Export thread

Pulley problem

B

BBill

I am replacing the drive belt on a RZT 42. The top pulley fell off and when I had everything together and was tightening the bolt
the top of the pulley broke. Anyway I went to the dealer and paid $40 for a new pulley and the same thing happened...I ordered
another one online for 20.00 Which way does it go on the shaft??? The keeper key doesn't run all the way thru. The motor shaft
keyway slot stops before the top. Thanks

S

shiftsuper175607

I am replacing the drive belt on a RZT 42. The top pulley fell off and when I had everything together and was tightening the bolt
the top of the pulley broke. Anyway I went to the dealer and paid $40 for a new pulley and the same thing happened...I ordered
another one online for 20.00 Which way does it go on the shaft??? The keeper key doesn't run all the way thru. The motor shaft

I would put it the direction that the keeper is farthest down the shaft.

best to determine why it is breaking...or it could continue

BlazNT

BlazNT

Are you missing a spacer that goes under the pulley? You did not give the Model number for me to look it up. Also did not give enough info to figure out what pulley you are talking about.

B

BBill

No spacer . Model RZT42 Pulley has key way half way inside. I know the PTO has a spacer but it's not the problem.
Engine is Courage 20HP. If I flip the pulley it looks to not match up with other pulleys. I hate to screw up another
pulley! Thanks, Bill

S

shiftsuper175607

No spacer . Model RZT42 Pulley has key way half way inside. I know the PTO has a spacer but it's not the problem.
Engine is Courage 20HP. If I flip the pulley it looks to not match up with other pulleys. I hate to screw up another
pulley! Thanks, Bill

I take back what I said..You did not say there was any difference in the sides of the pulley other that the key.
If it is not unilateral...I can not say the way it goes.

Is it I

B

BBill

Called MTD and they said end with key way goes on first. Will try with new pulley.

The Chairman

The Chairman

I would love to see some pics of this.

The Chairman

The Chairman

B

BBill

Here you go...073.jpg074.jpg075.jpg076.jpg

The Chairman

The Chairman

You've had two pulleys do this? Did this happen on installation or during operation? The angles suggest that it had pressure from the inside of the key, not the sides of it.

B

BBill

When I re-installed it on the shaft they rode up on the machining -the beveled edge of the key slot. The second one I only used a ratchet...not and impact.
If you look, the picture shows like it has porosity. I will try again Tues when I get the THIRD one!!

The Chairman

The Chairman

When I re-installed it on the shaft they rode up on the machining -the beveled edge of the key slot. The second one I only used a ratchet...not and impact.
If you look, the picture shows like it has porosity. I will try again Tues when I get the THIRD one!!
It looks cast in the pictures. Do you have a parts blow up? I bet it needs a spacer, even if there wasn't one there when you took it apart. Perhaps there's a problem with what it's sitting on.

B

BBill

It looks cast in the pictures. Do you have a parts blow up? I bet it needs a spacer, even if there wasn't one there when you took it apart. Perhaps there's a problem with what it's sitting on.

One side of the pulley is 5/8 from the outer flange and the other side is 7/8. Still wondering which side is to the engine.............

B

bertsmobile1

he pulley should SLIDE all the way to the shoulder on the output shaft.
As the keyway finishes short of the shoulder and the key is at the very end of the shaft then the side with the key goes down.
When you tighten the bolt you are forcing the key into the tapered section of the slot so it breaks away.
If the belt run is not strait with the pulley fully home then you have the wrong pulley.

B

BBill

he pulley should SLIDE all the way to the shoulder on the output shaft.
As the keyway finishes short of the shoulder and the key is at the very end of the shaft then the side with the key goes down.
When you tighten the bolt you are forcing the key into the tapered section of the slot so it breaks away.
If the belt run is not strait with the pulley fully home then you have the wrong pulley.

Thank you!! I ordered a new idler pulley also..that way all will be new...both pulleys and belt. I am also going to replace the blade belt.
I regret giving my Daughter my Cub Cadet 1650 Hydro so I could buy a Zero Turn...BIG MISTAKE!!!! Bill