Price Check 1979-1983 Snapper 30" RER

Mutilator712

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys. I have a 1979-1983(I am not exactly sure what year yet) Snapper rer mower with a 30" deck that was given to me. I really want to fully restore the mower to original status. I would like to sell it, though, when I get done. Do you guys think I could sell it, and if I do, how much do you think I could get. Thanks!

deminin

Threads
Hey guys. I have a 1979-1983(I am not exactly sure what year yet) Snapper rer mower with a 30" deck that was given to me. I really want to fully restore the mower to original status. I would like to sell it, though, when I get done. Do you guys think I could sell it, and if I do, how much do you think I could get. Thanks!

Do some checking EBAY...looking for "Sold" listings. My guess would be in the $250 to $400 range....probably nowhere near what you would spend, both in time and money to fully restore such a mower.

Harmond

Threads
Do some checking EBAY...looking for "Sold" listings. My guess would be in the $250 to $400 range....probably nowhere near what you would spend, both in time and money to fully restore such a mower.

Yeah but still... they don't make them like they used to :) Hard to find these things in A+ condition.

deminin

Threads
Yeah but still... they don't make them like they used to :) Hard to find these things in A+ condition.

That's true...most of these mowers have probably found their way to the scrap yard by now. Even in a fully restored condition, I doubt that there is much of a collectors market for 35 yr. old lawnmowers...it's not like something you could put in a display case in your family room. If you can get it in decent running shape for a reasonable cost, you can have a "conversation piece", and get some admiring comments from friends and neighbors...but that's about it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
In restored like new condition. I could easily get $600

People love the old snapper rer.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

deminin

Threads
In restored like new condition. I could easily get $600

People love the old snapper rer.

That's probably true....but How Much time and money would it cost to restore one to like new condition...probably more than it would be worth. I have an 15 yr. old Snapper 33" mower, and I haven't had to replace much more than the battery, blades, and a spindle. If I can keep it going for a few bucks a year, I will keep it...but if the repairs start reaching into several hundred dollars, I will apply that money to a new rider.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's probably true....but How Much time and money would it cost to restore one to like new condition...probably more than it would be worth. I have an 15 yr. old Snapper 33" mower, and I haven't had to replace much more than the battery, blades, and a spindle. If I can keep it going for a few bucks a year, I will keep it...but if the repairs start reaching into several hundred dollars, I will apply that money to a new rider.

There is nothing on a snapper rer that would run 100s
Maybe the Engine but that's it.

They are the easiest mower to make money on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It largely goes like this.
Joe public sees the odd one for sale at a few $ so in the back of their minds that is all they are worth, a couple of $.
Collectors usually want to buy the cheapest ones & do the work themselves.
Most customers get hooked on "Newer is better" so it is a hard sell to make them believe a 30 year old mower is worth even thinking about using.
So the only person who will be interested in your mower is someone who is still using their old mower because they appreciate its superior performance for a particular task.
Not a big market.

I refurbish old Victa 2 strokes & sell them with a longer warantee than comes with a new mower for 1/4 the price of the current equivalent new mower.
However no one will respond to any advertising they all preffer to go to the big box store & pay more for a piece of Chineese land fill with 12 month warrantee and they will happily do that every year.
I sell most by word of mouth and now people are actually comming to the workshop looking for a good old mower or for a $ 5 running trade in & these are the only sales I make.
Usually when I tell them they are $ 100 to $ 300 each I get the same response . " I can get one on ebay for $ 10 " and because they see them on ebay for $ 10 that is all they think they re worth.
It takes a lot of selling to get them to part with the extra cash.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
It largely goes like this.
Joe public sees the odd one for sale at a few $ so in the back of their minds that is all they are worth, a couple of $.
Collectors usually want to buy the cheapest ones & do the work themselves.
Most customers get hooked on "Newer is better" so it is a hard sell to make them believe a 30 year old mower is worth even thinking about using.
So the only person who will be interested in your mower is someone who is still using their old mower because they appreciate its superior performance for a particular task.
Not a big market.

I refurbish old Victa 2 strokes & sell them with a longer warantee than comes with a new mower for 1/4 the price of the current equivalent new mower.
However no one will respond to any advertising they all preffer to go to the big box store & pay more for a piece of Chineese land fill with 12 month warrantee and they will happily do that every year.
I sell most by word of mouth and now people are actually comming to the workshop looking for a good old mower or for a $ 5 running trade in & these are the only sales I make.
Usually when I tell them they are $ 100 to $ 300 each I get the same response . " I can get one on ebay for $ 10 " and because they see them on ebay for $ 10 that is all they think they re worth.
It takes a lot of selling to get them to part with the extra cash.
Great post bertsmobile1.