1962 Briggs horizontal. Where does this spring go?

rickpaulos

Threads
100202 401056 6207230

Installing a new carb kit. There is a ~1" coil spring (govenor spring) that connects from the throttle cable to the regulator arm (bushing lever). The bracket has 2 holes in it. Which does the spring attach to? All the parts photos on the web don't show the spring connected, just hanging loose.

the motor in question:

I took before photos but this spring is buried below the tank and I don't recall which hole it goes in to. The long arm or the short arm?

is this correct?

Also any tips on getting the second carb bolt tight? it's nearly inaccessable. Sockets won't fit. I have two different brands of 3/8" combo wrenches and neither fits well. There just isn't enough room to turn the wrench even 1/6" of a turn and flipping the wrench doesn't fit. The carb is at an angle so a screw driver is out of the question even my tiny right angle ratchet flat blade.

pmlock1

Forum Newbie
Threads
For the bottom bolt I usually use a screwdriver offset 90 degrees. It's a slow process, but it does work.

bogdaN

Threads
Yes,agree --also need to have original bolt.Here what I was using.Spring I would have look in the book.

Attachments

• 20191111_101900.jpg
    20191111_101900.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 8

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The actual Briggs tool is an 90 degree screwdriver, and is a slow process even with the correct tool. I have used an 3/8 open end and turn it a little at a time, or in some cases a flat screwdriver stuck into the slots from the side and turn it a 1/4 turn at a time.

rickpaulos

Threads
The bolt in place:

There just isn't 1/6 turn space with an open end wrench.
I also tried 5 different brands of box end wrenches, none fit.

Quick trip to the hardware store for a 1/4" x 20tpi x 3/4" length socket head cap bolt and washer.

Ground off the end of my only 3/16" hex L wrench. Something I didn't want to do but... There is just 1/6 turn space for the hex wrench. A pair of needle nose pliers got a little grip on the serrations on the bolt head to get it turned in most of the way. Then finish with the hex wrench and a cheater bar to get it tight.

Ran out of light and heat so I called it quits for the night. and then, it hit. 5 inches of snow over night. I'm not done with this 1962 PowrKraft snowblower engine tune up so the newer Cub Cadet got the call to clear the driveway this morning.

I now see on the www there are Briggs hex wrenches. 3/16" and with longer and padded handles. I'm guessing Briggs made a switch to hex socket bolts for some engines due to this inaccessibility problem.

The Stanley Yankee ratchet sideways screw driver doesn't quite work as the head just takes up too much space. Can't get the blade centered in the slotted bolt head.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The bolt in place:

There just isn't 1/6 turn space with an open end wrench.
I also tried 5 different brands of box end wrenches, none fit.

Quick trip to the hardware store for a 1/4" x 20tpi x 3/4" length socket head cap bolt and washer.

Ground off the end of my only 3/16" hex L wrench. Something I didn't want to do but... There is just 1/6 turn space for the hex wrench. A pair of needle nose pliers got a little grip on the serrations on the bolt head to get it turned in most of the way. Then finish with the hex wrench and a cheater bar to get it tight.

Ran out of light and heat so I called it quits for the night. and then, it hit. 5 inches of snow over night. I'm not done with this 1962 PowrKraft snowblower engine tune up so the newer Cub Cadet got the call to clear the driveway this morning.

I now see on the www there are Briggs hex wrenches. 3/16" and with longer and padded handles. I'm guessing Briggs made a switch to hex socket bolts for some engines due to this inaccessibility problem.

The Stanley Yankee ratchet sideways screw driver doesn't quite work as the head just takes up too much space. Can't get the blade centered in the slotted bolt head.

All the ones that I have seen after the hex head bolts with the cross center notch were all T30 torx, and that wrench is even worse to use since it likes to pivot in your hand while trying to get it into position.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We are drifting a bit off course but for these situations I use a 2" long ratchet with a hex head to take power screwdriver bits.
Add a few extensions and they are great.
Finding a driver with a strong ratchet is a bit tiresome and took about 5 trys
Now I keep 2 in the workshop & two in the service van
In fact I rarely reach for a screwdriver at all any more.

bogdaN

Threads
Going back to spring,here some pic,s that may help.

Attachments

• 20191114_105631.jpg
    20191114_105631.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20191114_105706.jpg
    20191114_105706.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 6