Repairs F935 deck gearbox failed, what are my options?

patricksween

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run an F935 with 72" Commercial deck, mowing about 16 acres. The gearbox on the deck just failed, not sure how or why, but need advice. From what I can see online, new gearboxes are upwards of $1000 if you can find one, even used start at around $400. This is an older mower, so only probably worth around $1500-2000 if it was all working. I could try to swap the whole deck, but the older decks are also not super common and may also have gearbox or spindle problems that I don't want to deal with. Are there other options for the gearboxes, or are there other decks that would be compatible with the F935? Some of the newer decks, like the 7-Iron series seem to be more common but not sure they'd be compatible. In any case, it's not worth it to put $1000s in to this mower, so looking for reasonable fixes to get it running until I can upgrade in a season or so. Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

D

Deleted member 97405

I run an F935 with 72" Commercial deck, mowing about 16 acres. The gearbox on the deck just failed, not sure how or why, but need advice. From what I can see online, new gearboxes are upwards of $1000 if you can find one, even used start at around $400. This is an older mower, so only probably worth around $1500-2000 if it was all working. I could try to swap the whole deck, but the older decks are also not super common and may also have gearbox or spindle problems that I don't want to deal with. Are there other options for the gearboxes, or are there other decks that would be compatible with the F935? Some of the newer decks, like the 7-Iron series seem to be more common but not sure they'd be compatible. In any case, it's not worth it to put $1000s in to this mower, so looking for reasonable fixes to get it running until I can upgrade in a season or so. Thanks for any advice.

Patrick

I am looking up the diagram for your gearbox and there are several serial number breaks. Can you post the serial number of your mower deck and the machine?
I rebuilt one of these this spring for a customer. His gearbox had leaked out the oil while running and destroyed the bearings. We replaced the bearings and seals and he was good to go.

See pic below for highlighted areas.

Capture1.JPG

patricksween

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll take a look, where would I find P/N and S/N on these, I didn't see any numbers when I took the gearbox off the deck.

D

Deleted member 97405

I'll take a look, where would I find P/N and S/N on these, I didn't see any numbers when I took the gearbox off the deck.

Here are some pics I found online and circled the area where the serial numbers can be found. I am leaving the shop for the evening. I will be back in approximately 8am Eastern Time. Have a great evening!

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

patricksween

Forum Newbie
Threads
Deck doesn't have a data plate on it, I got the one for the mower, but no idea if the deck is the original with the mower. S/N is MOF935X120073.

D

Deleted member 97405

Deck doesn't have a data plate on it, I got the one for the mower, but no idea if the deck is the original with the mower. S/N is MOF935X120073.

Ok, no problem. Using the machine serial number(assuming the deck is in the same serial range), I have created the diagram below and highlighted the parts you may need. You may not need #17 if the shim still looks ok. Of course, you will only know for sure once it's torn apart. Then when ordering parts, make sure the new parts match up with what you have. Have your machine serial number with you when you go to order the parts. That will help the dealer get you the right stuff.

Capture1.jpg