05 Scag 19 hp Kawasaki cuts off

RobertHB

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced coils, carb, filters. Ran perfectly first cut. Next weekend, back to the same stuff, cuts off after about 10 minutes. Won't turn over or anything till a few minutes have passed. Starts up, run about 10 or so minutes...again and again.
I did notice one time that the park brake when released wants to stall, so unplugged it when running. Still will do the stall routine after 10 or so minutes. Scratching my head.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First we need to figure out if it is an electrical or fuel problem. This is what I would do. Get an inline tester at your local auto parts store. The next time it stalls, insert the tester in the spark plug line and check for spark. No spark, electrical problem. Spark, fuel problem. If a fuel problem the first thing I would do is remove the gas cap and see if it will start. Cap vent may be plugge, causing a vacuum in the tank. If the unit restarts run the unit to confirm a bad cap. Report back with your findings.

RobertHB

Forum Newbie
Threads
First we need to figure out if it is an electrical or fuel problem. This is what I would do. Get an inline tester at your local auto parts store. The next time it stalls, insert the tester in the spark plug line and check for spark. No spark, electrical problem. Spark, fuel problem. If a fuel problem the first thing I would do is remove the gas cap and see if it will start. Cap vent may be plugge, causing a vacuum in the tank. If the unit restarts run the unit to confirm a bad cap. Report back with your findings.
Leaning towards electric. Cuts off like a switch. Then like having no battery, switch does nothing for a bit, then fires up.
Definitely feel like I need an ignition switch....but also think something in the safely switch area too. I'll add, earlier after about 3 shut down and restart cycles, it ran perfectly for the rest of my acre. There is a ghost in this ol monster!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any mice in your area?

txmowman

Threads
My thought is trash in the fuel tank. Try to rig a way to gravity fresh fuel directly to the carburetor. Then see if the issue still occurs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I replaced coils, carb, filters. Ran perfectly first cut. Next weekend, back to the same stuff, cuts off after about 10 minutes.
Won't turn over or anything till a few minutes have passed. Starts up, run about 10 or so minutes..
Are you saying that when it dies it will not crank the engine when you try to start it but after a few mins it will crank and start?

RobertHB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you saying that when it dies it will not crank the engine when you try to start it but after a few mins it will crank and start?
Yes, like no electric at all trying to start. After a bit, then it will spin and start.

txmowman

Threads
Yes, like no electric at all trying to start. After a bit, then it will spin and start.
Ah, I for sure misunderstood. Sorry. Could be a switch or a loose connection in the ignition or ground circuit.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start at the battery. Remove and Clean BOTH ends of the cables and the terminals. Even if they "look good" clean them. Look for fuses. Remove any you find and look for any corrosion or heat damage. Do a general inspection of the wiring looking for anything melted or corroded connections.
Sounds like you are losing power to the machine and the fuel solenoid drops out killing the engine. Wires don't fail in the middle unless too much current through them. Problems are always at the ends of wires where they connect to something.