10201 lawnboy refurb pics

Jim S

Threads
Hi guys,

You can see my other posts on this mower, I thought y'all might like to see a few pics. Not a resto but a refurb, I'm pleased, wife thinks I have gone round the bend. Paid $15.00 , $103 in parts, priceless.

Well I need some schooling on posting pictures.

Thanks,

Jim

jp1961

Threads
Jim,

If you have dialup like me (old school,,,lol), it may take a bit for the page to load to the point where you can upload an image.

Would like to see some pics.

Jeff

Jim S

Threads
039.jpg038.jpg001.jpg022.jpgwell,
Let's sse if this works.
020.jpg

jp1961

Threads
Sweeeet,,,nice job Jim!!!

Jeff

OutdoorEnvy

Threads
Nice man! That looks great, how does it run and mow?

Jim S

Threads
Thanks guys,

It runs great, starts first pull, thankfully. With no compression release a fella's right arm could almost be dragging the ground!!
Might have hot coil issue, but hard to pin-point. I just use this for close quarters mowing, so 20 minutes is all about I use it. With small wheels, a staggered and short wheel base it's not ideal for the vast majority of my yard. I do the rest of yard with my 12 yr old Murray rider.
Still very happy. Paint is grabber green by Dupli-color, from Advance. Thanks to Indy. It does take a week to fully cure and the jury is still out on has gas resistant it is.

I'm very happy, wife thinks I'm nuts.

Jim

Phototone

Threads
Why did you cut a hole in the top shroud?

Jim S

Threads
Hi Photo,

Very observant, I didn't cut that hole in there. As you can see in the pics I put up, someone had made a cover plate from some aluminum channel and sheet. Probably at some point this mower lived in a mobile home park here in S. Fla. As I mentioned, it is harder than other mowers to pull thru because there is no compression release. My only guess is that a prior owner figured he'd cut a hole in the shroud and then put a socket on a drill and start it like that. But the hadn't counted on the top engine shroud being in the way. So that's the story.

I did, however, get a new coil off e-bay and that stopped my hot start problem. I'm all in at $153.00 now.

As an aside, soon I think I will have to have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. That will put a stop to cranking anything for months.

Thanks,

Jim

Phototone

Threads
Quite honestly, I have many Lawnboy mowers with that engine, and not a single one is a chore to pull-start. The Lawnboys in general are easy pull starters. If you particular unit is extremely hard to start, then I think something is incorrect on it.

AnthemBassMan

Threads
I had that same model. The V Series engine on it had quite a lot of compression. I would pull the front end off the ground when starting it if I didn't ease it past the compression stroke first. Then one pull and the beast was alive!! One thing about that V Series engine though. It's way noisier than the older Lawn-Boys, but man does it have torque! Sounded like my old Penton dirt bike too. That engine would just about chew threw small trees without stumbling!

L8R,
Matt