17.5 hp motor won't start

Nosnow

Forum Newbie
I have a kid lawn mower with a 17.5 LUV motor was running on. Son said there was a loud pop and then it died. It will turn over and pops once in a while won't start. Any ideas
 
I have a kid lawn mower with a 17.5 LUV motor was running on. Son said there was a loud pop and then it died. It will turn over and pops once in a while won't start. Any ideas

Remove the valve cover and examine the valve action. Are the push rods in place? Not bent? Valves work? Both move the same amount? Would suspect thrown rod except you would not get an occasional pop if that were the case. I can send you a Service Manual for your engine IF you like, address below, put in proper format and remind me engine model number and what you want.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com
 
It is a 17.5 I/C OHV
Family YBXSX.50112GO. 274826
If there is anything else you need let me know

From the further description it will be a 31 serious but that is not the model number which will be stamped into the valve cover starting with 31.

Walt Conner
 
Thanks for all your help. Took the cover off and cleaned out a rats nest off old clippings
Got it to run but still hard to start
 
No Snow I think he mean't the Valve cover not the air shroud cover, but you did great by taking the air shroud off and finding the nest....That should be done every spring anyway...

That's the main culprit for a lot of blown engines on mowers.........

Explain more on running hard.......

Let us know mon ami .........
 
On guys here we go again
My Intel 17.5 wouldn't run. Found a bent push for and replaced it now it turns over but backfires through the carburetor any ideas
 
Back
Top