190cc Intek OHV surge and miss

Jsm10

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone. I am hoping someone can help with an issue I can’t seem to fix on a tiller I bought. It has a miss and is surging. It has a B&S horizontal shaft OHV motor on it (110412-0144). The tiller is probably 15 years old, but was used very little. Here are the things I have done so far:
1) New plug - gapped it to .030”
2) Removed head - cleaned out carbon. Valves looked to be in great shape.
3) Adjusted valves to .005”.
4) Disassembled carb and cleaned with Gumout.
5) Removed coil and sanded edges and sanded flywheel magnet - set air gap at .010”. Coil resistance measured 4800 Ohms.
6) Tried running with gas cap off in case it was not letting air in.

I do want to mention that the spark is yellow, but will still jump 1/4”. It is not blue and “snapping”. The coil resistance does seem to be at the high end of normal (I read the range is supposed to be 2500 to 5000 Ohms).

I thought about buying a new carburetor, but just not sure what to do next. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yellow spark is weak. Another reason I use a PET-4000. Try it again at night in low/no light. Check for spark color then.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
2) Removed head - cleaned out carbon. Valves looked to be in great shape.
Good move. Not related to the running issue but needed. Keep the cooling fins clean as well.

Polish off the coil mounting pads where the coil sits on the block. And on the coil where it sits, same deal.