New HRX Line

cruzenmike

Threads
I'm really surprised on how low on power the GCV200 is on new HRX.

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

Anyone else notice anything similar with there new GCV200 HRX?

All things considered, your HRX with the 200cc engine should outperform any of the other mowers that you mentioned. Either you have some unrealistic expectations of how this mower is performing or you were mowing in conditions that you shouldn't be mowing in anyway. If neither of these statements are true, it could be that your specific mower is defective. I owned the HRX with the 190cc engine and it would just plow through any grass I cut, tall or damp and with the exact same deck and blade setup you have. Also, the engine rpm you are running at is too high. This should be set no more than 3100. Anything higher will consume more (unnecessary) fuel, cause increased vibration, wear more on the internal parts and just isn't and shouldn't be required for a good cut.

Peen

Threads
Not unrealistic expectations, comparing back to back with 3 other mowers in same condition. Half inch being cut (I am meticulous on when to cut), 3PM without rain for a week or watering. Grass is healthy and a little sticky. RPM's were 3200 out of the box. Manual specifies 3,100 +0/-150 rpm, so it's in range.

Grass does seem to stick more to the underside...which I was under the impression the HRX plastic deck would be a bit better about accumulation.

Sparkland

Threads
As mentioned previously, I purchased a new HRX with the 200cc engine. I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the cover, so I can install an hour meter. The spark plug wire does not stick out far enough beyond the lid/cover to wrap the meter wire around spark plug wire. There are no nuts on top of the lid as in the previous models of the HRX. Any ideas would be appreciated.

cruzenmike

Threads
Not unrealistic expectations, comparing back to back with 3 other mowers in same condition. Half inch being cut (I am meticulous on when to cut), 3PM without rain for a week or watering. Grass is healthy and a little sticky. RPM's were 3200 out of the box. Manual specifies 3,100 +0/-150 rpm, so it's in range.

Grass does seem to stick more to the underside...which I was under the impression the HRX plastic deck would be a bit better about accumulation.

Are you mulching, bagging or rear discharging your clippings? No deck will be immune to clippings sticking, especially if they are being cut up really fine and are not dropping out or leaving the deck. Have you simply tried slowing down the engine to 2950 rpm to see if this helps your situation? I get that it is a new machine, and that it has failed to meet your expectations, but it is possible that the engine is defective and simply isn't performing as it should.

It is not uncommon for someone to purchase a piece of new equipment and just because it is new to work "better" than the old one. Not the same situation, but I will use my example. I purchased a used 2009 Cub Cadet riding mower with a 50" stamped deck. It was nothing special, in fact it might have been a Home Depot model of mower that cost $2-3k new. I received a 2006 Exmark from my Stepdad that I know to be running perfectly, has a blade tip speed +1500 higher than my Cub Cadet did, a deep fabricated deck and cost over $5k new. Guess what, the Cub Cadet still left a more beautiful cut than the Exmark did. No matter what I have done to the Exmark, sharpened blades, replaced pulleys, bearings, belts and made sure that everything is as it should be, I am chasing down the cut quality of a lesser mower.

You may just need to return the HRX and consider getting a Toro Super Recycler?

trekgod3

Threads
As mentioned previously, I purchased a new HRX with the 200cc engine. I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the cover, so I can install an hour meter. The spark plug wire does not stick out far enough beyond the lid/cover to wrap the meter wire around spark plug wire. There are no nuts on top of the lid as in the previous models of the HRX. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had the same problem. There's a release tab on the side. You just have to fiddle with it just right to get the cover to pop off

Peen

Threads
Are you mulching, bagging or rear discharging your clippings? No deck will be immune to clippings sticking, especially if they are being cut up really fine and are not dropping out or leaving the deck. Have you simply tried slowing down the engine to 2950 rpm to see if this helps your situation? I get that it is a new machine, and that it has failed to meet your expectations, but it is possible that the engine is defective and simply isn't performing as it should.

It is not uncommon for someone to purchase a piece of new equipment and just because it is new to work "better" than the old one. Not the same situation, but I will use my example. I purchased a used 2009 Cub Cadet riding mower with a 50" stamped deck. It was nothing special, in fact it might have been a Home Depot model of mower that cost $2-3k new. I received a 2006 Exmark from my Stepdad that I know to be running perfectly, has a blade tip speed +1500 higher than my Cub Cadet did, a deep fabricated deck and cost over $5k new. Guess what, the Cub Cadet still left a more beautiful cut than the Exmark did. No matter what I have done to the Exmark, sharpened blades, replaced pulleys, bearings, belts and made sure that everything is as it should be, I am chasing down the cut quality of a lesser mower.

You may just need to return the HRX and consider getting a Toro Super Recycler?

It hasn't failed to meet my expectations.

It cuts really well, quiet, great transmission, awesome typical Honda build quality, and just feels solid while mowing. It just seemed slightly under powered for some reason, if you saw my original post regarding that. And I asked if anyone else noticed theirs seemingly slightly under powered. Could be the deck design. I see slightly more mulch under the HRX plastic deck then my other metal designed deck mowers. I mulch every time, cutting height at 4". Only cut .5" at a time, so every 2-3 days. And yes, I tried 2900 RPM's and no difference, of course. Put it back to 3200 RPM and seems better.

Engine runs great, no point in returning. Was just surprised to see it struggle more then a well used 160cc engine.

Peen

Threads

Don't need to completely remove, just get the side the wire runs down propped up. Once you do that, it's not too bad to get hour meter installed. Could always used vibration meter as well if you have issue. Use those on my MX bikes, and they work well.

dfwchief

Threads
It hasn't failed to meet my expectations.

It cuts really well, quiet, great transmission, awesome typical Honda build quality, and just feels solid while mowing. It just seemed slightly under powered for some reason, if you saw my original post regarding that. And I asked if anyone else noticed theirs seemingly slightly under powered. Could be the deck design. I see slightly more mulch under the HRX plastic deck then my other metal designed deck mowers. I mulch every time, cutting height at 4". Only cut .5" at a time, so every 2-3 days. And yes, I tried 2900 RPM's and no difference, of course. Put it back to 3200 RPM and seems better.

Engine runs great, no point in returning. Was just surprised to see it struggle more then a well used 160cc engine.

I had a couple mowers with the 160cc engine, and I also felt it was a capable engine. One of those was a Y-Bravo 25".

I had an HRX previously with the 190 engine, which had plenty of power. So I'd also expect the 200cc to be at least as strong as the 190, and better than the 160. My grass is still mostly dormant. I've used mine several times for early spring clean-up, including one pass set 1/2" lower than I was mowing last year, and it's doing fine with that. But there's not enough green grass yet to challenge it. I'll be interested to see what happens when there is.

I have some patches of grassy weeds that grow thick and taller than the turf grass, so they make a good test patch.

Sparkland

Threads
I had the same problem. There's a release tab on the side. You just have to fiddle with it just right to get the cover to pop off

Thank you for the help. For anyone who wants to remove the cover for one reason or another, here are the steps. As mentioned there are (4) tabs - 2 on each side. You pull the tabs outward, away from the engine on each side. That will release them. However, the tab near the front on the left side has a screw securing it. Remove the screw AND the clip it screws into. That will allow the tab to be pulled outward and release the cover. Appreciate the help. No doubt this was another cost saving (no bolts or nuts) measure by Honda on the new HRX.

HRX3.jpgHRX2.jpghrx1.jpg

Sparkland

Threads
Honda must not be offering the extra (6th) year of warranty on their lawn mowers this year. I have not heard or read anything about it.