1/2 acre - replace my walk behind with a Toro SS4235 ZTR for time savings?

fireman949

Threads
  • / 1/2 acre - replace my walk behind with a Toro SS4235 ZTR for time savings?
I'm really curious to see how it does. Please post after you get a chance to use it!

I'll do one better, I'll post some pics now. The 42" deck is perfect for my garage and if I can take the discharge guard off once the mulch kit is installed, it will be even better.

I fertilized 5 weeks ago. The rain ends tomorrow, and the grass is growing like a weed, squeezing out the weeds.....crap that doesn't matter to us non-golf course owners.

But.. but.. isn't' that the goal? The gentleman who delivered the toy couldn't get over how green and thick my yard was. I'm no expert, but 4 weeks ago, I scalped off the dead bermuda and dumped about 75# of 34-0-0 right before a nice soaking rain. Here in north MS, we've had a very nice mild and wet few weeks so all that nitrogen took hold and impressed the delivery driver.

I'll post some better pics and my completely non-professional non-mower connoisseur opinion just as soon as I can get it in the yard without making ruts.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 28
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 23

sps

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll do one better, I'll post some pics now. The 42" deck is perfect for my garage and if I can take the discharge guard off once the mulch kit is installed, it will be even better.

But.. but.. isn't' that the goal? The gentleman who delivered the toy couldn't get over how green and thick my yard was. I'm no expert, but 4 weeks ago, I scalped off the dead bermuda and dumped about 75# of 34-0-0 right before a nice soaking rain. Here in north MS, we've had a very nice mild and wet few weeks so all that nitrogen took hold and impressed the delivery driver.

I'll post some better pics and my completely non-professional non-mower connoisseur opinion just as soon as I can get it in the yard without making ruts.

Thanks for posting the pics for us! I'm excited to hear the results - especially since your grass is so thick (and probably long by the time the rain lets you mow!).

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Haha! It's a test! Same issue here, but I fertilized 5 weeks ago. The rain ends tomorrow, and the grass is growing like a weed, squeezing out the weeds. The wife is actually motivated to give this a try (after 10 yrs :rolleyes:), who could say no? for 5 minutes?

I think the tip speed is a minor thing, given we all are coming from single cylinder tractors, and getting overly hung up on technical crap that doesn't matter to us non-golf course owners.

RatRacer,
I hear ya......of course deck design and blade tip speed "can" influence cut quality, but just for instance a $3199 entry level 50" Gravely ZT has a BTS of 17,800 fpm and a commercial $7499 52" Gravely Pro-Turn XDZ100 has 18,000 fpm. Just how much difference could that make(definitely not $4,300 worth:0)

P.S.
And no one worries about the blade tip speed(seldom if ever given) on a lawn tractor and some of those give a very professional cut quality. There's just more to it than BTS!!

fireman949

Threads
10 years later :
I used the Hustler for 7 years prior to moving to Colorado. It stayed with the house and from what my old neighbor tells me, it's still running as good as the day I bought it. I miss the mower and the larger yard - don't miss the humidity or living near the Memphis crime scene, but it was a great mower and I'd buy another one if we get a larger property out here.