won't run

MrC

Threads
Hello. My Mower has been in storage for 6 years. The mower has low hours and looks like brand new, seriously! I followed your previous instructions. I changed the oil, air and fuel filters, put in a new plug, sprayed the cylinder with PB Blaster and let it sit for a week. Today, I cranked the engine with the plug removed to blow out the Blaster and lubricate the cylinder and engine parts. I removed the air filter and poured a little gas in the carb to prime it. Fuel appears to getting to the carb. I pulled the fuel loose at the carb and fuel came out. The engine started but burns the fuel I primed and that's it, add more prime, engine starts and stops. I did this five times with the same results. As soon as the primer fuel is gone, it stops! Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Rick in Tennessee

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The needle valve in the carb may be stuck closed. Take the bowl off, and remove the float. The needle valve should fall out. Of course, turn off the fuel first!

If you have to pull on the needle to get it out, use a pipe cleaner or a small wire brush to clean out where the needle slides.

Replace the needle (and seat if the needle is solid ss). If you need to replace the seat, make a tiny bend in a straightened out paper clip to get the old one out, and an allen wrench to press in the new one. Make sure it's going in the right way!

It's easiest to do this with the carb removed, but i've done it while its on the engine, too.

MrC

Threads
I did what you recommended and POW! She fired right up and ran great! I am very happy about it! Now it goes in the market! Thanks for the help sir!

Rick in Tennessee!:thumbsup:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did what you recommended and POW! She fired right up and ran great! I am very happy about it! Now it goes in the market! Thanks for the help sir!

Rick in Tennessee!:thumbsup:

Glad it worked, Rick!:wink:

For future ref: that's kinda common for a B&S that's sat for a long time. The other one is for it to be stuck OPEN, and floods after awhile (or when you use less than full throttle).

Good luck with the sale!