180 bogs down

tugalo

Forum Newbie
Hello Newbie here, this is my first post.

I have a JD 180, mid 80's model i think, 5 speed. it has been the finest mower i have ever owned, but lately has a problem. When i cut heavy grass, it bogs down and will stop completely. when it bogs, if i stomp on the clutch and flip off the blade drive, it will recover. it surges a bit, then runs strong again. seems as if the heavy grass is putting a load on the engine and the governor is not speeding it up to compensate. What do you think? carburetor or something in the belt drive system.
 
Kawasaki FC540V?
that bit of Surging is caused a by a lean running condition.... so it could be you have some trash in the bowl.. is the fuel filter flowing good? is it new?
 
Okay, your replies got me thinking and a lean condition sounded reasonable. I drive a 1988 Jeep Comanche so i am used to troubleshooting instead of changing a bunch of parts. I cleaned and regapped the plug, changed the fuel filter, and blew out the fuel lines, the 180 cut one acre this afternoon with no stoppages. Thanks for the tips and good advice, now to go sharpen the blades...........
 
Okay, your replies got me thinking and a lean condition sounded reasonable. I drive a 1988 Jeep Comanche so i am used to troubleshooting instead of changing a bunch of parts. I cleaned and regapped the plug, changed the fuel filter, and blew out the fuel lines, the 180 cut one acre this afternoon with no stoppages. Thanks for the tips and good advice, now to go sharpen the blades...........
Don't forget to remove the top engine cover and clean all the dirt, oil, grass and bugs from the engine block cooling fins yearly. If you neglect this, look for engine damage coming your way.

slomo
 
Back
Top