Pulley problem

BBill

Threads
I am replacing the drive belt on a RZT 42. The top pulley fell off and when I had everything together and was tightening the bolt
the top of the pulley broke. Anyway I went to the dealer and paid $40 for a new pulley and the same thing happened...I ordered
another one online for 20.00 Which way does it go on the shaft??? The keeper key doesn't run all the way thru. The motor shaft
keyway slot stops before the top. Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am replacing the drive belt on a RZT 42. The top pulley fell off and when I had everything together and was tightening the bolt
the top of the pulley broke. Anyway I went to the dealer and paid $40 for a new pulley and the same thing happened...I ordered
another one online for 20.00 Which way does it go on the shaft??? The keeper key doesn't run all the way thru. The motor shaft
keyway slot stops before the top. Thanks

I would put it the direction that the keeper is farthest down the shaft.

best to determine why it is breaking...or it could continue

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you missing a spacer that goes under the pulley? You did not give the Model number for me to look it up. Also did not give enough info to figure out what pulley you are talking about.

BBill

Threads
No spacer . Model RZT42 Pulley has key way half way inside. I know the PTO has a spacer but it's not the problem.
Engine is Courage 20HP. If I flip the pulley it looks to not match up with other pulleys. I hate to screw up another
pulley! Thanks, Bill

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
No spacer . Model RZT42 Pulley has key way half way inside. I know the PTO has a spacer but it's not the problem.
Engine is Courage 20HP. If I flip the pulley it looks to not match up with other pulleys. I hate to screw up another
pulley! Thanks, Bill

I take back what I said..You did not say there was any difference in the sides of the pulley other that the key.
If it is not unilateral...I can not say the way it goes.

Is it I

BBill

Threads
Called MTD and they said end with key way goes on first. Will try with new pulley.