17hp Briggs and Stratton Opposed twin Throttle, and Governor linkage issues

metz12

Threads
  • / 17hp Briggs and Stratton Opposed twin Throttle, and Governor linkage issues
Hey all. Been a Looong time since I posted anything on here. Not even sure if any of the guys I used to talk with are still even on here! Anyways, here are my issues.

I just did a motor transplant to my 1980s MTD Garden Tractor that I am fixing up, to a 17hp Briggs opposed twin. I bought it not running well, with it only able to run on choke. The guy that had it before me tried cleaning the carb, did a bad job of it, I cleaned it all, and got the thing running without choke. Now, I am beating my head into a brick wall trying to figure out how the Throttle linkage works on these motors. I can get the throttle to move, but I cant get it to control the butterfly in the carburetor itself. There is also the governor involved in there, and that always scares me because I would hate to over rev the motor and send a rod into next week, and send me up river without a paddle. Does anyone have an actual Comprehensive Diagram, pictures, videos, ANYTHING that can help me out? I have done hours of research on the net here, and I cant find anything that helps. Normally I am pretty good with the 4 strokes, but I have never messed with an opposed. I can take videos and pictures of what is going on as well. Hopefully someone can give me a hand PLEASE!! Thank you very much in advance!

-Matt

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
matt,
The throttle control moves the governor arm usually via a spring.
the governor arm is connected to the butterfly
So go back to your manual and set the governor arm
Then connect it to the throttle control

Tinkerer200

Threads
I can take videos and pictures of what is going on as well. Hopefully someone can give me a hand PLEASE!! Thank you very much in advance!

-Matt[/QUOTE]

I can't tell you from memory but I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like. Address below, put in proper format and remind me what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

metz12

Threads
Thanks guys. But really what my problem is I cant even get the throttle linkage to move the arm, going up to the throttle plate. To get the motor to run, I have to hold the plate from the outside of the carb. Maybe tomorrow I can get a good video of it to throw up on here. Thanks!

Tinkerer200

Threads
Thanks guys. But really what my problem is I cant even get the throttle linkage to move the arm, going up to the throttle plate. To get the motor to run, I have to hold the plate from the outside of the carb. Maybe tomorrow I can get a good video of it to throw up on here. Thanks!

Well did you set the "static governor" setting? The manual I offered would have told you how to do that but standard procedure is to move the throttle plate to wide open throttle position. Watch what direction the governor shaft coming out the side of the block turns while doing this. Loosen the clamp holding the governor arm to the governor shaft, turn the governor shaft as far as it will go in the direction it moved and re-tighten the clamp all the time making sure the throttle plate stays in WOT position. Shaft will not move very far. IF the governor arm does not move now and the accompanying linkage when the engine starts, then there is a problem with the governor.

Walt Conner