13.5 hp wiring for battery charge

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually only 238 watts on SSB but that was only on a repair into a massive oil cooled dummy load. Actually was upgrading a 10M mobile amp which I still have. It originally was 140W unit but I redid the transformers and a couple new transistors. My mail carrier couldn't believe the cost of the package that I got in; just had see what was in the package. It is was very low power compared to the 1.5KW peak base amplifier that I repaired the was originally a 300W that had incorrectly wound RF chokes in plate supply line to the four tubes. Boy those tubes went from having cherry red plates to a nice blue glow. The owner was a little ticked off when he smoked his RG mini 8 cables but I warned him the those 800w cables wouldn't handle the amplifier.

And boy I haven't seen a pair 3-500 in years. But most of the amps I repaired were using horizontal TV tubes. I was looking into building an amp with a pair ceramic tubes but I got unemployed at the time then parts became nearly impossible to find plus running my own took more time so I had little time to experiment building an amplifier.

But you don't need that kinda power to talk to Australia as I talked to a few operators there using less than 1W but of I was using a modified 4 element Moonraker using CP mode. Most times I used RH mode but a few times LH mode worked better.

That antenna ripped through the blocking of an 8 element beam antenna 40 miles away. That guy was bragging he could be block anybody. Any ways I had more fun using QRP power as locals couldn't heard me but they could hear the Aussies talking to me. I even had one local try using a 3KW amp to contact them with no luck. About broke my receiving meter needle. Boy was I laughing my socks off that night as I was using using only 1W.