14hp briggs wont stay running.

Mwh0428

Threads
I have a 14hp Briggs vanguard off of a simplicity regent. The model is 28p777 type064 a1 code 952204b. It runs for one to two seconds and then dies and when it dose run it just goes to a high rpm and I can't control it. I just put a brand new $40.00 magneto on it. I think it's the carb but I don't know what's wrong. I cleaned the carb out in the beginning of this summer and then again in January but I just got the magneto now. If you could also tell me what year the mower is that would also be helpful.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine was built on February 20, 1995. Could possibly be a intake air leak. That would also explain the overrev and running issue. Other than that the overspeed could also be a governor problem.

Mwh0428

Threads
Thanks ilengine
I talked to one of my dads buddies and he told me that my jet is partially plugged. but i will replace the intake gasket(s), and check the carb and make sure the governor works correctly. Can anybody tell me how to check the governor, never had a problem with them before.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would get the carb, gasket issue fixed first, and then if it still overrevs then post back and will explain how to adjust governor and check governor operation.

Mwh0428

Threads
I am waiting for parts to come but I have to call them tomorrow. But I will let you know what happens

Mwh0428

Threads
It over revs big time I can't even control the speed of the motor.

Mwh0428

Threads
Oil now smells like it has a hint of gas in it but I need to adjust the carb

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure that the throttle linkages are hooked up correctly. Then move the throttle to the full throttle position. Identify which direction that the governor shaft coming out of the engine block turns. loosen the nut that holds the arm to the governor shaft and while holding the carb throttle shaft at the full wide open position turn the governor shaft in the direction that it turned in the previous step and retighten the nut. if it still runs too fast then the governor gear is most likely broken and will require removing the engine and take off the oil sump and replace the governor gear.