19 HP Kohler engine - on a Troy bilt 6605

Kba9

Threads
Picked up a riding mower for cheap(my first one). Thought I'd make a project out of it. Bought a new battery. All's I heard was a click from the starter. Went back and fourth, got another new battery, the solenoid checked out. Realized it's a flywheel that's not moving. I can move it with a ratchet wrench but it takes a good amount of effort. So I started adjusting the valves. Still hard to move the flywheel. I put PB blaster the spark plug hole. Still not much progress. The Piston is moving up and down. The blades are not engaged. Any help would be appreciated.

dougand3

Threads
If valves are set correctly, could be compression release has failed. Don't know what it is on Kohler...some are levers that tick a valve at low RPM, some are a funny ground camshaft.
Other possibilities: Weak starter, Poor electrical connections in circuit to starter, Poor ground from battery, Solenoid clicks (plate moves down to connect 2 big poles) but plate is burned badly and not much juice flows.
Post your engine model# for better answers.

Kba9

Threads
If valves are set correctly, could be compression release has failed. Don't know what it is on Kohler...some are levers that tick a valve at low RPM, some are a funny ground camshaft.
Other possibilities: Weak starter, Poor electrical connections in circuit to starter, Poor ground from battery, Solenoid clicks (plate moves down to connect 2 big poles) but plate is burned badly and not much juice flows.
Post your engine model# for better answers.
Engine model # SV590S
I checked all the connections and made sure everything was okay. Still nothing. I can't spin the flywheel very easy. Takes 2 hands with alot of effort and that's without the spark plug.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a seized & now free engine.
However before you start, whip the belt off just in case the mower is adding drag to the engine.
'Do not keep spinning it .
Koher parts are not as cheap as Briggs parts so if it is internal engine drag I would pull the engine .
Clean up the PTO really well then lift the sump ,
Look inside for alloy grindings and into the bores for scoring .
The sump gasket is 1/2 the price of a head gasket & there are 2 of those, hence remove the sump .
With the sump off you can take the con rod caps off & check for scoring ( low oil )

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bucket engine. Need to remove the blower housing and the flywheel and the other stuff on the top of the engine. Then remove the top cover and you can check everything from their.

Kba9

Threads
Ok I've never taken a mower engine apart, yet a engine this big. But I'm more than willing to do it. So I'd need a strap wrench to begin with for the flywheel?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post # 3
2 hands to revolve the flywheel even with the plugs out.

Bucket engine. Need to remove the blower housing and the flywheel and the other stuff on the top of the engine. Then remove the top cover and you can check everything from their.

If this is a bucket engine , closure plate on the top and no sump then you are in luck because it can stay in the mower, just slip both belts off the pulley .
Download the manual Rivets linked you to .Note Kohler fasteners are metric .
Take off the blower housing ( 4 x m 10 bolts from above ) and remove the fuel lines & dip stick, cover pulls strait up.
Then look at the 4 bolts at the front that hold the plate on.
Very good chance they have backed out and are fouling on the flywheel . Quick solution is to tighten them back up and check every season when you take that cover off to clean the cooling fins.
Slightly harder is to pull the flywheel remove the loose bolts, replace them with new ones using a dab of blue locktite .

Flywheel generally comes off easy no need for a strap wrench but a deceint rattle gun is worthwhile .
Remove the plug rotate the engine till it is at bottom dead center and the inlet valve ( one on the carb side ) is closed then feed as much nylon rope down the plug hole as you can, with at least a foot or so hanging out
Rotate the engine till the rope is compressed the engine is now locked and you can undo the flywheel.

Kba9

Threads
Post # 3
2 hands to revolve the flywheel even with the plugs out.

If this is a bucket engine , closure plate on the top and no sump then you are in luck because it can stay in the mower, just slip both belts off the pulley .
Download the manual Rivets linked you to .Note Kohler fasteners are metric .
Take off the blower housing ( 4 x m 10 bolts from above ) and remove the fuel lines & dip stick, cover pulls strait up.
Then look at the 4 bolts at the front that hold the plate on.
Very good chance they have backed out and are fouling on the flywheel . Quick solution is to tighten them back up and check every season when you take that cover off to clean the cooling fins.
Slightly harder is to pull the flywheel remove the loose bolts, replace them with new ones using a dab of blue locktite .

Flywheel generally comes off easy no need for a strap wrench but a deceint rattle gun is worthwhile .
Remove the plug rotate the engine till it is at bottom dead center and the inlet valve ( one on the carb side ) is closed then feed as much nylon rope down the plug hole as you can, with at least a foot or so hanging out
Rotate the engine till the rope is compressed the engine is now locked and you can undo the flywheel.
Ok this is how far I've gotten. What am I looking at next?