10 acres per week, $5k budget

terrip

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Kubota ZG327 with 60" cut. I bought it new and was going through buyers remorse for a while but that faded quickly when I realized I was cutting every inch of my 9+ acres with no pain in one day.

The difference between a home owner mower and a commercial machine is huge, way beyond the price difference. Now, 6 years later, I am show over 500 hours on this machine and it still starts right up and cuts and operates like it was new. Lots of blades and filters, more fuel put through this than my motorcycle but the lawn cutting is not the big problem that it was.

Re: the comment about using a Bush Hog and tractor, I have a Kubota 40 hp tractor with a loader and a 6' bush hog but if I were to use that for the acreage I am cutting it takes twice as long, lots of trees
and the turn radius for the tractor loader combo makes it a real chore. A number of fence posts have been broken and you still have to go back to trim around the trees and posts.
If this were an open area the tractor would win but that is not my case.

This is my first post and I look forward to being a part of the community here, I spend more time with my landscape gear than just about anything else except the horses!

bkeller500

Threads
How flat is that 10 acres? Any hills, berms or ditches? Any ponds or waterways? How rough is the property? Any trees, rocks, roots, gates or other obstacles? A ZT is likely to be a faster mow, but a Tractor may give you better traction and the ability to do other tasks. You can probably get a new unit in the $6 - $7K range with warranty rather than take a risk with a used unit. Many dealers are offering 0% financing on new units. The monthly payment on a new unit may put you into a more reliable ride. The cost of a more expensive unit over 10-years of ownership is not that much more per month if you do the math. Regrets last a long time. Nothing worse than purchasing the wrong unit and being disappointed every week as you mow those 10 acres. Do your home work. Ask questions. Talk to several dealers and look at several used units. Don't be in a hurry. If you miss a great deal, don't worry......there are more good deals out there.

terrip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before I bought my new ZG327 I blew 2k on a used Dixie Chopper, "well maintained" was the ad. Broken hour meter.

It was at one time a nice mower I am sure but when I got it the machine almost never made it through a cutting session without a repair of some type.

Very demoralizing, but at least it pointed me in the right direction.

MowManWV

Threads
Mow with a push mower and lose whatever weight you can. You're welcome.

LOL. (I do a lot of mowing with a push mower, have mowed over 3 hours non-stop with one, but that wasn't 10 acres!)

OP, what did you end up doing?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sheep, goats, and fence.
Other than that, an old Ford tractor and rotary mower.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mow with a push mower and lose whatever weight you can. You're welcome.

LOL. (I do a lot of mowing with a push mower, have mowed over 3 hours non-stop with one, but that wasn't 10 acres!)

OP, what did you end up doing?
Okay fella, that is MY LINE, LOL. ;) (y)

I have 5 Snapper push mowers, 3 are true pushers. Wife and I use them weekly for exercise and some "ROMANTIC" bonding..... :love:?

Back on topic, a tractor is the best tool for this guy. Course there is this way too.

MowManWV

Threads
slomo,

Glad you liked that! Neat video too.

In the process of getting my wife a self-propelled mower so she can help me mower easier. We are blessed to have wives that enjoy hard work.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
slomo,

Glad you liked that! Neat video too.

In the process of getting my wife a self-propelled mower so she can help me mower easier. We are blessed to have wives that enjoy hard work.
Everyone has to rush out and get 1500lb 0-turns these days. They rut the turf like mad and use a ton of 5 dollar a gallon gas. Cut terrible and are a pain to work on. Most people don't even have a way to get these mega mowers to the shop if needed. Got to keep up with the neighbors I guess?

I would be looking into a Toro Super Recycler. Nice aluminum deck and get that 190cc Briggs if I were you. Easier for the wife to mow with.

DK35vince

Threads
Everyone has to rush out and get 1500lb 0-turns these days. They rut the turf like mad and use a ton of 5 dollar a gallon gas. Cut terrible and are a pain to work on. Most people don't even have a way to get these mega mowers to the shop if needed. Got to keep up with the neighbors I guess?

I would be looking into a Toro Super Recycler. Nice aluminum deck and get that 190cc Briggs if I were you. Easier for the wife to mow with.
The OP is mowing 10 acres.
A push mower ???
Most 1500lb zero turn with a 60-72" deck would knock that out in a few hours, would hold up for many years, are easy to work on , and the cut is very good. (I know mine are)
The right tool for the job has nothing to do with "keep up to the neighbors"

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OP is mowing 10 acres.
A push mower ???
Most 1500lb zero turn with a 60-72" deck would knock that out in a few hours, would hold up for many years, are easy to work on , and the cut is very good. (I know mine are)
The right tool for the job has nothing to do with "keep up to the neighbors"
Yes push mowers. 10 acres and a tiny 60"-72" mower would take a while.