Troybuilt pony 17.5 hp Model#13wn77k5011

tbonpc

Threads
Troybuilt pony 17.5 hp Model#13AN77KG

I have the troybuilt pony 17.5 hp Model#13AN77KG. Cranks fine and runs at fast throttle until I engage the blades then it acts like the carb is overloading. A little dark smoke out the exhaust and spuddering. Only does this when I engage the blades in any deck position. At a lose, I have checked all the connections I can find and traced the wires and see no shorts or breaks. Anyone one else have this problem and what did you do to fix it? Sorry, had put in the wrong model number. The one in this post is correct with a Briggs and Straton 17.5 ser# 080527zd34225

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Without knowing which engine you have I am only guessing. Either a bad O ring on the high speed jet or the air bleed is clogged on the high speed jet causing a rich run issue.

MowLife

Threads
Well dark smoke (black) like state above is a sign of running rich....too much fuel for air coming in. Many things can cause this. Usually it a clogged air filter or a paper one that got wet. It can also be carb issues. But if it only happens under a load it could be governor issues.

tbonpc

Threads
Without knowing which engine you have I am only guessing. Either a bad O ring on the high speed jet or the air bleed is clogged on the high speed jet causing a rich run issue.

Briggs & Straton 17.5 ser: 080527zd34225

tbonpc

Threads
Ok, replaced the carb with one I found on ebay and it does run. Now after a few minutes of running it misses (almost like backfiring) and surges and shuts down. I have checked for leaks and found none. I'm loss?

Last edited:
Threads
E Bay carbs new or used might be a bad idea ....... dark smoke is running rich like said before.......

Your model type and code is on your valve cover ........ Those are the numbers we need to help further...

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

tbonpc

Threads
E Bay carbs new or used might be a bad idea ....... dark smoke is running rich like said before.......

Your model type and code is on your valve cover ........ Those are the numbers we need to help further...

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Model 31C707 Type 0603 B2 Code 080527ZD off of the valve cover. Check the valves yesterday and they are good, .004/.004. Cleaned the rust from the Flywheel and armature and brand new gas, still surging and sometimes backfiring load or no load. This Troy Built Pony is the worst Tractor Mower I have ever seen.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Backfire is USUALLY a timing issue, .. REcheck your valve lash settings, as far as the carb goes I have bought carbs from Evil-Bay but have been lucky, some times you get garbage, I buy mine from ( the ROP Shop ) (on Evil-Bay) you might want to check your intake manifold and the gaskets, the plastic manifolds can develop hair-line cracks ..see the videos attached .... the one video (how to replace a camshaft shows an EXCELLENT ( used by many of us) way to adjust the valves ( PLEASE note : it starts AROUND (22.10min )
the other video is a pictorial of rebuiling your carb ( I'm assuming it's the NIKKI carb, although it could be a WALBRO )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4&t=1140s

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_28b702_carb.asp

tbonpc

Threads
Backfire is USUALLY a timing issue, .. REcheck your valve lash settings, as far as the carb goes I have bought carbs from Evil-Bay but have been lucky, some times you get garbage, I buy mine from ( the ROP Shop ) (on Evil-Bay) you might want to check your intake manifold and the gaskets, the plastic manifolds can develop hair-line cracks ..see the videos attached .... the one video (how to replace a camshaft shows an EXCELLENT ( used by many of us) way to adjust the valves ( PLEASE note : it starts AROUND (22.10min )
the other video is a pictorial of rebuiling your carb ( I'm assuming it's the NIKKI carb, although it could be a WALBRO )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWHPHGZAvj4&t=1140s

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_28b702_carb.asp

Adjusted the valves this morning, checked them twice intake .004 exhaust .006 and it is a nikki 795366
G02708
8513 1A

The above numbers are off the carb . After checking the valves and putting the cover back on, I started the mower, no backfire (yet) but it does surge like the governor going up and down. Tried adjusting the Fuel Mixture screw from 1 1/2 out from seat to all the way in to seat and nothing changed so I ran the screw out in quarter turns until it was almost to the end of the threads, still no change in motor speed or durge up/down. Will not run are low speed? Never have I seen a more Miserable mower than Troy Built! Go John Deere ..........

Threads
Adjusted the valves this morning, checked them twice intake .004 exhaust .006 and it is a nikki 795366
G02708
8513 1A

The above numbers are off the carb . After checking the valves and putting the cover back on, I started the mower, no backfire (yet) but it does surge like the governor going up and down. Tried adjusting the Fuel Mixture screw from 1 1/2 out from seat to all the way in to seat and nothing changed so I ran the screw out in quarter turns until it was almost to the end of the threads, still no change in motor speed or durge up/down. Will not run are low speed? Never have I seen a more Miserable mower than Troy Built! Go John Deere ..........
If your engine is surging then you didn't clean the carb all the way........ Those are very picky carbs for etho gas....

Great carbs though..... The welch plug has to come out and then soaked in carb cleaner are a ultra sonic cleaner.... Then a good spray job with a can of carb cleaner..........