1988 Toro self propelled. Needs help

journey005

Threads
I have a 1988 Toro 21" self propelled Bag/Mulch. It wont start for me. I have never really done much for this mower except change the plug in it every few years. I bought it used back in 1992 and the guy said it leaked a bit of oil somewhere after he hit a pipe or something. I used it for almost 21 years hear now and it just started "acting up" last year.( didnt want to stay running "seemed to me when it got hot" but not sure. Anyway This year I cut the grass a few times with it but now it wont start. I only have a flat yard approx 100x 40 to cut so its not a lot of cutting over the 21 year life. I put a new plug in it and fresh gas but it still wont start. I dont work on mowers but would like to attempt this since money is tight. Anyone out there willing to list a series of things to try first on this. I figured the plug was the first thing to try. Thanks to any one who helps.
Photo on left is the one not running

Attachments

• Lawnmowers.jpg
    Lawnmowers.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 11

dodgefate

Threads
Check for spark by pulling out the spark plug and let it sit against good metal while pull starting. if there is spark then its probably the carburetor. buy a rebuild kit for it and take it all apart and clean it thoroughly.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your old gal is one of the top mowers in 88. You will need to give the carb a good bath and put in a new needle and seat. Part number 631021B. Only special tool you will need is a #5 crochet hook from you wife's sewing basket, to remove the old seat. Remove the carb and give it a good bath and cleaning. This manual will also help you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/Tecumseh/Tecumseh L-Head.pdf

journey005

Threads
Your old gal is one of the top mowers in 88. You will need to give the carb a good bath and put in a new needle and seat. Part number 631021B. Only special tool you will need is a #5 crochet hook from you wife's sewing basket, to remove the old seat. Remove the carb and give it a good bath and cleaning. This manual will also help you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12502267/Tecumseh/Tecumseh L-Head.pdf

Thanks for that good info. It makes sense too. My uncle was a stickler for researching and he bought this back then.

I ended up putting a new starter coil in it and a oil fill tube "o" ring. I will take the carb off after season is over like you suggested and give it a good cleaning.

I am a little concerned about the compression. It just seems like the machine doesnt cut like it once did. I will check the blade for sharpness then proceed. I dont want to buy a compression tester or take it to a shop just yet.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Many of the Auto supply stores have tools to loan or rent out. I would check there for a compression gage. Also, check with your local repair shop, where you take your vehicle, they might help you out.

journey005

Threads
Many of the Auto supply stores have tools to loan or rent out. I would check there for a compression gage. Also, check with your local repair shop, where you take your vehicle, they might help you out.

Great advice. I will call them today.