Blades Snapper R215012 mulching problems

ryanwfoster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! I just bought a used (I was told 4 year old) Snapper R215012 mower. It has a B&S Quantum 5.0 motor. On a side not, in about 1994 or so, I bought a Snapper mower that looked identical with the same engine. I always had problems mulching. It seems that the mower never allows the mulched clipping to discharge from the deck. They just keep building up until the motor stalls. I can't believe two mowers this far apart in age do the same thing.

I have tried tons of things to improve this. I've raised the deck, lowered only the REAR of the deck, walked ultra slow, stopped frequently to let the mower "catch up", etc. Nothing works. I'm not even cutting especially tall, thick or wet grass.

My current mower, after it stalls from the build-up, doesn't even want to start. I almost have to cut a few lines of grass until it stalls, then stop and hose out the inside of the deck down to bare metal, and then start it up....rinse and repeat. This is killing me. I know I probably shouldn't have bought this mower since I had so many problems my original, but I got a good price and it seemed to at least LOOK like new. I had to pull the recoil starter so many damn times today that I actually broke it.....increasing my blood pressure even more.

Should I maybe buy a new blade? Ninja? Gator? I'm sure both of the blades that I have experience with were original to the mowers and definately NOT the ninja. Is the problem that there is too much suction? Maybe it was made MOSTLY for side discharging or bagging?

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Ryan

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Ryan & WELCOME to LMF...

If you set your deck level you will increase the probability of build up... If you set the back lower than the front you will almost be sure of build up...

The leading edge of the deck should do the cut, Set the deck around a half inch HIGHER in the back ... Oregon Gator blades work very well.... :smile:KennyV

ryanwfoster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks much for the reply. I will keep that in mind!

Ryan

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also, if you are only mowing your lawn once a month, it'll build up terrible. They aren't SUPPOSED to discharge - they cut the clippings over and over, and they are supposed to fall back into the lawn.

Try mowing your lawn more often. Seriously. I have a RER with a mulch kit on it, and the only time I have trouble is when the grass is too high. Also, if that ninja blade (shaped like an "x") isn't sharp, it won't cut the clippings fine enough.

ryanwfoster

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hear what you are saying, and I know you have no idea what I'm doing over here, but I assure you that I'm not asking too much of this mower. Besides, my now-also-broken Lawn Boy used to mulch it just fine. Perhaps I my choice of the word "discharge" was inappropriate. The mulched clippings never "fall back down" and just clog the whole deck up. Even if I were only cutting 1/16th of an inch off the tops, it would do the same thing....just take longer before the big bog down. And, I'm not even looking for a result like ZERO visible clippings left behind. I don't mind if there's a little clumping, etc. if I do let it get a tiny bit too high. Seriously though, thank you for the reply. I need all the help I can get! HAHA!

Ryan

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds then, like the blade on it isn't a mulching blade? Like i said, I only have trouble if the lawn is outa hand.

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

ryanwfoster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to fix the rope and buy an Oregon Gator blade. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna pick up the side discharge chute(?) and go with that!

Ryan

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to fix the rope and buy an Oregon Gator blade. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna pick up the side discharge chute(?) and go with that!

Ryan

Good luck, and let us know how it works! :thumbsup:

ryanwfoster

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I have my new gator blade on the mower and fixed the recoil starter. I am sad to say the results are about the same. No matter what I do, the clippings never "return" to the lawn. They just stay in the deck until it's so jammed up that it stalls the engine and has a blow-out of all the clippings in to a perfect "donut" right where it stopped.

On another note, I read my manual again, and for mulching with this mower snapper says you have to:

2.6 RECYCLING OPERATION
NOTE: For best recycling results, cut up to a maximum of
1/3 of grass blade length and recycle ONLY when grass is
dry.
1. Set all wheels in the highest cutting position
(Notch 6).
2. Move engine speed control to 擢AST (Rabbit)
position.
3. Move ground speed control to slowest speed
setting.
4. Proceed mowing slowly. If grass is very dense,
lower each rear wheel latch one notch lower than
the front wheel latches to improve recycling
performance.

...I guess my problem is that I don't WANT the grass that long (deck in the highest position). Again, I tried lowering just the rear one notch like suggested and it was a joke. No difference at all. I had hoped that the gator blade had a lot lower lift and would allow the clippings to return to the lawn, and after this failure I don't think I want to buy a Ninja blade and be out that money too.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Until then, I guess I'll try to find a side discharge chute and probably end up buying a new mower next season.

Thanks!

Ryan