Export thread

19 HP Kohler engine - on a Troy bilt 6605

Kba9

Kba9

Picked up a riding mower for cheap(my first one). Thought I'd make a project out of it. Bought a new battery. All's I heard was a click from the starter. Went back and fourth, got another new battery, the solenoid checked out. Realized it's a flywheel that's not moving. I can move it with a ratchet wrench but it takes a good amount of effort. So I started adjusting the valves. Still hard to move the flywheel. I put PB blaster the spark plug hole. Still not much progress. The Piston is moving up and down. The blades are not engaged. Any help would be appreciated.

dougand3

dougand3

If valves are set correctly, could be compression release has failed. Don't know what it is on Kohler...some are levers that tick a valve at low RPM, some are a funny ground camshaft.
Other possibilities: Weak starter, Poor electrical connections in circuit to starter, Poor ground from battery, Solenoid clicks (plate moves down to connect 2 big poles) but plate is burned badly and not much juice flows.
Post your engine model# for better answers.

Kba9

Kba9

If valves are set correctly, could be compression release has failed. Don't know what it is on Kohler...some are levers that tick a valve at low RPM, some are a funny ground camshaft.
Other possibilities: Weak starter, Poor electrical connections in circuit to starter, Poor ground from battery, Solenoid clicks (plate moves down to connect 2 big poles) but plate is burned badly and not much juice flows.
Post your engine model# for better answers.
Engine model # SV590S
I checked all the connections and made sure everything was okay. Still nothing. I can't spin the flywheel very easy. Takes 2 hands with alot of effort and that's without the spark plug.

B

bertsmobile1

Sounds like a seized & now free engine.
However before you start, whip the belt off just in case the mower is adding drag to the engine.
'Do not keep spinning it .
Koher parts are not as cheap as Briggs parts so if it is internal engine drag I would pull the engine .
Clean up the PTO really well then lift the sump ,
Look inside for alloy grindings and into the bores for scoring .
The sump gasket is 1/2 the price of a head gasket & there are 2 of those, hence remove the sump .
With the sump off you can take the con rod caps off & check for scoring ( low oil )

I

ILENGINE

Bucket engine. Need to remove the blower housing and the flywheel and the other stuff on the top of the engine. Then remove the top cover and you can check everything from their.

Kba9

Kba9

Ok I've never taken a mower engine apart, yet a engine this big. But I'm more than willing to do it. So I'd need a strap wrench to begin with for the flywheel?

R

Rivets

Have you tried turn the engine by hand with the spark plugs removed? May be hydrolocking. This manual may be of help down the line. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf

Kba9

Kba9

Have you tried turn the engine by hand with the spark plugs removed? May be hydrolocking. This manual may be of help down the line. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf
Yes I have. Even with the plug removed it takes a decent amount of force to move it with both hands.

B

bertsmobile1

Post # 3
2 hands to revolve the flywheel even with the plugs out.

Bucket engine. Need to remove the blower housing and the flywheel and the other stuff on the top of the engine. Then remove the top cover and you can check everything from their.

If this is a bucket engine , closure plate on the top and no sump then you are in luck because it can stay in the mower, just slip both belts off the pulley .
Download the manual Rivets linked you to .Note Kohler fasteners are metric .
Take off the blower housing ( 4 x m 10 bolts from above ) and remove the fuel lines & dip stick, cover pulls strait up.
Then look at the 4 bolts at the front that hold the plate on.
Very good chance they have backed out and are fouling on the flywheel . Quick solution is to tighten them back up and check every season when you take that cover off to clean the cooling fins.
Slightly harder is to pull the flywheel remove the loose bolts, replace them with new ones using a dab of blue locktite .

Flywheel generally comes off easy no need for a strap wrench but a deceint rattle gun is worthwhile .
Remove the plug rotate the engine till it is at bottom dead center and the inlet valve ( one on the carb side ) is closed then feed as much nylon rope down the plug hole as you can, with at least a foot or so hanging out
Rotate the engine till the rope is compressed the engine is now locked and you can undo the flywheel.

Kba9

Kba9

Post # 3
2 hands to revolve the flywheel even with the plugs out.

If this is a bucket engine , closure plate on the top and no sump then you are in luck because it can stay in the mower, just slip both belts off the pulley .
Download the manual Rivets linked you to .Note Kohler fasteners are metric .
Take off the blower housing ( 4 x m 10 bolts from above ) and remove the fuel lines & dip stick, cover pulls strait up.
Then look at the 4 bolts at the front that hold the plate on.
Very good chance they have backed out and are fouling on the flywheel . Quick solution is to tighten them back up and check every season when you take that cover off to clean the cooling fins.
Slightly harder is to pull the flywheel remove the loose bolts, replace them with new ones using a dab of blue locktite .

Flywheel generally comes off easy no need for a strap wrench but a deceint rattle gun is worthwhile .
Remove the plug rotate the engine till it is at bottom dead center and the inlet valve ( one on the carb side ) is closed then feed as much nylon rope down the plug hole as you can, with at least a foot or so hanging out
Rotate the engine till the rope is compressed the engine is now locked and you can undo the flywheel.
Ok this is how far I've gotten. What am I looking at next?

I

ILENGINE

Remove the stator from the top of the cover just to get it out of the way. and then remove all the bolts around the edge of the top cover. Remove the cover. Be careful watching for things to fall out of place. I have had it pull one of the camshafts out of place and one of them engages the oil pump in the bottom of the engine.

NorthBama

NorthBama

this guy has some good videos after the crazy start
just start at 3 min

B

bertsmobile1

And before you try to lift the cover give the shaft a really good clean up removing all of the rust then a good dollop of petrolium jelly around the oil seal.
Chances are you will still wreck it but the shaft has to be cleaned in any case.
Also measure the depth of the oil seal before you remove it ( if you do ) because if driven too deep it restricts the oil flow .

Kba9

Kba9

And before you try to lift the cover give the shaft a really good clean up removing all of the rust then a good dollop of petrolium jelly around the oil seal.
Chances are you will still wreck it but the shaft has to be cleaned in any case.
Also measure the depth of the oil seal before you remove it ( if you do ) because if driven too deep it restricts the oil flow .
Well that doesn't look too great. What should I do from here.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Now the fun begins. You will need to turn the crankshaft till the timing marks on the cams match up to the marks on the crank gear. Then you can remove the camshafts being careful to keep things in order. There should be a thin metal washer on the bottom of the cam that doesn't drive the oil pump. Don't miss it. After the cams are out try to rotate the crankshaft. If still hard to turn timw to check the rod and crankshaft.

Kba9

Kba9

Now the fun begins. You will need to turn the crankshaft till the timing marks on the cams match up to the marks on the crank gear. Then you can remove the camshafts being careful to keep things in order. There should be a thin metal washer on the bottom of the cam that doesn't drive the oil pump. Don't miss it. After the cams are out try to rotate the crankshaft. If still hard to turn timw to check the rod and crankshaft.
The back part near the steering wheel is stopping me from turning it so I can align the dots.

B

bertsmobile1

That is the counter balance and it is broken, or rather the connecting rod is broken.
In an hour or so i will pop a photo on showing you what it should look like as I am about to split a bucket myself.
You are really lucky usually when that lets go the weight generally punches a nice big hole in the crankcase.
Go to the exploded view of the crankshaft to see the bits .
Been a while since I pulled one of them so not 100 % if the weight can come out without pulling the crank out .
IF so then the pulleys will have to come off the bottom.
I was wondering how you were going when I got this one which ate a push rod cap so now we know
It is on an eccentric .
You might be able to swing the weigh parallel to the end of the sump and if you hold it there you will be able to index the crankshaft.
When working properly it moves about 1" closer to the crankshaft at engine speed .

OH and you have just found the reason why the crank is hard to rotate .

B

bertsmobile1

Note the position of the counter weight in the video Bama posted a while back

Any what got mine done so here are some pickies
IMG_1991.JPG

Weight closes to crankcase

IMG_1992.JPG

Weight closest to crankshaft

IMG_1995.JPG

Note groove when the oil seal was running.
When you replace the oil seal tap it in about 1 mm higher so the lip is not in exactly the same place

IMG_1997.JPG
Drop the plate back onto the 4 shafts ( 2 cam, crank & counter weight )
DO NOT TAP IT HOME.
rotate the crank a few turns first to ensure everything is lined up
Generally the plate will drop all by itself ,'
But after you have rotated the crank you can VERY LIGHTLY tap the plate but I prefer to pull it down the last bit with the bolts.
There front ones MUST HAVE BLUE LOCKTITE on the bottome 1/2" as they are probe to vibrating loose.
I swap the bolts front to back because the back ones will be clean .
Tighten them slowly and diagonally like a head or you can & will warp the plate .

Attachments

Kba9

Kba9

That is the counter balance and it is broken, or rather the connecting rod is broken.
In an hour or so i will pop a photo on showing you what it should look like as I am about to split a bucket myself.
You are really lucky usually when that lets go the weight generally punches a nice big hole in the crankcase.
Go to the exploded view of the crankshaft to see the bits .
Been a while since I pulled one of them so not 100 % if the weight can come out without pulling the crank out .
IF so then the pulleys will have to come off the bottom.
I was wondering how you were going when I got this one which ate a push rod cap so now we know
It is on an eccentric .
You might be able to swing the weigh parallel to the end of the sump and if you hold it there you will be able to index the crankshaft.
When working properly it moves about 1" closer to the crankshaft at engine speed .

OH and you have just found the reason why the crank is hard to rotate .
First off, I appreciate all the help and effort. Very kind of you and everyone on this forum. So alls I have to do is take apart the counter weight and get a new one?

Kba9

Kba9

Note the position of the counter weight in the video Bama posted a while back

Any what got mine done so here are some pickies
View attachment 51277

Weight closes to crankcase

View attachment 51278

Weight closest to crankshaft

View attachment 51280

Note groove when the oil seal was running.
When you replace the oil seal tap it in about 1 mm higher so the lip is not in exactly the same place

View attachment 51281
Drop the plate back onto the 4 shafts ( 2 cam, crank & counter weight )
DO NOT TAP IT HOME.
rotate the crank a few turns first to ensure everything is lined up
Generally the plate will drop all by itself ,'
But after you have rotated the crank you can VERY LIGHTLY tap the plate but I prefer to pull it down the last bit with the bolts.
There front ones MUST HAVE BLUE LOCKTITE on the bottome 1/2" as they are probe to vibrating loose.
I swap the bolts front to back because the back ones will be clean .
Tighten them slowly and diagonally like a head or you can & will warp the plate .

I could swing it left and right. But I don't see where it's supposed to be attached to a connecting rod.

B

bertsmobile1

If you swing it t the right as seen in the photo you should be able to rotate the crank.
You might need to do both at the same time .
You have the Mk I version which predates me by some time Just under the gear which turns the cams is the cam that moves the counterweight you will see that it is off set to the axis of the crankcase to give the to & fro motion.
Don't know what stops that version from moving left right
You will need to get your hands on a parts breakdown to see what is there .
The counterweight is in 2 parts held together with a long bolt.
Mine has a connecting rod that is bolted to the crankcase to keep it moving in the correct plane .
Yours has a "guide plate" but how that works is beyond me .
If some one does not chime in with better information drop a PM To Illengine, Rivets or Startech they have been at this game a lot longer than me .
Scrounges around the dead engine room but all of the dead Kohlers are the latter type like shown in my photos & the video .

Kba9

Kba9

If you swing it t the right as seen in the photo you should be able to rotate the crank.
You might need to do both at the same time .
You have the Mk I version which predates me by some time Just under the gear which turns the cams is the cam that moves the counterweight you will see that it is off set to the axis of the crankcase to give the to & fro motion.
Don't know what stops that version from moving left right
You will need to get your hands on a parts breakdown to see what is there .
The counterweight is in 2 parts held together with a long bolt.
Mine has a connecting rod that is bolted to the crankcase to keep it moving in the correct plane .
Yours has a "guide plate" but how that works is beyond me .
If some one does not chime in with better information drop a PM To Illengine, Rivets or Startech they have been at this game a lot longer than me .
Scrounges around the dead engine room but all of the dead Kohlers are the latter type like shown in my photos & the video .

Page C looks like it. Any thoughts?

I

ILENGINE

Flip the top cover over and see if there is an alignment slot that the tab on top of the counterweight may be designed to run in,

B

bertsmobile1

Well that might explain the shrapnel siting inside the engine in his second photo.
Going to physio tomorrow but will dig a couple of deaden out of the krapper box.
looks like there are 2 closure plates 20 009 10-S ( early ) and 20 009 35 -S ( late ) both a little $$$$
At least they are both listed.
FWIW now I looked up the engine on Jacks site rather than using the Huaqvarna IPL I had on file there is a con rod for the counter weight in on the bottom on early engines.
For some strange reson my browser will not connect to e-replacements parts any more ( security setting that can not over ride )

Kba9

Kba9

Well that might explain the shrapnel siting inside the engine in his second photo.
Going to physio tomorrow but will dig a couple of deaden out of the krapper box.
looks like there are 2 closure plates 20 009 10-S ( early ) and 20 009 35 -S ( late ) both a little $$$$
FWIW now I looked up the engine on Jacks site rather than using the Huaqvarna IPL I had on file there is a con rod for the counter weight in on the bottom on early engines.
For some strange reson my browser will not connect to e-replacements parts any more ( security setting that can not over ride )

Around 8:40 of this video it shows the weight of the counter balance that's on the bottom. I'll drain the rest of the oil and see if there's one on the bottom.

Kba9

Kba9

Flip the top cover over and see if there is an alignment slot that the tab on top of the counterweight may be designed to run in,
Looks like it does get held in from the cover. https://ibb.co/XZh2YQG

Kba9

Kba9

Ya the bottom counter weight is there.

B

bertsmobile1

Around 8:40 of this video it shows the weight of the counter balance that's on the bottom. I'll drain the rest of the oil and see if there's one on the bottom.
And a painful video it was to watch.
Reusing a split gasket on an engine where the gasket sets the end float , no leakdown test , didn't even check the valves seating with water / fuel etc after stating it had low compression, which it does not because the exhasut cam has a decompressor which was not shown to be checked before reassembly , putting scratch marks in a plastic cam rather than turning the crank to align the timing marks ( alternative is to mark with a sharpie & scratch a lin in that or use paint pen ) . I can understand he was working on a budget but it is the sort of thing that makes real mechanics cringe.

But at lease it was your motor
Looks like Kohler shifted the counter weight con rod to the top of the engine .
so you will have con rod on the bottom and a slot on the top which explains why it is called a GUIDE block in the parts book.

Kba9

Kba9

Reusing a split gasket on an engine where the gasket sets the end float , no leakdown test , didn't even check the valves seating with water / fuel etc after stating it had low compression, which it does not because the exhasut cam has a decompressor which was not shown to be checked before reassembly , putting scratch marks in a plastic cam rather than turning the crank to align the timing marks ( alternative is to mark with a sharpie & scratch a lin in that or use paint pen ) . I can understand he was working on a budget but it is the sort of thing that makes real mechanics cringe.

so you will have con rod on the bottom and a slot on the top which explains why it is called a GUIDE block in the parts book.

Sorry I'm a little confused. So should I Mark a spot on the cams and begin taking it apart?

Kba9

Kba9

Seems like that ring is broken. Nearest to the spark plug hole, right under the cam. Is it a worthy/no expensive fix?

B

bertsmobile1

You should be able to rotate the crankshaft now that you have got the top counterweight off the crank case.
Ideally you should always pull a single cylinder engine down at TDC on the firing stroke so neither of the valves are pressing on the cam.
Obviously you can not do this with a multi cylinder engine.
There are already marks on the gears & crankshaft so why not use them ?
Not really sure of your photo can you pull back on it a bit please ?
need to know which bit has the chunks out of it .
Also need to see the underside of the closure plate to see if there is a channel for the guide to run in and what condition it is in.
All of mine are the Mk II version.
Closure plates are expensive new but most repair only shops like mine will have a shed full of these engines because of the problem with the bolts coming loose & trashing the crankcase.
I have a heap waiting for me to try & weld back together but I can fit a Kawasaki engine cheaper to the customer with a 5 years warranty so it s a no brainer for them .
The eventual decision will of course be yours but we need to see the full extent of the damage first
Right now looks like a closure plate top counterweight & counter weight bolt , all very doable and not too expensive particularly if you can get some reasonable used parts .

Kba9

Kba9

You should be able to rotate the crankshaft now that you have got the top counterweight off the crank case.
Ideally you should always pull a single cylinder engine down at TDC on the firing stroke so neither of the valves are pressing on the cam.
Also need to see the underside of the closure plate to see if there is a channel for the guide to run in and what condition it is in.
Closure plates are expensive new but most repair only shops like mine will have a shed full of these engines because of the problem with the bolts coming loose & trashing the crankcase.
I have a heap waiting for me to try & weld back together but I can fit a Kawasaki engine cheaper to the customer with a 5 years warranty so it s a no brainer for them .
The eventual decision will of course be yours but we need to see the full extent of the damage first
Right now looks like a closure plate top counterweight & counter weight bolt , all very doable and not too expensive particularly if you can get some reasonable used parts .

Looks like it's intact

Kba9

Kba9

Piston rod seems to be cracked

Kba9

Kba9

Any ideas Bert's?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Is the connecting rod seized on the crank journal? If the engine is run low on oil it is usually the first thing to happen bad. Can you remove the con rod bolts?

Kba9

Kba9

Is the connecting rod seized on the crank journal? If the engine is run low on oil it is usually the first thing to happen bad. Can you remove the con rod bolts?
Not sure if it's seized. I can wiggle the rod side to side

B

bertsmobile1

rom where you are now , just pull the whole thing apart.
The gear wheel will prize off , don't loose the key then undo the counter weight bolt and it should lift strait off.
After that it is undo the con rod and push the piston up into the bore
From there the crankshaft should pull strait out leaving the lower 1/2 of the counter weight in the case.
We need to see all of the running surfaces .
The piston comes out through the top but for now just pull it out as far as it will go int the case & check the con rod for cracks or chunks missing and of course take photos.
Once we have seen what the rest of the engine looks like an assesment can be made about repair.
Kohler pars are no where near as cheap as Briggs parts so the parts bill can make a repair uneconomic compared to a replacement very quickly.
Kohler use a much stronger ring than Briggs do so when trying to move the piston in the bore it can feel very hard to push where as a Briggs piston will push up with you little finger easliy.
This can make you think that the crankshaft is "hard " to turn or not free turning if you like.
A trap I fell into when starting off so spent a lot of time retensioning Kohler con rods that were fine in the first place.
I doubt that your rod is seized , your problems should all be around that counterweight.

Kba9

Kba9

rom where you are now , just pull the whole thing apart.
The gear wheel will prize off , don't loose the key then undo the counter weight bolt and it should lift strait off.
After that it is undo the con rod and push the piston up into the bore
From there the crankshaft should pull strait out leaving the lower 1/2 of the counter weight in the case.
We need to see all of the running surfaces .
The piston comes out through the top but for now just pull it out as far as it will go int the case & check the con rod for cracks or chunks missing and of course take photos.
Once we have seen what the rest of the engine looks like an assesment can be made about repair.
Kohler pars are no where near as cheap as Briggs parts so the parts bill can make a repair uneconomic compared to a replacement very quickly.
Kohler use a much stronger ring than Briggs do so when trying to move the piston in the bore it can feel very hard to push where as a Briggs piston will push up with you little finger easliy.
This can make you think that the crankshaft is "hard " to turn or not free turning if you like.
A trap I fell into when starting off so spent a lot of time retensioning Kohler con rods that were fine in the first place.
I doubt that your rod is seized , your problems should all be around that counterweight.

Can't take it out, I tried unbolting from the bottom of the pulley and no matter which way I turn it won't loosen up.

B

bertsmobile1

The gear has to come off first .
It will simply prise up off the crank with a couple of screwdrivers.
he only thing holding it on is the top cover and the key in the side.

Kba9

Kba9

The gear has to come off first .
It will simply prise up off the crank with a couple of screwdrivers.
he only thing holding it on is the top cover and the key in the side.

Ok what should I be looking for next?

B

bertsmobile1

Provided you have taken the pulleys off from underneath the crank should pull strait out leaving the other 1/2 of the counterweight sitting on the bottom of the sump.
I never reuse the old oil seal because if they leak or split most people do not notice it till the last drop of oil has exited stage left and the engine siezes .
If you want to chance it then clean the crankshaft bright & shinny to avoid damaging the lip of the seal.
From memory there is a seal & gasket kit that comes with both seals ( same on this model ) which is a little cheaper than buying the lot individually.
Not sure how the bottom counter weight comes out because I have not done this exact model before.
There should be some sort of retainer to hold the little control rod on which is not shown in my parts books.
Once the crank is out you should be able to see what needs to be done.
Yours should be broken because if not the counterweight could not have moved that far sideways.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Can't tell exactly from the pic but with the top piece of counter weigt off you should be able to remove the connecting rod cap bolts, push the piston and rod out the top of the engine then pull the crankshaft out of the crankcase.

B

bertsmobile1

Oooh yes, remove the con rod that would be a good idea that I forgot to mention.
Really need to stop drinking this red when sitting at the computer.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Oooh yes, remove the con rod that would be a good idea that I forgot to mention.
Really need to stop drinking this red when sitting at the computer.
Hey man, if it wasn't for my friend Sam Adams helping out i would never get anything done LOL

Kba9

Kba9

I can't get the pulley off. No matter which way I turn the bolt it just spins but won't loosen

Kba9

Kba9

I've taken the top con weight out. And the piston completely out. Just can't get things pulley off.

Kba9

Kba9

I've taken the top con weight out. And the piston completely out. Just can't get things pulley off.
Never mind. Everything is out. https://ibb.co/d0wHTPT

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Never mind. Everything is out. https://ibb.co/d0wHTPT
Kinda what i thought. Looks like the rod was seizing on the crank journal. Can you get a pic of the rod and cap bearing surfaces? If you know what you are doing you can clean the aluminum off the crank and fit a new rod. Was probably run low on oil.

Kba9

Kba9

Kinda what i thought. Looks like the rod was seizing on the crank journal. Can you get a pic of the rod and cap bearing surfaces? If you know what you are doing you can clean the aluminum off the crank and fit a new rod. Was probably run low on oil.
Could you send me an example of a rod and cap bearing

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Sorry i wasn't clear. The connecting rod where it rides against the crankshaft journal is the bearing surface and the same fo rhe rod cap. Automotive engines will have a separate bearing insert but most small engines just have the aluminum rod against the steel crankshaft. When an engine is run low on oil usually this is where you see a problem first. Overheats and transfers aluminum to the steel crankshaft. Connecting rod easy to swap out but crank can be expensive.

B

bertsmobile1

Degrease the crank shaft then clean the aluminium off with hydrochloric acid ( muriatic is the same just a lower grade )
Don't leave it sit in there for hours it should dissolve off in about 10 minutes.
neutralize the the acid bath with pool chlorine and it will be safe to tip down the drain ( might be illegal in some places ) .
Then ake some close ups of the big end journal.
usually they cleanup OK but if there are grooves into the surface deep enough to catch your fingernail the journal is toast.
Some times a light polish will be OK but generally it is new crank time.

Once we have determined if the crankshaft needs replacing then it is time to start adding up the parts required and come to a decision..
Was there a rod under the bottom counterweight ?
What does the bottom of the crankcase look like.

And congratualtions well done thus far .

Kba9

Kba9

Worth mentioning that the piston connecting rod is cracked and both sides. I took a picture of the crank, is this where I should be checking for deep groves, where the connecting rod meets the crank right?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Bert gave you a good way to try and save the crank. If you do go the acid route after you remove the aluminium you can use red scotchbrite to clean up the crank. Don't use sand paper or Emery paper. You don't want to remove steel, you just want to polish any high ridges from scoring. After that bolt the new rod on and see if it tuns smoothly on the crank. If it doesn't you need to polish a little more. If it does turn smoothly you can get a product called plasiguage to check the clearance. I have saved a few engines with less than perfect crank journals after they seized a rod.

B

bertsmobile1

Don't look all that bad.
Rod is obviously deceased.
Nothing lurking in that oil on the bottom ?

Kba9

Kba9

Don't look all that bad.
Rod is obviously deceased.
Nothing lurking in that oil on the bottom ?
Not that I can tell

Kba9

Kba9

Not that I can tell
The shaft seems to be in pretty good condition. Should I just order a new piston rod and start putting things back together. Also do I have to lube the shaft up and how do I re-time it.

B

bertsmobile1

BEfore you go ordering parts we still have to work out why the counterweight broke free and was side on in your engine.
It was the counteweight that caused the rod to break but something else allowed the counteweight to shift from it's normal position.
Despite being an earlier model, your counterweight should only be able to move the same as the one in the photos I posted of a latter model back in reply # 18
So we need to see the bottom of that crankcase without any oil in it and the underside of the top closure plate .
No use buying a new con rod & piston if the counterweight does the same thing the minute you fire up the rebuilt engine.
And are you sure t needs a new piston ? and not just a rod ?
Was there damage to the piston ?

I ask you this because Kohler parts are no where near as cheap as Briggs parts and you can easy run up $ 300 to $ 400 in part and still end up with a broken engine.

Counter weighs would usually only break away if the governor failed and the engine drasically over reved or the bolt that holds the two halves together vibrated loose & the two halves parted company.

The two important questions are always
What has failed ?
&
Why did it fail ?
So at the minimum you will need :-
Con rod
Balance weight tie bolt
Gaskets & seals
Bottle or spray can of Assembly Lube .

Looks like the counterweight is assembled onto the crankshaft before the crankshaft is installed into the crankcase .
As for timing,
The cams hare the same and the cam gears have a timing mark for both inlet & exhaust
The gear you prised off the crankshaft has 2 timing marks on it
So it is just a case of aligning the dots

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

When you assemble thw engine if i remember correctly you put the bottom counter weight on the crank and install in crankcase. Then install piston and rod into block and attach rod to crank then install top counterweight link and bolt that hold counter weight. Been a while but i think that is how i did it. Kohler thinks their parts are special and over price them. Just one more reason to dislike Kohler. Price an OEM carb sometime.

Kba9

Kba9

Ok so i started taking a look at it again. I noticed that there was no ring on the top counter weight and it was stuck in the crank. I managed to get it off but there's metal still stuck on there. Do you believe this is the problem? And is the crank done?

B

bertsmobile1

IT should prize off but of course it is stuffed.
The bearing is not listed as being a repacement part.
SO you will need to take both the cleaned crank shaft ( bearing removed ) and the counter weight to a bearing shop.
There will be a replacement available but you might need to trim it to width.

Sort of glad you found that because it explains the out of position counterweight.

Kba9

Kba9

SO you will need to take both the cleaned crank shaft ( bearing removed ) and the counter weight to a bearing shop.

Sort of glad you found that because it explains the out of position counterweight.
Yeah it's been take off. But there's still metal left from it

Kba9

Kba9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153768425198 you think this would be cheaper option?

B

bertsmobile1

Well he is obviously a mower breaker by the looks of his other items and has a vary good feedback score so i would be happy buying it form him at least
OTOH I would never fit a used bolt.
Seen way too many where the bolt has let go so they are new only .
Been a bit of a long trip hasen't it but looking good now.

Kba9

Kba9

Well he is obviously a mower breaker by the looks of his other items and has a vary good feedback score so i would be happy buying it form him at least
OTOH I would never fit a used bolt.
Seen way too many where the bolt has let go so they are new only .
Been a bit of a long trip hasen't it but looking good now.

Is there a way to take the metal off the crank. This is from the top counter weight. Left alot of metal almost welded together

B

bertsmobile1

Same as the con rod journal.
A touch of hydrochloric acid if it is alloy or a strong caustic soda solution ( lye ? ) if it is white metal.
some careful scraping .

Kba9

Kba9

Same as the con rod journal.
A touch of hydrochloric acid if it is alloy or a strong caustic soda solution ( lye ? ) if it is white metal.
some careful scraping .

Bought some muratic acid, it's taking quite a bit of effort with a soft metal pad to take it off.

B

bertsmobile1

Bought some muratic acid, it's taking quite a bit of effort with a soft metal pad to take it off.
The best acid is nitric acid but that is quite dangerious and lets off highly toxic fumes .
Nitric acid also attacks the steel a lot more than the hydrochloric will
Down here it is scheduled
Hydrochliric will work, it just takes more effort