Identify Briggs opposed twin pre 1980 with no stamping based on characteristics

Tinkerer200

Threads
  • / Identify Briggs opposed twin pre 1980 with no stamping based on characteristics
A magnet will quickly tell if bore is aluminum or cast iron sleeved. IF aluminum you might be lucky and cylinder bore be OK but at that age, odds are not good. I realize your problem but my experience rebuilding that old an aluminum bore engine have not been good.

Walt Conner

GMG_25

Threads
  • / Identify Briggs opposed twin pre 1980 with no stamping based on characteristics
Good morning, Walt!

Magnet says: no attraction at all! - funny how sometimes the simplest things fail to spring to mind, tststsss ;o)

Right hand cylinder bore looks quite nice, will see other side later today.

Perhaps I'll be lucky for a while, because we found tons of reasons why this engine wasn't able to run for quite some time:
- the man we bought it from, how can I say this, he was not in the workgroup that invented the deep dish, if you understand
- - the magnetron was mounted the wrong way and he was wondering why he didn't get spark
- - he told us about his last mowing which ended with misfirings and we found a destroyed sparkplugthread with a loose plug in it - which I fixed today
- - the sparkplugs in it had way too low a heat value which must have led to glow-ignition
- - half of the interior of the fuelpump was missing
- - and on and on it goes

Every screw we loosen a new surprise - stuff for endless joy. I think that this engine wasn't running much in the last dozens of years, should be pretty much life left in it I hope :)
Measurments will show.

Thank you all,
greets

Franz

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Bert,

thanks for your reply and Goodday down there!

Lets put economical viability to one side for the moment, shall we? :eek:)

I've done it to Guzzi cylinders a few times to get a bigger bore e.g. 850-to-1000ccm, even to OHV engines with pushrods - no problem, you are right and the price is just a little bit too optimistic nowadays in this country.

Where I see the biggest problem is the sheer hugeness of of this motor-block: due to the fact that the cylinders are not detachable you have always this vast piece of metal cyl_1-block-cyl_2.
I can't measure right now but that must be as long as 80-90cm -> 800-900mm -> about 3' -> 35", almost as if you would try to do a BMW-Twin without detaching the cylinders first.

I don't know someone I can think of right now with a machine big enough to put an engine that size in it to do this job ... must be someone who rebuilds ship engines, but then this bore and the tolerances are perhabs a bit tight ... will research ... :eek:)

Thanks mate,
have a nice evening,
greets

Franz

Most industrial vertical mills will have a knee with better than a metre of travel .
Although it would be better mounted flat on a horizontal mill as there is more area to clamp down on to and tables always travel true to the cutter where as knees can be a bit wonky
You would only do the nearest cylinder to avoid excessive spindle length then flip the engine to do the other side.
Lots of set up not much machining.
The trick to machining is to find an old shop with lots of machines where the owner runs it and works as a one or two man shop.
Real engineers like a challenge because that is what engineering is all about, overcoming a challenge.
So you ask if he can do it , explain it is a non commercial hobby job and you are in no hurry for him to do it.
This is what I do here and it works well until they close down.

Now it is never cheap, but again I have never been charged what the actual cost was as machine shops charge around $ 200 /hr down here, job on to job off and there would be around 6 hours in doing your engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good morning, Walt!

Magnet says: no attraction at all! - funny how sometimes the simplest things fail to spring to mind, tststsss ;o)

Right hand cylinder bore looks quite nice, will see other side later today.

Perhaps I'll be lucky for a while, because we found tons of reasons why this engine wasn't able to run for quite some time:
- the man we bought it from, how can I say this, he was not in the workgroup that invented the deep dish, if you understand
- - the magnetron was mounted the wrong way and he was wondering why he didn't get spark
- - he told us about his last mowing which ended with misfirings and we found a destroyed sparkplugthread with a loose plug in it - which I fixed today
- - the sparkplugs in it had way too low a heat value which must have led to glow-ignition
- - half of the interior of the fuelpump was missing
- - and on and on it goes

Every screw we loosen a new surprise - stuff for endless joy. I think that this engine wasn't running much in the last dozens of years, should be pretty much life left in it I hope :)
Measurments will show.

Thank you all,
greets

Franz

If the bore is alloy then the mobs who do bores on two strokes are worth looking at.
They bore off all of the old hardfacing then machine the cylinders reapply the hard facing by either plating or flame spraying then hone to size.
Again, not unexpensive but doable.

GMG_25

Threads
Hello Bert,

Thank you very much for your comments, I completely agree with you as to the type of workshop that will most likely suit me.
While reading your lines I was almost able to smell the workshop - hopefully not all of those I knew gave up due to their age.
We will see.

Yesterday we opened the left cylinder and found it's track not as good as on the other side.
After replacing the spark plug threads, installing spark plugs of the correct value and tightening the cap screws with the correct torque, we were able to get the engine running a bit with "open outdoor gasification". ;o)

Over night some parts arrived, we'll be able to redo the carb and some intake-gaskets today and see (hear!) how it'll run ...

Let's see how it will continue with this project - I know anyway that I will pay much better attention to the quality of the initial model at the next boxer or B & S in general, e.g. cast iron sleeve vs aluminum etc.

Information about this are always very welcome! I'm not that experienced as to what B & S engine model to look for and which one to better leave ...

Many Thanks,
greeting

Franz

GMG_25

Threads
Hello everybody.

If it is of interest what happened next:

- We got the engine running after reworking the carburettor and planting a new ignition coil

- Since the part 222859 has not yet been delivered, we have no proper air filter and therefore waived longer running and a test under load

- a problem now is that apparently too much fuel is sucked in (and burned?) and we have the impression that the new oil (about 15 minutes running time) starts to smell like gasoline. An experienced agricultural machine mechanic, however, said that it smells more like oil that has not been changed for years, and that it will continue to do so for several oil changes ...

- The track of the left cylinder (# 2) is significantly worse than that of the right, the grooves are unacceptable
- - interesting is that the left cylinder is also the one whose air baffle is missing (which is why I had no number and have started this thread in the first place), which could be a sign of how important the originally intended forced ventilation is for cooling!

- We wanted to know how dimensionally sound these aluminum cylinders still are, without disassembling the whole engine. To do this, we rotated each piston to bottom dead center and measured the space above it, in three elevations in two directions each ... I know that this is not the right way to really diagnose the health of the engine

- While the absolute cylinder bore is only slightly above the maximum setpoint (# 1: ok, # 2: + 0.01mm / + 0.0004 "), out-of-roundness is up to twice the allowed value
- - a revision of the whole engine seems so unavoidable, whether this is worth it is questionable

Whatever we do, we do not want to make the entire mower's restoration project dependent on a later decision on this engine (401707) and will receive a replacement engine (422777) in about a weeks time.
This does not fit into the era of the mower, but keeps it going.

I have a certain affection for the boxer engine and specially for sidevalves (e.g. BSA M20), but for future projects where strength and reliability are important, I have to make friends with younger alternatives.

Therefore, I have opened a new thread that is about the B & S V-Twin engines, of which I still know very little, but which are available here in Germany on the second-hand market in a larger range and newer than the boxer.

Should I be imprecise somewhere, please ask.

Thank you for reading and every tip,
to all a nice weekend,
greetings
Franz