Briggs Intek V Twin - replace broken governor rod?

Tinkerer200

Threads
  • / Briggs Intek V Twin - replace broken governor rod?
Wow imbedded in the block and cannot get it out ???? Can you post a few pics of this mystery shaft ??

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Somewhat common occurrence with this engine, shaft (axle) break off or come loose and come out.

Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK Walt.
Now you have me intrigued as well.
What axel ?
could you pop in a part number so I can look it up.
These engines are starting to trickle into the run now days so I would like to be prepared if it is a commonish problem.
I can only see 3 shafts inside the engine.
Camshaft
Governor shaft
Oil pump shaft

When we got to post # 8 & Greg said the workshop found another shaft broken that was embedded in the case but did not pass through the instant thought was a broken cam
And the "beating out" bit was a flogged lower bush hole.
At this point the IPL got downloaded which confirmed it could only be a cam
Is there some thing else in there I missed or Briggs failed to include ?

Either that or the workshop is one of the kind that we all which did not exist.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert, I think they are talking about the governor gear shaft that is molded into the block.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Bert, I think they are talking about the governor gear shaft that is molded into the block.

Right and since it is "not replaceable" there is no part number.

Walt Conner

Threads

Actually I interpetted it earlier this afternoon and figured it out..... Quote "A different shaft broke, whose base is embedded in (does not pass thru) the block wall. He tried to heat the aluminum block to get the shaft out"

I assume it is the camshaft cause of the base that is embedded in the block, which is where the cam shaft fits into the block.......

So I agree with Bert on the camshaft also.... Only thing it could be........Maybe the cam broke and destroyed the governor... Logical to me ????????

Il Engine thanks for the info on the cables Mon Ami ~!~!

Plus Tard Ya'll..........

Tinkerer200

Threads
I don't see anything about the camshaft and the ones I have had with this problem did not involve the camshaft.

Walt Conner

Threads
I don't see anything about the camshaft and the ones I have had with this problem did not involve the camshaft.

Walt Conner

Walt he said in my quote "That a different shaft broke WHOSE BASE is imbedded in the block, but does not pass thru"....

That would mean where the the end of the cam shaft goes into the block......

He also said that the governor shaft is not broke .......

Pictures or a response from him will tell the story.....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Tinkerer200

Threads
"Walt he said in my quote "That a different shaft broke WHOSE BASE is imbedded in the block, but does not pass thru"....

That would mean where the the end of the cam shaft goes into the block...."..

And he took it to a shop where they heated the block trying to remove the broken part and couldn't??

Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK fellas,
Did not want to start WWIII was just curious as Walt mentioned it was not uncommon.
It is a repair I am yet to see here so was milking the forum for more specific information.
Just finished a cam shaft on a 33M and can see why so many of these ACR's end up in the bottom of the sump.
Biggest problem was missing metal.
When I was sure all of the broken pieces were out washed & dried the debris but it was 60 grm lighter than the new one.
Buggered if I could find any more metal so it is back together now, so time will tell.

Threads
OK fellas,
Did not want to start WWIII was just curious as Walt mentioned it was not uncommon.
It is a repair I am yet to see here so was milking the forum for more specific information.
Just finished a cam shaft on a 33M and can see why so many of these ACR's end up in the bottom of the sump.
Biggest problem was missing metal.
When I was sure all of the broken pieces were out washed & dried the debris but it was 60 grm lighter than the new one.
Buggered if I could find any more metal so it is back together now, so time will tell.

Yes the newer cams are better quality.... Remember Mr. Vern on here not long ago ???? I shipped him a brand new cam and he noticed it was heavier duty than the old one........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!