Export thread

New HRX Line

S

stygz

I know it is almost January but I just saw that Honda is relesing updated HRX models with a 200cc engine. I may be in the market to sell my HRX that I bought in 2013. I have been wanting the blade brake for some time. The new motor is just one more reason to upgrade. Being I am in the South, It will not be too long for the season to start.

Anyone else see the new line and is interested?

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...troduces-Redesigned-HRX-Lawn-Mower-Lineup.pdf

Padroo

Padroo

I didn't know they were coming out with a new model. This last fall I bought a HRX217K5VAA to replace my old Troy Built that had the 160 cc motor on it. I bought the Honda mower because the Honda engine on my old Troy Built was so dependable. I got it at the end of the season up North and only used it once to pick up some leaves which it did very well. This is my first ever self propelled mower and I am impressed. My wife does the big stuff and we now have two very capable Zero turn mowers even though we are just home owners. I trim with the Honda and a small hill side and a lot of county ditch. Knowing Honda, I am sure the new model will be an improvement and a good move for you.:thumbsup:

trekgod3

trekgod3

I just bought one of the new hrx217 yesterday from home depot! I'm real excited. It's my 1st self propelled mower. I've only ever used push mowers until now. It was $629 plus tax.

S

stygz

Where do you live? I was at HD a couple weeks ago and didn’t see anything the website does not show them yet. I saw a different online seller that will have them Instock mid January by HD offers me a 10% military discount. Did u unpack it yet? You must have gotten the HRX without blade brake ?

In past years Honda offfered a 6th year promo starting around March. I was probably going to hold out until then.

trekgod3

trekgod3

Jupiter, Florida. I had been wanting an HRX for a while and I noticed a few months ago that home depot never had any. They only had the HRR series. A few days ago I went in and saw the new HRX , I went home and did a little research and found it's actually only suppose to be released in 2019. My home depot had 3 of them plus the one on display.

Yes it's the basic HRX. No blade brake. I unpacked it last night and took it for a spin this morning. Takes a little getting use to since I've never used a self propelled before. My old mower was a 21" MTD yard machines with the 190cc Briggs and Stratton engine.

trekgod3

trekgod3

Here's a pic from in my garage last night:20190101_071903.jpg

S

stygz

Very nice! I stopped by HD today and the have nothing instock. I suspect they will not have the model with the BB on it. It usually can be special ordered but I probably will not be able to get my military discount. If that is the case, I will likely order from an online dealer and save the tax.

Look into the Honda deck guards. They are $16 on amazon. I have them on my HRX and I think they have saved slot of wear.

I was thinking of listing my HRX for $200 on Craigslist in a month.

trekgod3

trekgod3

Very nice! I stopped by HD today and the have nothing instock. I suspect they will not have the model with the BB on it. It usually can be special ordered but I probably will not be able to get my military discount. If that is the case, I will likely order from an online dealer and save the tax.

Look into the Honda deck guards. They are $16 on amazon. I have them on my HRX and I think they have saved slot of wear.

I was thinking of listing my HRX for $200 on Craigslist in a month.

Thanks for the info!

trekgod3

trekgod3

Here are a few more pics of the 2019 model hrx with the 200cc engine. I just added a set of deck guards, too.20190107_140157_resized.jpg20190107_140201_resized.jpg20190107_140205_resized.jpg20190107_140212_resized.jpg20190107_140224_resized.jpg

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Jupiter, Florida. I had been wanting an HRX for a while and I noticed a few months ago that home depot never had any. They only had the HRR series. A few days ago I went in and saw the new HRX , I went home and did a little research and found it's actually only suppose to be released in 2019. My home depot had 3 of them plus the one on display.

Yes it's the basic HRX. No blade brake. I unpacked it last night and took it for a spin this morning. Takes a little getting use to since I've never used a self propelled before. My old mower was a 21" MTD yard machines with the 190cc Briggs and Stratton engine.

You are in Rob Arrington's neck of the woods.

trekgod3

trekgod3

You are in Rob Arrington's neck of the woods.

Sorry, don't know who that is .

D

dfwchief

I bought the HRX217HYA yesterday with the new GCV200 engine. I'm in Dallas. $729 plus tax. It's replacing a Toro SuperRecycler 20383 (Toro branded engine). I liked the Toro, especially the Personal Pace. I just like to get something different every 2 or 3 years. I previously had the earlier version of the same Honda. Grass is all dormant here so I can't do any mowing. The engine starts and runs smoothly. It's definitely a quieter engine and smoother than the Toro, which was not overly loud or rough. Other than that I can't offer much until the grass starts growing again. I'm curious to see how the new engine performs when the grass gets thick.

D

dfwchief

Still haven't used it due to weather and no grass, but here's my favorite thing so far: The gas filler neck is 2.5 inches in diameter. That makes it much easier to fill. You can easily see the gas level rising, and when it reaches the neck, the fill rate doesn't increase as rapidly, so you can easily stop before over-filling. Doesn't sound like much, but in practice it's a very nice improvement.

S

stygz

I just sold my old HRX two nights ago. Waiting until beginning of March to purchase a new HRX.

S

Sparkland

I just sold my old HRX two nights ago. Waiting until beginning of March to purchase a new HRX.

Great move. I might do the same thing. I was hoping that Honda would redesign the chute a little so the clippings would not accumulate at the rear of the mower or sneak past the chute when mulching. I would be interested to know if the new HRX is still made of high quality materials.

C

cruzenmike

Great move. I might do the same thing. I was hoping that Honda would redesign the chute a little so the clippings would not accumulate at the rear of the mower or sneak past the chute when mulching. I would be interested to know if the new HRX is still made of high quality materials.

If I am correct, the HRX may have only changed engines for this generation. The deck, wheels, handles, bag and transmission should all be the same as the previous model(s). Since both the deck and chute are molded of plastic, there is always the chance of them not mating up just right. Also, the discharge chute has an adjustment that may correct the clippings leaking past. I have always believed the HRX line to very well built and although they are expensive compared to many other models on the market you are certainly paying for something that can last a long time if properly maintained. Also, the cut quality on the HRX is very good. I have regretted selling my HRX2172VKA and have been considering getting one of the new models. My only hesitation with getting anything newer is that I do not care much for the new select drive system. I was actually a big fan of the smart drive. In fact, I have been in communication with someone selling a HRX2174VKA which is the last of the smart drive models within the HRX line.

Anyway, I look forward to reading reviews from those with the new model.

S

Sparkland

If I am correct, the HRX may have only changed engines for this generation. The deck, wheels, handles, bag and transmission should all be the same as the previous model(s). Since both the deck and chute are molded of plastic, there is always the chance of them not mating up just right. Also, the discharge chute has an adjustment that may correct the clippings leaking past. I have always believed the HRX line to very well built and although they are expensive compared to many other models on the market you are certainly paying for something that can last a long time if properly maintained. Also, the cut quality on the HRX is very good. I have regretted selling my HRX2172VKA and have been considering getting one of the new models. My only hesitation with getting anything newer is that I do not care much for the new select drive system. I was actually a big fan of the smart drive. In fact, I have been in communication with someone selling a HRX2174VKA which is the last of the smart drive models within the HRX line.

Anyway, I look forward to reading reviews from those with the new model.

I currently have the HRX217K5HYA with the hydrostatic cruise control. I like it pretty well. I have only had it one year and it is still under warranty for 4 more years. I want to upgrade to the 200cc engine and get the electric start, since my shoulder has been giving me a few problems as of late. I purchased this mower off Craigslist last year for $600, so I won't lose too much money if I can sell it for around $375-400.

trekgod3

trekgod3

I really like my new 200cc HRX so far , I live in south Florida so I cut the grass year round even in winter. Plenty of power, no problems stalling while cutting tall grass. The self propel system works nicely and is easy to adjust while mowing. I keep the knob turned down pretty low and it keeps me moving at a good pace. Just for fun I cranked it all the way up and it took off almost making me run behind it. It's heavier than my old mower but I can still lift it into the bed of my pickup. I haven't used the bag or clip director system as I just keep it set to mulch all the time. I've installed deck guards and an hour meter / tachometer.

D

dfwchief

I really like my new 200cc HRX so far , ... I've installed deck guards and an hour meter / tachometer.

What reading do you get from the tach? I've looked at the engine specs here https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2018/p180613eng-gcv.html

and it shows max HP at 3,600 rpm, and max torque at 2,500.

C

cruzenmike

Most small engines are rated (HP) at 3,600 rpm yet not recommended to ever run at that speed. In fact, the process of determining HP per whatever spec/standard the manufacturer chooses to comply with requires the engine speed to be manipulated to 3,600 rpm so that the engines may be given a fair comparison.

I know that my HRX arrived with an engine speed of 2,800 rpm which I then adjusted to around 3,100 rpm by bending the tang. Other than the risk of revving your engine into Oblivion, blade tip speed has to be limited for safety reasons. I believe that the HRX, regardless of blade tip speed, will see no appreciable improvement in cut quality beyond 3,100 rpm anyway; there are so many other factors that play into cut quality as it is.

On a side note, my 18hp Vanguard is set from the factory at 3,650 +/- 50. If I don't have the engine speed close to that the charging system does not work properly and the PTO clutch caused too much bog when engaged.

As always you should reach out to the manufacturer with your exact model and serial number to determine what the engine speed should be set at.

trekgod3

trekgod3

What reading do you get from the tach? I've looked at the engine specs here https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2018/p180613eng-gcv.html

and it shows max HP at 3,600 rpm, and max torque at 2,500.

I actually haven't used the mower since installing the tach. I couldn't wait for it to be delivered before I used the mower. But , I will report back the next time I do. I should be using the mower on Wed or Thurs

S

stygz

I would think higher torque is more beneficial than HP when cutting grass

C

cruzenmike

I would think higher torque is more beneficial than HP when cutting grass

You are correct that the torque plays an important role in cut quality, especially under adverse conditions (damp/wet, long, fast ground speed). You will notice that some lawn and garden equipment such as snow blowers make no mention of HP and instead they are simply rated by torque.

S

stygz

You are correct that the torque plays an important role in cut quality, especially under adverse conditions (damp/wet, long, fast ground speed). You will notice that some lawn and garden equipment such as snow blowers make no mention of HP and instead they are simply rated by torque.

This would leave me to wonder why raise the rpm on the mower? Doing so would also decrease engine life.

C

cruzenmike

This would leave me to wonder why raise the rpm on the mower? Doing so would also decrease engine life.

Because doing so increases the blade tip speed. Increasing blade tip speed creates more vacuum under the deck, cuts the clippings more often and discharges clippings at a greater velocity. I am not saying that everyone should go out and just increase the rpm of their engine, because it can and will lead to premature failure and in most cases increase the vibration which the user may feel through the machine/handles. But in the case of the HRX line, there were machines being set from the factory anywhere from 2600 to 3200 rpm. This was likely an issue in the manufacturing process. There is a video on youtube where a user adjusts his rpm and his manual shows the recommended engine speed to be 2,950 to 3,100 rpm. In my case I adjusted mine to the highest recommended speed of 3,100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxsIK00NN6E

Here is a link of the video. Be sure to consult your specific manual or Honda before making adjustments.

D

dfwchief

This new one I got doesn't have two holes in the linkage, just one. A person could make a 2nd hole or bend the end of the spring shorter. I guess I'll get a tach and see what I've got. I've always wondered if Honda put the two holes there because the first one met safety and emissions regulations, but they knew a lot of people would like to rev it up a bit for better performance.

In the good ol' days there would be a screw you could turn to make accurate adjustments.

trekgod3

trekgod3

This new one I got doesn't have two holes in the linkage, just one. A person could make a 2nd hole or bend the end of the spring shorter. I guess I'll get a tach and see what I've got. I've always wondered if Honda put the two holes there because the first one met safety and emissions regulations, but they knew a lot of people would like to rev it up a bit for better performance.

In the good ol' days there would be a screw you could turn to make accurate adjustments.

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy uses pliers to physically bend the tab with the 2 holes in it instead of just moving the spring to the second hole.

https://youtu.be/7YrA3QEIFnE

trekgod3

trekgod3

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy uses pliers to physically bend the tab with the 2 holes in it instead of just moving the spring to the second hole.

https://youtu.be/7YrA3QEIFnE

Just ran it today for the 1st time with the tach. Start up rpm was 3010 and after warming up it was 3070

C

cruzenmike

Just ran it today for the 1st time with the tach. Start up rpm was 3010 and after warming up it was 3070

It sounds like you are right on the money. How did she run and cut?

D

dfwchief

Thanks for measuring and posting. 3,000 seems to be the number for 21" mowers. Was that with the blade engaged and self-propel, or idle?

I've got a tach now, and some warm days here, so I'll see what mine reads. If it's right around 3,000, I'm not going to fiddle with it unless/until I have a chance to mow some tall and thick grass and it doesn't seem to perform.

I still don't have any grass to mow to check RPM while cutting.

trekgod3

trekgod3

Thanks for measuring and posting. 3,000 seems to be the number for 21" mowers. Was that with the blade engaged and self-propel, or idle?

I've got a tach now, and some warm days here, so I'll see what mine reads. If it's right around 3,000, I'm not going to fiddle with it unless/until I have a chance to mow some tall and thick grass and it doesn't seem to perform.

I still don't have any grass to mow to check RPM while cutting.

Mine doesn't have a blade brake so it was with the blades running but while the mower was not moving.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Sorry, don't know who that is .

Robs You Tube name is Deermeat for Dinner.... He's a huge you tube star....... Gator hunting, fishing, ETC....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

trekgod3

trekgod3

Robs You Tube name is Deermeat for Dinner.... He's a huge you tube star....... Gator hunting, fishing, ETC....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Ok I know who he is now. I've seen quite a few of his YouTube videos.

Also, my mower does have the 2 holes on the metal tab with the spring.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

Ok I know who he is now. I've seen quite a few of his YouTube videos.

Also, my mower does have the 2 holes on the metal tab with the spring.

Trekgod...........Yes the video of Steve's small engine Saloon is the the one to go by..... Moving the spring in the 2nd hole might be a bit toooo much on some mowers.........

Which tach do you have ??????

trekgod3

trekgod3

Trekgod...........Yes the video of Steve's small engine Saloon is the the one to go by..... Moving the spring in the 2nd hole might be a bit toooo much on some mowers.........

Which tach do you have ??????

Just a cheapo eBay one
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F301717114175

S

Sparkland

Do you think Honda will offer the extra year of warranty in March as they have done previously? Also, I sent a message to Robert. Is he still not back to work yet on this forum?

BlazNT

BlazNT

Do you think Honda will offer the extra year of warranty in March as they have done previously? Also, I sent a message to Robert. Is he still not back to work yet on this forum?

Robert has not posted on here for over a year. I think he has retired from here.

S

Sparkland

Sold my old (2 years) HRX2174HYA this morning to a nice gentleman and his son. I am looking to upgrade to a Honda with the electric start. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the newest model HRX's are just as sturdy as the ones made a few years ago? I might have made a mistake since the HRX I sold did NOT have the auto choke. Is the Honda auto choke really as finicky as I am reading about?

**An all-new Honda GCV200 engine that delivers 10 percent more power and torque to the mower’s blades, to cut taller and thicker grass without stalling—saving time and wear on the engine. The newly redesigned Honda HRX Series is the company’s first lawn mower line to incorporate the new GCV200 engine.
**A streamlined, innovative engine layout that saves time by making it easier for the user to fill the fuel tank, monitor and change the oil, access the sparkplug and air cleaner, allowing for faster, easier and reduced routine maintenance.
**Innovative, modern styling—reflecting similar sleek, aerodynamic designs that can be seen across other Honda product lines, including automobiles, motorcycles and even jets.

C

cruzenmike

I cannot speak for the 2019 models but the HRX I purchased in 2009 had the autochoke and until I sold it last summer I had went 9 years with not a single choke problem.

S

Sparkland

Here are a few more pics of the 2019 model hrx with the 200cc engine. I just added a set of deck guards, too.View attachment 42240View attachment 42241View attachment 42242View attachment 42243View attachment 42244

Thank you for the pictures!! I hope to have one of those sitting in my garage in a week or two.

D

dfwchief

This new one I got doesn't have two holes in the linkage, just one.

This earlier message is too old for me to edit it, but I want to make a correction - my HRX217K6HYA DOES have two holes in the linkage, just like all the rest. I have no idea how I missed that. I also don't know why I bought it with 3 months to go before there will be any grass to mow. :smile:

D

dfwchief

I checked my HYA today. With the blade disengaged, 3,100 RPM. With the blade engaged, 3,090 RPM. This is with the spring in the "front" hole. In the other hole, it dropped to 2,650 RPM with the blade disengaged.

S

Sparkland

I went to look at the new HRX line at Ace Hardware yesterday. I was disappointed that they won't be carrying the electric start model HRX. The new model looks great. They don't seem to be in stock anywhere as of yet. I am steering clear of certain online retailers because their reputation is less than stellar. I don't even have a local Honda dealer near me. I will probably hold out until the beginning of March, hoping for the extra year of warranty from Honda.

C

cruzenmike

I went to look at the new HRX line at Ace Hardware yesterday. I was disappointed that they won't be carrying the electric start model HRX. The new model looks great. They don't seem to be in stock anywhere as of yet. I am steering clear of certain online retailers because their reputation is less than stellar. I don't even have a local Honda dealer near me. I will probably hold out until the beginning of March, hoping for the extra year of warranty from Honda.

If you are intending on purchasing an HRX, you can either drive to the closest Honda dealer and buy from them at suggested retail and have a relationship with them if the mower ever needs service or repairs. The only advantage to the online retailer is possibly having it shipped to you for free? You might also be able to get promotional financing through Home Depot and alike, but when it comes to warranty work it will still need to go somewhere else.

FYI - Honda usually does their extended warranty promotion in the spring, so purchase when they are offering the additional year of coverage for homeowners. And to be honest, I don't think you would have an issue with it in that time-frame anyway. I cut a quarter of an acre, 1-2x a week, April through October for 8 years with mine with ZERO problems.

D

dfwchief

I bought from a local dealer in Dallas who had all the models early January. It was $100 off the "list price".
l like the idea of buying local but have sometimes bought online to save the sales tax. It's easier in a big city, because you'll have a good selection and good prices.
In a smaller area that's not always the case.

I did some mowing today which was just trimming the occasional weed and picking up leaves. One thing I noticed is it takes significant effort to push or pull with the drive disengaged. Definitely more than the Toro it replaced. Adjusted properly and greased, the Toro rolled easily forward or back. The Honda has some noticeable resistance. It's not the weight, either. It's resistance in the drive mechanism even though it's not engaged.

trekgod3

trekgod3

I bought from a local dealer in Dallas who had all the models early January. It was $100 off the "list price".
l like the idea of buying local but have sometimes bought online to save the sales tax. It's easier in a big city, because you'll have a good selection and good prices.
In a smaller area that's not always the case.

I did some mowing today which was just trimming the occasional weed and picking up leaves. One thing I noticed is it takes significant effort to push or pull with the drive disengaged. Definitely more than the Toro it replaced. Adjusted properly and greased, the Toro rolled easily forward or back. The Honda has some noticeable resistance. It's not the weight, either. It's resistance in the drive mechanism even though it's not engaged.

Mine's the same. I figured it was normal. I've never owned a self propelled before. And it does weigh like 90+ pounds,too .

D

dfwchief

Mine's the same. I figured it was normal. I've never owned a self propelled before. And it does weigh like 90+ pounds,too .

Thanks, at least I know it's typical. My Toro was 94 pounds, so no light-weight. It might loosen up a little over time. There's probably an adjustment. Cable tension on the Toro made a lot of difference. It was just belt tension on a pulley. The Honda is hydrostatic, so no belt/pulley, but I think the drag is more a function of how the drive engages with the wheels. Ideally the wheels should totally disengage, it seems to me.

S

stygz

Placed an order for a HRX VYA yesterday from Home Depot. SHould be here middle of the week. I held out to see if march 1st would offer a 1 year extra warranty but not such luck. Grasss is greening up here in Georgia and my old HRX found a new home a couple months back.

C

cruzenmike

Placed an order for a HRX VYA yesterday from Home Depot. SHould be here middle of the week. I held out to see if march 1st would offer a 1 year extra warranty but not such luck. Grasss is greening up here in Georgia and my old HRX found a new home a couple months back.

Congrats. Thankfully here in Michigan we have a month or so before cutting is even a possibility so I am waiting for that warranty. I have my Exmark if I really need it, but I am going to try to maintain my entire property with the HRX and see how it goes. At the very least I will be mowing just my back yard which will allow me to mulch and bag which my Exmark is not set up for at this moment. I also have some areas that I refuse to take the Exmark due to nails and other things in the lawn from burning pallets and whatnot that the HRX will work perfectly for as well as doing some stuff in tight spaces.

S

Sparkland

I too, was waiting for that extra year of warranty. I already sold my previous HRX on Craigslist, so I am going to be forced to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. With all places charging sales tax now, it does not really pay to purchase online. The local dealer will provide superior sales and service. I will be purchasing from Home Depot also, because my local Honda dealer is not offering even a dime off the new machine.

S

stygz

I too, was waiting for that extra year of warranty. I already sold my previous HRX on Craigslist, so I am going to be forced to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. With all places charging sales tax now, it does not really pay to purchase online. The local dealer will provide superior sales and service. I will be purchasing from Home Depot also, because my local Honda dealer is not offering even a dime of the new machine.

I called a dealer and found they could not match or were not even wanting to work on price.

S

Sparkland

I called a dealer and found they could not match or were not even wanting to work on price.

That's been my experience exactly. The Honda dealer network is doing themselves no favors. Fewer and fewer outdoor equipment dealers are even carrying the Honda line. Service for Honda power equipment is difficult to find.

D

dfwchief

I wonder if I just got lucky, or maybe it was a sale. I got the HYA for $100 off at a Dallas area dealer that sells several brands.

C

cruzenmike

I wonder if I just got lucky, or maybe it was a sale. I got the HYA for $100 off at a Dallas area dealer that sells several brands.

I mean no offense, but are you sure you have the 2019 model? I find it highly unlikely that the brand new model was $100 off, and that in early January they had the new model available. My local dealer just got them in two weeks ago.

S

Sparkland

The 200 cc engine is the best way to identify the 2019 model year of this new HRX, for those inquiring minds. Previously, they were outfitted with a 190 cc engine. The highest discount on the 2019 that I could find was $50.

S

Sparkland

I received a call back from my local Honda dealer, $899 for the model I want with electric start - NO DEAL!

Question: If I purchase from a dealer on the in the Central US, will I need to do anything to the Honda mower to use it at the 5,000 ft altitude here in Denver?

Padroo

Padroo

Here is what Briggs and Stratton say about high altitude.

Fuel Recommendation for High Altitude Climates

At altitudes over 5,000 feet (1524 meters), a minimum 85 octane / 85 AKI (89 RON) gasoline is acceptable. To remain emissions compliant, high altitude adjustment is required. Operation without this adjustment will cause decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and increased emissions.

Operation of the engine at altitudes below 2,500 feet (762 meters) with the high altitude kit is not recommended.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/support/faqs/browse/fuel-recommendations.html

Honda.

https://blog.hondalawnparts.com/modifying-your-honda-engine-for-high-altitude-use/

The pilot jet, which provides fuel when the engine is idling, can be adjusted by screwing it into or out of the carburetor body. The main jet, which provides fuel when the engine is running at speed, needs to be replaced with a smaller jet.

What size of main jet do you need? Fortunately, Honda has already figured that out for you and offers carburetor jet kits designed for specific altitude ranges. For most engines, there are three jet options: one for sea level, one for elevations starting at 5,000 to 6,000 feet and one for elevations above 7,500 to 10,000 feet.

S

Sparkland

Thank you for the concise answer. Final question. If I purchase the unit from Home Depot in Denver, will it already be set up for high altitude operation?

Padroo

Padroo

You should ask them to make sure, I would call them or email them.

C

cruzenmike

I don't know the policy about publishing business names here, so for anyone who just can't believe things are different from city to city across this huge country, search for a lawn equipment dealer in Richardson, TX (suburb of Dallas). Call them and see if they can tell you when they started carrying the 2019 Honda line. I got my HYA there January 11, with the 200cc engine, meaning a 2019 model, and paid $729. I got a free blade for my Toro as part of the deal. I don't know if they'll quote you a price over the phone, but they regularly have $100 off the higher-end Hondas. You can find some examples on their website, though the HRX217 isn't on the site. I don't think they ship. There's another place just up the road in Plano. It's a very competitive market.

If you can't get deals like that where you live, or your local dealer doesn't get the new models as soon as they're available, then you have my sympathies, but there's no reason to think things are the same everywhere.

In reading your earlier post, I was under the impression that you got $100 off of the price that they are being sold for everywhere else which was not the case. The HYA has an MSRP of $829 but sells for $729 at Home Depot and everywhere else you can get it. My apologies if I sounded rude but I was shocked to hear of a discount that Honda or their dealers otherwise never give. Either way, you got a fine mower and it should do you very well for years to come.

D

dfwchief

In reading your earlier post, I was under the impression that you got $100 off of the price that they are being sold for everywhere else which was not the case. The HYA has an MSRP of $829 but sells for $729 at Home Depot and everywhere else you can get it. My apologies if I sounded rude but I was shocked to hear of a discount that Honda or their dealers otherwise never give. Either way, you got a fine mower and it should do you very well for years to come.

Okay, I see the misunderstanding now, thanks. Yeah, $729 is the typical asking price, and I didn't get anything off that except a free Toro blade which is about $14. I deleted my previous post. The only part that was relevant is my local dealer had the new models for sale on Jan 11.

C

cruzenmike

Okay, I see the misunderstanding now, thanks. Yeah, $729 is the typical asking price, and I didn't get anything off that except a free Toro blade which is about $14. I deleted my previous post. The only part that was relevant is my local dealer had the new models for sale on Jan 11.

Your dealer obviously got theirs in early, but then again, I am in Michigan so we are just now seeing them on shelves. As for the mower, I just looked at one today in the store and it looks really nice. I had asked the question for myself a couple of weeks back if I should get the new HRX or if I should go with the Toro Timemaster. I have about an acre of grass to mow and although the Timemaster would save me time, I still feel as if the HRX is the superior machine based on overall build quality and the engine power and reliability. The only thing that is holding me back now is the Toro Super Recycler with the Honda engine. It would be a bit under-powered compared to the HRX, but it looks to be well built and leaves a good cut. Plus I also like the ability to side discharge instead of rear discharge on the Toro.

D

dfwchief

I've had two Super Recyclers. First was a Briggs engine, 2nd was a Toro engine. Both excellent mowers. I also mowed a 1-acre yard with the first one, and the transmission gears wore out after 3 years. They wouldn't cover it under warranty, calling it excessive wear. This is my 2nd HRX217HYA. I prefer the Toro Personal Pace to the Honda lever, and the Toros roll easier when the drive isn't engaged. I go back and forth just for the variety. One annoyance on the Toros is the ends of the bag frame are bent outwards to attach to the mower. They snag and tear a trash bag when emptying. The Honda bends inwards, which seems like a no-brainer. If you aren't bagging much, that won't matter.

S

Sparkland

Home Depot recently had big discounts on the Toro Super Recyclers from $459 down to $269. That was a great discount if you wanted a Toro. I held off, waiting for the new Honda HRX with the 200 cc engine.

gotomow

gotomow

I've had two Super Recyclers. First was a Briggs engine, 2nd was a Toro engine. Both excellent mowers. I also mowed a 1-acre yard with the first one, and the transmission gears wore out after 3 years. They wouldn't cover it under warranty, calling it excessive wear. This is my 2nd HRX217HYA. I prefer the Toro Personal Pace to the Honda lever, and the Toros roll easier when the drive isn't engaged. I go back and forth just for the variety. One annoyance on the Toros is the ends of the bag frame are bent outwards to attach to the mower. They snag and tear a trash bag when emptying. The Honda bends inwards, which seems like a no-brainer. If you aren't bagging much, that won't matter.

I agree that the Toros do roll easier. If you have to pull back on your mower often and you are considering any Honda make sure that you try pulling back on one, (or more) to see if it will bother you. Definitely more effort required with the Honda's. Also as the rear drive shaft ages on the Honda's that pull back effort will increase.

P

Peen

Just got my new HRX217HYA. Sure beats my old Toro Recycler I got for free! Hour meter installed from box. Cut very well considering the grass was wet, could not wait!

Attachments

S

Sparkland

Just got my new HRX217HYA. Sure beats my old Toro Recycler I got for free! Hour meter installed from box. Cut very well considering the grass was wet, could not wait!

That looks great!! What do you mean "hour meter installed from box"? Did you purchase a particular brand of hour meter?

P

Peen

That looks great!! What do you mean "hour meter installed from box"? Did you purchase a particular brand of hour meter?

I meant to say hour meter installed when I took it out of the box. I put hour meters on everything. :biggrin:

Put the good ones on motorcycles, but just did a cheap on from Amazon.

P

Peen

Question if someone might know the answer. Manual maximum governed speed of 3,100 +0/-150 rpm. Is this with blade engaged or disengaged? Guessing disengaged, but manual does not specify. I have 4" tall fescue and need all the vacuum I can get.

D

dfwchief

Question if someone might know the answer. Manual maximum governed speed of 3,100 +0/-150 rpm. Is this with blade engaged or disengaged? Guessing disengaged, but manual does not specify. I have 4" tall fescue and need all the vacuum I can get.

Seems like it would be with the blade engaged. There are models without the blade brake, so the blade is always spinning, and they don't spec a different RPM on those.

P

Peen

Seems like it would be with the blade engaged. There are models without the blade brake, so the blade is always spinning, and they don't spec a different RPM on those.

Thank you. Excellent point, did not think of that.

P

PRob39

Just bought a 2019 HRXVKA yesterday from a dealer here in southern Illinois. Price was $599. They also had a 2018 model for $550 but I went for the new one with the 200 cc engine. A very nice experience. The dealer filled it with oil, put in some gas and fired it up to make sure it ran OK. Then told me to bring it back if I ever had a problem and they would take care of it. Then loaded it into my vehicle for me. Much better the the big box store and at the same price they were asking. Haven't used it yet but it starts on first pull. Can't wait to mow some grass! Been using 2-cyle Lawnboys for the last 40 years and I love them but it just got to expensive to maintain and I'm no youngster anymore.

S

stygz

I have been waiting to use my new HRX for a few weeks now. In the meantime I have installed a set of deck guards as I had them on my last HRX. I think I will get along well with the new to me design of the smart drive. I did notice a little more drag going backwards moving it around in my garage compared to my old HRX. I will probably run it for the first time next weekend.

gotomow

gotomow

I have been waiting to use my new HRX for a few weeks now. In the meantime I have installed a set of deck guards as I had them on my last HRX. I think I will get along well with the new to me design of the smart drive. I did notice a little more drag going backwards moving it around in my garage compared to my old HRX. I will probably run it for the first time next weekend.

I've pulled back new HRX's on the showroom floor and noticed the increased drag also. If I like my new JD tractor and my Honda becomes a trimmer then it's going off to pasture and I'm getting a Toro or some MTD brand to do my trimming. They both pull back easier than the Honda's.

C

cruzenmike

I've pulled back new HRX's on the showroom floor and noticed the increased drag also. If I like my new JD tractor and my Honda becomes a trimmer then it's going off to pasture and I'm getting a Toro or some MTD brand to do my trimming. They both pull back easier than the Honda's.

I do not recall my 2nd gen HRX being that difficult to pull backwards. Yes, there was always some resistance when rolling, with that clicking sounds when not running, but I didn't feel that it was difficult. I doubt that something in the new drive system (Select Drive) would make it any more difficult to push/pull so it might just be a matter of personal preference?

S

Sparkland

Now you guys have me second guessing my decision to upgrade from my 2015 HRX to the new 2019 HRX. IF it is more difficult to pull backwards, my wife will not be pleased.

D

dfwchief

Now you guys have me second guessing my decision to upgrade from my 2015 HRX to the new 2019 HRX. IF it is more difficult to pull backwards, my wife will not be pleased.

In the past 12 years I've had two Toros with personal pace, and two HRX's, the latest being the 2019 model. I also had a YBravo 25" for awhile, which was an interesting mower, but not as good as the Toro and Honda. They are both excellent mowers. If ease of pushing/pulling is important, definitely get the Toro. The model 20383 has a blade clutch like the HRX, and costs less. I go back and forth for the variety, but they are both terrific mowers. With the cable tension adjusted properly on the Toro, and rear wheels greased, it rolls very easily. I'm with the owners saying the 2019 HRX has even more rolling resistance than previous versions.

S

stygz

I did use the mower yesterday for the first time. May new HRX does seem to pull back harder in the garage than my old one. Actually mowing, I don’t notice it actually mowing.

Several years back I had a lawn boy platinum, same as a toro super recycler. I agree those have almost no resistance. However, depending on your grass type, there is a noticeable difference in power

gotomow

gotomow

Better now to second guess than after you purchase. IMHO bearings would be way better than the bushings that they use.

S

Sparkland

Better now to second guess than after you purchase. IMHO bearings would be way better than the bushings that they use.
d

How long have they been using bushings on the HRX? The bad news is - I already sold my HRX217HYA on Craigslist last month.

S

stygz

d

How long have they been using bushings on the HRX? The bad news is - I already sold my HRX217HYA on Craigslist last month.

I would have to double check but the HRX still uses bearings. I do know the Toro is bushings.

C

cruzenmike

I would have to double check but the HRX still uses bearings. I do know the Toro is bushings.

Per Honda's website "Ball bearings in all four wheels offer better maneuverability, smoother drive, and increased durability." Any resistance when pulling back will either be from friction (wheels to ground) or from the transmission which has some slight adjust-ability via the cable.

gotomow

gotomow

The resistance is caused by the DRIVESHAFT BUSH part #44327-VE2-801 x (4). Over time what can occur is that a buildup of rust and debris on the driveshaft causes a limited amount of clearance between the shaft and the bushes. Bearings instead of bushings to support the driveshaft would greatly reduce the amount of resistance when pulling back on the mower. Honda's design allows too much drag on the driveshaft when pulling back on the mower because in reality the driveshaft spins in reverse when you pull back on the mower. Tip up your mower and spin the wheels backward and take a look for yourself.

gotomow

gotomow

And yes while it is possible to adjust the drive cable to reduce some of the resistance. In my case where I have hills, there is a very fine line of adjustment between reducing the friction and being able to climb hills especially when I am bagging. My 20 year old Craftsman's drive train was light years ahead of the HRX Honda. Too bad the Craftsman crapped out. As far as cut quality and bagging and reliability the Honda is awesome.

gotomow

gotomow

My Craftsman used a ratchet and pawl gear drive train setup similar to a sprag clutch. When you pulled back on the mower this eliminated any drag from the driveshaft and gearbox (transmission) for very little resistance when backing up. Too bad Honda engineers could not come up with a better solution.

C

cruzenmike

The resistance is caused by the DRIVESHAFT BUSH part #44327-VE2-801 x (4). Over time what can occur is that a buildup of rust and debris on the driveshaft causes a limited amount of clearance between the shaft and the bushes. Bearings instead of bushings to support the driveshaft would greatly reduce the amount of resistance when pulling back on the mower. Honda's design allows too much drag on the driveshaft when pulling back on the mower because in reality the driveshaft spins in reverse when you pull back on the mower. Tip up your mower and spin the wheels backward and take a look for yourself.

I see that in the exploded view of the wheels. I put seven years into my last HRX and do not believe I had an issue with them. I mowed sometimes twice a week, bagged almost the entire time and did mow on some slight slopes. Even then, the bushings are quite cheap and at least from the drawings look to be an easy repair. It's like the bushings on the front of the Cub Cadet LT mowers; cheap part, easy fix, just a shame you even need to do it.

gotomow

gotomow

This video covers the HHR216 but the issue is identical to what I experienced. I see the bushings, the metal used in construction of the shaft and the fact that the transmission is engaged when backing up as the major issues in this problem. IMHO poor design and execution on Honda's part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubnpTirPBu4

P

Peen

I'm really surprised on how low on power the GCV200 is on new HRX.

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

Anyone else notice anything similar with there new GCV200 HRX?

S

Sparkland

Picked up my new HRX217HZA from my local Honda dealer today. They had just gotten them in stock. Peak Honda in Littleton, CO offered the standard $50 discount off MSRP. It fit perfectly in the bed of my 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

trekgod3

trekgod3

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

No, mine has plenty of power and never seems to struggle. I just cut my mom's yard. Grass was pretty tall and a little damp. No issues at all . More than enough power .

C

cruzenmike

All things considered, your HRX with the 200cc engine should outperform any of the other mowers that you mentioned. Either you have some unrealistic expectations of how this mower is performing or you were mowing in conditions that you shouldn't be mowing in anyway. If neither of these statements are true, it could be that your specific mower is defective. I owned the HRX with the 190cc engine and it would just plow through any grass I cut, tall or damp and with the exact same deck and blade setup you have. Also, the engine rpm you are running at is too high. This should be set no more than 3100. Anything higher will consume more (unnecessary) fuel, cause increased vibration, wear more on the internal parts and just isn't and shouldn't be required for a good cut.

P

Peen

Not unrealistic expectations, comparing back to back with 3 other mowers in same condition. Half inch being cut (I am meticulous on when to cut), 3PM without rain for a week or watering. Grass is healthy and a little sticky. RPM's were 3200 out of the box. Manual specifies 3,100 +0/-150 rpm, so it's in range.

Grass does seem to stick more to the underside...which I was under the impression the HRX plastic deck would be a bit better about accumulation.

S

Sparkland

As mentioned previously, I purchased a new HRX with the 200cc engine. I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the cover, so I can install an hour meter. The spark plug wire does not stick out far enough beyond the lid/cover to wrap the meter wire around spark plug wire. There are no nuts on top of the lid as in the previous models of the HRX. Any ideas would be appreciated.

C

cruzenmike

Not unrealistic expectations, comparing back to back with 3 other mowers in same condition. Half inch being cut (I am meticulous on when to cut), 3PM without rain for a week or watering. Grass is healthy and a little sticky. RPM's were 3200 out of the box. Manual specifies 3,100 +0/-150 rpm, so it's in range.

Grass does seem to stick more to the underside...which I was under the impression the HRX plastic deck would be a bit better about accumulation.

Are you mulching, bagging or rear discharging your clippings? No deck will be immune to clippings sticking, especially if they are being cut up really fine and are not dropping out or leaving the deck. Have you simply tried slowing down the engine to 2950 rpm to see if this helps your situation? I get that it is a new machine, and that it has failed to meet your expectations, but it is possible that the engine is defective and simply isn't performing as it should.

It is not uncommon for someone to purchase a piece of new equipment and just because it is new to work "better" than the old one. Not the same situation, but I will use my example. I purchased a used 2009 Cub Cadet riding mower with a 50" stamped deck. It was nothing special, in fact it might have been a Home Depot model of mower that cost $2-3k new. I received a 2006 Exmark from my Stepdad that I know to be running perfectly, has a blade tip speed +1500 higher than my Cub Cadet did, a deep fabricated deck and cost over $5k new. Guess what, the Cub Cadet still left a more beautiful cut than the Exmark did. No matter what I have done to the Exmark, sharpened blades, replaced pulleys, bearings, belts and made sure that everything is as it should be, I am chasing down the cut quality of a lesser mower.

You may just need to return the HRX and consider getting a Toro Super Recycler?

trekgod3

trekgod3

As mentioned previously, I purchased a new HRX with the 200cc engine. I am having trouble figuring out how to remove the cover, so I can install an hour meter. The spark plug wire does not stick out far enough beyond the lid/cover to wrap the meter wire around spark plug wire. There are no nuts on top of the lid as in the previous models of the HRX. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had the same problem. There's a release tab on the side. You just have to fiddle with it just right to get the cover to pop off

P

Peen

Are you mulching, bagging or rear discharging your clippings? No deck will be immune to clippings sticking, especially if they are being cut up really fine and are not dropping out or leaving the deck. Have you simply tried slowing down the engine to 2950 rpm to see if this helps your situation? I get that it is a new machine, and that it has failed to meet your expectations, but it is possible that the engine is defective and simply isn't performing as it should.

It is not uncommon for someone to purchase a piece of new equipment and just because it is new to work "better" than the old one. Not the same situation, but I will use my example. I purchased a used 2009 Cub Cadet riding mower with a 50" stamped deck. It was nothing special, in fact it might have been a Home Depot model of mower that cost $2-3k new. I received a 2006 Exmark from my Stepdad that I know to be running perfectly, has a blade tip speed +1500 higher than my Cub Cadet did, a deep fabricated deck and cost over $5k new. Guess what, the Cub Cadet still left a more beautiful cut than the Exmark did. No matter what I have done to the Exmark, sharpened blades, replaced pulleys, bearings, belts and made sure that everything is as it should be, I am chasing down the cut quality of a lesser mower.

You may just need to return the HRX and consider getting a Toro Super Recycler?

It hasn't failed to meet my expectations.

It cuts really well, quiet, great transmission, awesome typical Honda build quality, and just feels solid while mowing. It just seemed slightly under powered for some reason, if you saw my original post regarding that. And I asked if anyone else noticed theirs seemingly slightly under powered. Could be the deck design. I see slightly more mulch under the HRX plastic deck then my other metal designed deck mowers. I mulch every time, cutting height at 4". Only cut .5" at a time, so every 2-3 days. And yes, I tried 2900 RPM's and no difference, of course. Put it back to 3200 RPM and seems better.

Engine runs great, no point in returning. Was just surprised to see it struggle more then a well used 160cc engine.

P

Peen

Don't need to completely remove, just get the side the wire runs down propped up. Once you do that, it's not too bad to get hour meter installed. Could always used vibration meter as well if you have issue. Use those on my MX bikes, and they work well.

D

dfwchief

It hasn't failed to meet my expectations.

It cuts really well, quiet, great transmission, awesome typical Honda build quality, and just feels solid while mowing. It just seemed slightly under powered for some reason, if you saw my original post regarding that. And I asked if anyone else noticed theirs seemingly slightly under powered. Could be the deck design. I see slightly more mulch under the HRX plastic deck then my other metal designed deck mowers. I mulch every time, cutting height at 4". Only cut .5" at a time, so every 2-3 days. And yes, I tried 2900 RPM's and no difference, of course. Put it back to 3200 RPM and seems better.

Engine runs great, no point in returning. Was just surprised to see it struggle more then a well used 160cc engine.

I had a couple mowers with the 160cc engine, and I also felt it was a capable engine. One of those was a Y-Bravo 25".

I had an HRX previously with the 190 engine, which had plenty of power. So I'd also expect the 200cc to be at least as strong as the 190, and better than the 160. My grass is still mostly dormant. I've used mine several times for early spring clean-up, including one pass set 1/2" lower than I was mowing last year, and it's doing fine with that. But there's not enough green grass yet to challenge it. I'll be interested to see what happens when there is.

I have some patches of grassy weeds that grow thick and taller than the turf grass, so they make a good test patch.

S

Sparkland

I had the same problem. There's a release tab on the side. You just have to fiddle with it just right to get the cover to pop off

Thank you for the help. For anyone who wants to remove the cover for one reason or another, here are the steps. As mentioned there are (4) tabs - 2 on each side. You pull the tabs outward, away from the engine on each side. That will release them. However, the tab near the front on the left side has a screw securing it. Remove the screw AND the clip it screws into. That will allow the tab to be pulled outward and release the cover. Appreciate the help. No doubt this was another cost saving (no bolts or nuts) measure by Honda on the new HRX.

HRX3.jpgHRX2.jpghrx1.jpg

S

Sparkland

Honda must not be offering the extra (6th) year of warranty on their lawn mowers this year. I have not heard or read anything about it.

D

de3

I've got a 2013 HRX With blade brake,its got around 400 hours,just last week i replaced the wheel bearings,I looked around and found out that a 1616 Z Bearing will work in the wheels which is way better than the factory ones,Other parts replaced are blade brake hub bearing,2 new pinion gears and re shimmed the rear drive wheels a few times and just replaced the wax actuator for the choke......

D

de3

Is just the 200 cc motor the only changes on the HRX

S

Sparkland

Is just the 200 cc motor the only changes on the HRX

The 200cc engine is the only major upgrade. Honda also made the cover of the engine more aerodynamic (smaller and sleeker). They also moved the oil fill tube a little higher up for easier access. Honda also made the fuel tank opening larger for easier access.

C

cruzenmike

Just picked up my 2019 HRX yesterday. I was completely torn between the Toro Super Recycler and the HRX. What helped me decide in the end was my previous experience with Honda mowers being nothing short of excellent. I decided on the VKA variant as I am not fond of the added complexities of the blade brake or hydrostatic drive. Also, the handle setup on the Select Drive is more ergonomic in my opinion. Due to an issue that I had at the Home Depot, I was able to pick it up with 10% off and 18 months no interest on my Home Depot Credit card. And because I waited until now I will qualify for the extended warranty on the mower for 6 years of coverage from Honda. I am quite certain that it will serve me well and for many years at that!

Padroo

Padroo

Sounds like a lot of competition for lawn mowers.

L

LMAN007

The 200 cc engine is the best way to identify the 2019 model year of this new HRX, for those inquiring minds. Previously, they were outfitted with a 190 cc engine. The highest discount on the 2019 that I could find was $50.
It is now the middle of May and the best discount on the HRX217VKA is $100, from $699 to $599. Both Amazon which gets this mower from Max Tool and Home Depot have this price.

L

LMAN007

Just bought a 2019 HRXVKA yesterday from a dealer here in southern Illinois. Price was $599. They also had a 2018 model for $550 but I went for the new one with the 200 cc engine. A very nice experience. The dealer filled it with oil, put in some gas and fired it up to make sure it ran OK. Then told me to bring it back if I ever had a problem and they would take care of it. Then loaded it into my vehicle for me. Much better the the big box store and at the same price they were asking. Haven't used it yet but it starts on first pull. Can't wait to mow some grass! Been using 2-cyle Lawnboys for the last 40 years and I love them but it just got to expensive to maintain and I'm no youngster anymore.
Did they charge you sales tax?

L

LMAN007

Just picked up my 2019 HRX yesterday. I was completely torn between the Toro Super Recycler and the HRX. What helped me decide in the end was my previous experience with Honda mowers being nothing short of excellent. I decided on the VKA variant as I am not fond of the added complexities of the blade brake or hydrostatic drive. Also, the handle setup on the Select Drive is more ergonomic in my opinion. Due to an issue that I had at the Home Depot, I was able to pick it up with 10% off and 18 months no interest on my Home Depot Credit card. And because I waited until now I will qualify for the extended warranty on the mower for 6 years of coverage from Honda. I am quite certain that it will serve me well and for many years at that!

Good luck with your new honda, I am in the process of buying the exact same model as you bought. Best price so far is$589, NO tax, and free delivery.

Padroo

Padroo

I bought my new 190CC version last fall and only had a chance to run it to pick up some leaves and it was put away for the winter.
Now that I have had a chance to use it I am a little disappointed. I had an old Troy Built push mower for years with a Honda motor and loved it but it was getting old and all the wheels needed to be replaced so I decided on the new Honda.
We mow about 2 1/2 acres and my wife uses one of her commercial zero turns to do the bulk of the mowing leaving a small hillside and about 900 feet of county ditch to mow. Maybe it is because I am new to self propelled mowers but it works fine for mowing a flat lawn I am sure but that is not what I am using it for.
My biggest complaint is the drive system, as the bag gets heavier it slows down to a creep especially going up a hill. Using it without the bag and mulching it doesn't change speed as much but being a heavy machine the speed is not consistent.
It uses a slipping belt for the drive and before I bought it I thought that doesn't sound like it would work right but it's a Honda. I still have to muscle it around on the hillside and being heavier than the old Troy Built I wish I would have gotten another light push mower with a Honda motor.

P

PRob39

Did they charge you sales tax?

Yes, they charged me sales tax. They are a Honda dealer.

P

PRob39

I have six hours on my new HRX GCV200 and I do have a number of things that I'm not crazy about but power is not one of them. It plows through high grass like it's not even there, even in mulch mode. I'm not crazy about the weight (compared to my old cast aluminum lawnboy) nor am I a big fan of the drive system. It seems to drag me around and must be constantly feathered to maintain a constant speed. The lawnboy had a true 3 speed transmission and when you put it in a gear that was the speed you got. No slipping belt. Since I always mulch I do get a fair amount of buildup under the deck buy no worse than the lawnboy. I just hose it out periodically. I did notice today that the bagging chute was packed full of grass. Hadn't opened that hatch before. Another thing to keep cleaned out that I didn't have to worry about previously. I'm adapting to the Honda slowly and perhaps I'll love it someday. OH, one last thing, it doesn't usually start on the first pull. That may have more to do with my being 79 years old than any fault with the mower:) I do miss my 2-cycle lawnboy. If the still made them I would have bought another.

L

LMAN007

If you are intending on purchasing an HRX, you can either drive to the closest Honda dealer and buy from them at suggested retail and have a relationship with them if the mower ever needs service or repairs. The only advantage to the online retailer is possibly having it shipped to you for free? You might also be able to get promotional financing through Home Depot and alike, but when it comes to warranty work it will still need to go somewhere else.

FYI - Honda usually does their extended warranty promotion in the spring, so purchase when they are offering the additional year of coverage for homeowners. And to be honest, I don't think you would have an issue with it in that time-frame anyway. I cut a quarter of an acre, 1-2x a week, April through October for 8 years with mine with ZERO problems.

There is one more advantage of buying from a online retailer that you did not mention, NO TAX. I bought mine that way and saved over 100 dollars from my "friendly" Honda dealership

L

LMAN007

I got my new hrx2176vka with the 200cc engine for $545.45 which included FREE shipping and NO tax.

L

LMAN007

Good luck with your new honda, I am in the process of buying the exact same model as you bought. Best price so far is$589, NO tax, and free delivery.
UPDATE , found better price $545.45 which includes free shipping and NO tax.

J

jp1961

I think some states are clamping down on online purchases and no sales tax,,,,stay tuned.

Regards

Jeff

P

PRob39

In Illinois, if the online merchant doesn't charge tax, you are supposed to pay at income tax time. Don't know how many people actually do that....

D

deckeda

... It uses a slipping belt for the drive and before I bought it I thought that doesn't sound like it would work right but it's a Honda. I still have to muscle it around on the hillside and being heavier than the old Troy Built I wish I would have gotten another light push mower with a Honda motor.

So sell it and get a used Honda with the hydrostatic transmission, any year, any generation. You'll make money on the deal since yours is newer, and your "new" mower will climb up any hill without breaking a sweat.

I'm partial to the HR215 "Masters" models but the larger 160cc or 190cc models are also OK.

T

tadawson

Just about all brands of snow blowers have used a slipping belt as a drive clutch for years, and they are far heavier, and I would wager get a lot more clutch use, and hold up fine. Myself, I'm not sure I'd be that worried . . .

L

LMAN007

I mean no offense, but are you sure you have the 2019 model? I find it highly unlikely that the brand new model was $100 off, and that in early January they had the new model available. My local dealer just got them in two weeks ago.
MSRP on the HRX2176VKA is $699, most places, including Home Depot have them for $599. I bought mine from a online dealer for $545.45 which included FREE shipping and NO tax. Of course this is now the end of May, so you
could get a better deal then if you bought earlier in the year. Just got mine a few days ago, and I love it! :licking::licking:

L

LMAN007

I do not recall my 2nd gen HRX being that difficult to pull backwards. Yes, there was always some resistance when rolling, with that clicking sounds when not running, but I didn't feel that it was difficult. I doubt that something in the new drive system (Select Drive) would make it any more difficult to push/pull so it might just be a matter of personal preference?

I was in Home Depot yesterday and they had a HRX217vka on the floor. I engaged the select drive and pushed the mower forward then I released the select drive and continued to move mower forward about a foot or so.
With the select drive handle still disengaged I pulled the mower BACKWARD, with very little resistance. I do not see a problem with pulling the mower backwards as some people have said.:thumbsup:

L

LMAN007

Mine (HRX2176VKA with the GCV200)) has all the power I could ask for, and more! Good luck.

gotomow

gotomow

I was in Home Depot yesterday and they had a HRX217vka on the floor. I engaged the select drive and pushed the mower forward then I released the select drive and continued to move mower forward about a foot or so.
With the select drive handle still disengaged I pulled the mower BACKWARD, with very little resistance. I do not see a problem with pulling the mower backwards as some people have said.:thumbsup:

Yes the Honda will backup, however, as compared to other mowers it is significantly harder to pull back on. I compared the Honda against Husqvarna, Toro, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and Craftsman. The Honda was consistently the hardest to pull back on. I estimated the force required to be 2-3 times harder. Also, if the select drive is not adjusted correctly it will be easier to pull back on. I can adjust some of that out of my machine but then it won't climb my slopes. Also due to it's horrible design with bushings instead of bearings to support the drive shaft and having the transmission gears turning while backing up the bushings wear and over time it gets harder and harder to pull back on.

L

LMAN007

It is now the middle of May and the best discount on the HRX217VKA is $100, from $699 to $599. Both Amazon which gets this mower from Max Tool and Home Depot have this price.

UPDATE to my above memo : I just bought my HRX2176VKA directly from Max Tool for $545.45 which included free shipping and no tax.

L

LMAN007

Yes, they charged me sales tax. They are a Honda dealer.

That's to bad about the sales tax. I got mine online and I did not have to pay sales tax and I got free shipping, total price was $545.45

L

LMAN007

I found another online store and I bought my HRX2176vka from them, free shipping by Fed Ex, NO tax total $545.45

L

LMAN007

Yes the Honda will backup, however, as compared to other mowers it is significantly harder to pull back on. I compared the Honda against Husqvarna, Toro, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and Craftsman. The Honda was consistently the hardest to pull back on. I estimated the force required to be 2-3 times harder. Also, if the select drive is not adjusted correctly it will be easier to pull back on. I can adjust some of that out of my machine but then it won't climb my slopes. Also due to it's horrible design with bushings instead of bearings to support the drive shaft and having the transmission gears turning while backing up the bushings wear and over time it gets harder and harder to pull back on.

I don't know about other mowers but the HRX that I pulled backwards was very easy to do with very little resistance. I also own a Husky HU775H and I found that the Husky was harder to pull backwards then the Honda. Go figure.:confused2:

gotomow

gotomow

Views on the subject from another forum:https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6474

S

Sparkland

Views on the subject from another forum:https://thelawnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6474

Seems something like fluid film would aid in preventing corrosion on the shaft!!

P

PRob39

Difficult Starting - Resolved!

My new HRX217VKA was taking 4 hefty pulls to start. Autochoke checked OK. When I bought it in April I thought I would treat it to some non-ethanol, 91 octane gas from the local Casey's. Big mistake!
Have now switched to 87 octane Shell E10 and it starts on the first pull. My guess is that the E0 gas was old when I bought it, perhaps even in the underground tank all winter. Moral of the story - if you buy E0 make sure it is fresh.

H

HurstGN

That's an interesting observation. We were just talking about switching fuel last night. I was going to buy a can of the TruFuel from the home center when she reminded me of a gas station we found on the list of stations that can provide pure fuel without ethanol. I was leaning towards the non-ethanol gas, but now I'm thinking I may try the TruFuel from the home center. Decisions, decisions.

trekgod3

trekgod3

I have a Chevron a mile away where I get my 90 octane ethanol free gas from. Never had an issue with any of my equipment. It helps that it's a busy station and we are a coastal town with a huge population of boat owners , many of whom get their gas there too.

P

PRob39

I have a Chevron a mile away where I get my 90 octane ethanol free gas from. Never had an issue with any of my equipment. It helps that it's a busy station and we are a coastal town with a huge population of boat owners , many of whom get their gas there too.

That would be a huge advantage for insuring fresh ethanol gas. I live in a small town with just an average number of possible ethanol free users. I suppose I could ask the owner how old his ethanol gas is but I'm really happy with the way my mower is starting/running on Shell E10, 87 octane so think I'll stick with that. The TruFuel is just ridiculously expensive at $6/32 oz. at Home Depot.

H

HurstGN

UPDATE to my above memo : I just bought my HRX2176VKA directly from Max Tool for $545.45 which included free shipping and no tax.

Was that a special sale? I just looked on-line and they have the HRX2176VKA for $599, same price as Home Depot.