14.5 to 17.5 swap?

resuwrecked

Forum Newbie
Hey everyone. I have a '70-something cub cadet with a seized 14.5hp kohler. I found a local listing for a 17.5 kohler. Do the 14.5 and 17.5 have the same mounting pad bolt pattern?

And if i end up rebuilding the seized 14.5, where is the best place to get a complete rebuild kit?
 
Hi there,
you should have no problems swapping up to 17.5, as long
as both are vertical crank, bolt holes should match. I have
seen one kohler with a metric (25mm) shaft but most would
be 1". Only other consideration might be exhaust direction,
but cutting the hood may be an easy fix.
 
an engine swap!..cool!...can you take pictures before and after for us?
I hope he can! As I'll probably swap my mower's engine some time. It is only a 2.6HP, and I would like something more powerful, like perhaps a 4HP.

The 2.6 works fine, but whenever it hits a damp/dense patch of grass the engine shudders and slows down in RPM's, and only picks up again when it is past the damp/dense patch.
 
Back
Top