17.5 Briggs and Stratton engine

Cannuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
17.5 Briggs and Stratton engine on a craftsman riding mower model 311707 starts but won't stay running seems to be starving for fuel. It has a new fuel filter (yes filter is in the right way) let the unit sit for a couple of minutes and it will start but won't stay running.Any ideas will be much appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post all numbers from engine: model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, code xxxxxxx.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
1.Remove fuel tank. Clean out 100% with compressed air. Install new fuel line, filter and shut off valve if you have room.
2.KEEP and remove OEM carb. Remove carb from engine. Break it down removing all small parts. Boil clean the carb on your stove top with water and those automatic dishwasher balls. Use a candy thermometer to keep water/soap temp at 200F. Boil for 30 minutes. Rinse well in clean water to neutralize after. Reassemble carb. Flip carb over and blow test carb needle/seat. Should hold 7psi for 30 minutes.
3.Clean block and cooling fins YEARLY per your engine manual. Remove top metal engine shroud exposing cooling fins. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.
4.Adjust valves per your engine manual.
5.Decarbon cylinder and valves every 5 years or suggested interval in your engine manual. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.
6.Test ignition coil with old spark plug gaped to 0.250" or 1/4". Check for good blue spark. Check for spark if and when engine dies with inline spark tester.

Cannuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
model 311707, type 0132-E1, code 9906132D

Tinkerer200

Threads
Before you do all that, check that the gas cap vent hole is not obstructed.
Walt Conner

Cannuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone thanks for all the helpful advice, believe it or not the stripping of the carb and boiling it with a dishwasher pod for thirty minutes actually worked

Cannuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
1.Remove fuel tank. Clean out 100% with compressed air. Install new fuel line, filter and shut off valve if you have room.
2.KEEP and remove OEM carb. Remove carb from engine. Break it down removing all small parts. Boil clean the carb on your stove top with water and those automatic dishwasher balls. Use a candy thermometer to keep water/soap temp at 200F. Boil for 30 minutes. Rinse well in clean water to neutralize after. Reassemble carb. Flip carb over and blow test carb needle/seat. Should hold 7psi for 30 minutes.
3.Clean block and cooling fins YEARLY per your engine manual. Remove top metal engine shroud exposing cooling fins. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.
5.Decarbon cylinder and valves every 5 years or suggested interval in your engine manual. Neglect this and you will get engine damage.
6.Test ignition coil with old spark plug gaped to 0.250" or 1/4". Check for good blue spark. Check for spark if and when engine dies with inline spark tester.
thanks the boiling part actually worked

Cannuck

Forum Newbie
Threads
i will be pulling that shroud before I put it back in service

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post pictures of your filthy block and cooling fins please. Remove it all down to the flywheel.

Several people are saying they pulled the shroud and all was clean. Every, I repeat, every used mower I've bought or curb grabbed, there is a ton of cleaning to do. Fins and block all slathered with oil/grass/dirt and valves, piston and head are loaded with carbon.

If you engine is over 5 years old you've got work to do.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Again every year of mowing this is a must. If you have a bagger, even more cleaning jobs are needed.