1989 Ranch King revival

bww3588

Threads
I recently acquired my great grandpas 1989 ish ranch King. It is an 18 horse 46 inch cut Briggs twin II. Long story short, he bought this tractor new in 1990 and passed away in 1999. Shortly before he passed, he put the mower in storage. Around late 1997. My dad ended up with the mower in 99 and kept it in storage since because he had no use for it. Somewhere around 2000-2001, it was used briefly until my grandpa bought a new mower. Since then, it has been in storage. No fuel was drained etc, just parked one last time and never used again.

Fast forward to 2015, and now I have the tractor. It took a little love to get it going but with a fresh battery, fresh fuel and a little ether, it light right up. Needs the carb rebuilt but I changed the oil and have mowed twice with it since.

For sitting for 15 years, I'm impressed.

My current dilemma is finding parts. I can't for the life of me find blades. I haven't had to look for any other parts yet, but I'm sure it will be a challenge as well. I managed to get some info out of mtd directly and this is the part numbers they gave me. 742-0497 and 742-0498. These blades have since been discontinued and I'm in dire need of them. I know they are identical to the 644/645 blades for the 97+ decks except the center hole.

Does anyone know where I can get the blades I need? Is there a different blade adapter out there that will replace the existing ones that will accept the newer star pattern blades?

KrashnKraka

Threads
Model number is 149-818-205

Just some trivia?
The 36" Greenfield I list in "profile" has a 20hp sidevalve B&S, purchased new around
1984/5. It's had three operators and was a true "man's machine".
I gave it up because of a personal disability. It was still mowing when I pulled
the deck off it, around an acre and a half, often three times a month.
Used still as a water pump and general tow unit the engine does need
a hone and new rings, mainly for smoke not power.
I'd never mow with the tractor style again but those old banger7s sure prove
hard to kill :)

.... jes reminiscing.

KK

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The last Ranch King I repaired for a neighbor several years ago the OEM belts were available at Lowe's. Maybe they have a set of blades or check with Oregon or Jack's Small Engine.

bww3588

Threads
Turns out, the belts are common. Found them. Still need blades

bww3588

Threads
Turns out, the belts are common. Still need the blades

bww3588

Threads
Found blades. Turns out, you can use the blades with the star pattern without the star pattern on the spindles. If I would have just turned the package over the first 6 times I looked at them in the store I would have known that.