10201 governor setting

Jim S

Threads
Hi all,

Back again in the continuing saga of this old lawnboy. You can see my other posts on this piece, I believe I am the only one with current posts on this model.
Anyway, was having hard re-starts when hot. I replaced the seals. Now my problem is with the governor setting. I set the initial adjustment per the manual, so the window is 3-4 clicks to the right of the center of the fully opened throttle butter fly. That gives ma 2750 or so, turning the adjusting collar a few clicks to the right (cw) increases the rpm, but causes the hook end of the governor spring to come out of "lever F". Then I have no throttle. I sure I haven't bent the spring and the slider is making contact with the choke plate lever.
I do need some advice, again.

Thanks,

Jim

beg

Threads
your collar is out of adjustment.take the carb off and you will see a mark on the air vane collar and the adjuster wheel.line the marks up and go 3 clicks to the left.I have never adjusted one with the butterfly open.there is a very exploited post on my tractor forum on the duraforce carb with pics.

Jim S

Threads
Thanks beg,

going to take carb off now. Where can I find your forum?
This is a Silver Series with a Walbro LMR-16. Don't think the duraforce is going to help, but I will check out the forum.

Thanks again,

Jim

Last edited:

beg

Threads
its not my forum its called "my tractor forum" but is sometimes referred to as MTF they have all the info you need on the duraforce carb.

Jim S

Threads
Hi guys,

Still no joy.

This is a walbro LMR-16 on a 1993 silver series Mod 10201. Not a duraforce. Motor has new seals. I put the old governor spring back in, it is stretched, but at least it doesn't come out of "lever F", like the new spring does. .Cranks fine cold. Hot start after 2 minutes sounds like it running out of gas, its not. Just 4 cycles along for 2 or 3 minutes. Then gets better. Seems almost like a vapor lock. Loosened gas cap no change.. Idle screw adjustment has no affect when it does this. Sprayed carb cleaner around carb mounting , no change. I'm running 32:1 gas w/ Poulan synthetic at 4oz/gal. Thinking I have way too much $ and time in this, it is my machine, and it is driving me nuts. Good thing I have 4 other mowers!

Any help welcome.

Thanks,

Jim

beg

Threads
sorry to send you on a wild goose chase you got the v force.most of the time I have found with that carb its the needle and seat.that screw you mentioned is an altitude adjustment screw and may have little to no effect on performence untill carb is functioning properly.

briggs206

Threads
man it sucks having the v force because it seems no one likes them or knows much about them. I have a 1996 silver series and I found my tiny little low speed port in the barrel of the carb was plugged. to properly clean it the bowl has to come off and the main jet/emulsion tube need to come out. I sprayed cleaner in the tiny port and it eventually came out the back side of the carb barrel. hope this helps.

beg

Threads
yeah nobody likes the v force do they?I found one in the trash one day bag and all.got a fleet of them I cant give away.They cant be all that bad they cut good and have tons of power just a little fussy sometimes.Just picked one up last night for 25.00 runs great The owner also sold me a gold series duraforce easy stride for 25.00 too.He just gave up on Lawnboys I guess.They can be expensive if you dont work on them yourself but thats what this forum is all about.

Jim S

Threads
Thanks, guys,

What would make it run so poorly on a hot start? I'll check hot compression tomorrow, but it sounds like a fuel problem. I'm stumped, why only on a hot restart?

Thanks,

Jim

beg

Threads
bad crank shaft seals would cause that.check for wetness