18.5 Briggs floods

metalhead63

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just joined because I am at a loss. Please help!!
I have a JD Z mower with 18.5 B/S that has a Nikki Carb with solenoid, and a fuel pump. Gas freely flows from tank, through fuel pump, carb and into cylinder. I have done this:
1. removed/disassembled/cleaned carb (no, it does not have a needle valve seat)
2. replaced solenoid.
3. replaced fuel pump.

Only way fuel does not flow is because I added a shut off valve. Otherwise it fills cylinder and backs up into air intake tube.

Model 31P707 code 0123 E1

No valve seat, valve seats on the plastic inlet.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your engine's model/type/code numbers,
Nikkis inlet needles are expensive, but that is leaking and causing your problem.

metalhead63

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post your engine's model/type/code numbers,
Nikkis inlet needles are expensive, but that is leaking and causing your problem.

But with carburetor removed, fuel flows freely through diaphragm pump, just sitting there, not running.. I have never seen that. It's like, with fuel flowing like that, why have a pump?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well the tank must be above the engine, MTD just gets a deal on many pallets of engines at a time, if the engines have a fuel pump and don't need it, they don't take the time to remove them, they just slap them on the tractor and ship them.

metalhead63

Forum Newbie
Threads
But this is a new issue. Been running fine. I have never seen fuel flow through fuel pump when not running.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Briggs

Here is a blowup of the engine, the inlet needle is ref#105, with a new one of those, and that danged bowl gasket, the cost of parts is already over $30.