Manual for Silent Scotts 5M2?

Flora Griffin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently hauled a Silent Scotts 5M2 out of the garage. I'd had two modern reel mowers cop out on my uneven lawn after I let it go too long between mowings (plastic gears stripped?) I'd been avoiding this craigslist purchase it because it's very heavy and I have a smaller but hard to maneuver lawn. However, not only did it survive the job, it did a far better than either the scotts classic or american mowers are able to even under ideal conditions. I survived the job too.

I'm looking for a manual or documentation. Any idea where I might find some? So far web searches have only led to dubious ebook sites that require signing up for a trial (and I don't think they actually have the manual - it looks like they might just use a script to create fake books with content taken from the web).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Flora

Flora Griffin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there, thanks for the link. Since this is a "silent" type reel mower with a no contact blade mechanism the adjustments are different than most modern models. There are a couple of other no-contact reel mowers still on the market (mascot, brill), but each has a different gauge for the cutter bar adjustment, which is why I'm looking for an original manual. A long shot, I know!

Last edited:

Ron Francis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently hauled a Silent Scotts 5M2 out of the garage. I'd had two modern reel mowers cop out on my uneven lawn after I let it go too long between mowings (plastic gears stripped?) I'd been avoiding this craigslist purchase it because it's very heavy and I have a smaller but hard to maneuver lawn. However, not only did it survive the job, it did a far better than either the scotts classic or american mowers are able to even under ideal conditions. I survived the job too.

I'm looking for a manual or documentation. Any idea where I might find some? So far web searches have only led to dubious ebook sites that require signing up for a trial (and I don't think they actually have the manual - it looks like they might just use a script to create fake books with content taken from the web).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Flora

Were you successful in locating a manual for the 5M2? I'm trying unsuccessfully to sharpen my grandfathers. Oh Boy is it just different enough from the rest of the reel mowers to give me a headache. I had it reversed and doing some lapping but getting those blades matched up with the cutter is a bit tricky, and outsmarting me so far ater about 10 hours. Cat find a manual anywhere either. If anyone has access I would greatly appreciate it, or any tips. Thanks in advance.

MatthewK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to sharpen this mower today. Sorry there are no pictures, I can't upload them from a phone. I followed some general directions from youtube videos to sharpen a reel push mower. Tools used were: screwdriver, hammer, pliers, adjustable wrench, and a brush to apply lapping compound (I used coarse valve lapping compound). First, clean any debris or grass from the reel blades and cutter bar. I used WD40 and a copper scour pad. To sharpen the mower, you will be pushing the mower in reverse, spinning the blades backward against the cutter bar, self-sharpening them with the aid of lapping compound. But you need to reverse the gearing so that pushing backwards also spins the reel. First, remove the cap from the left wheel with a screwdriver (on the left side as you would be mowing). Next, use pliers to squeeze the cotter pin ends together so it can be removed. Remove the metal disc holding the wheel on. Remove the wheel. Inside you'll see the gear that drives the reel. There is a small, almost completely circular, metal gasket that holds the gear in place set back behind a small lip in the bolt that the gear sits on. Remove the gasket by flipping one fin of the gasket over the lip, then working it around until it comes off, taking care it doesn't fly off. Now remove the gear. Behind the gear, there is a small hole where a small pall sits. Take the pall out and turn it around so that spinning the gear in the opposite direction, reverses the reel direction. This is so you can push the mower backwards turning the reel backwards without needing a crank. Now reassemble the wheel back together. The small metal gasket is tough to get back on but possible with a screwdriver and pressure, similar to how it was removed. Spread one prong of the cotter pin, once its back in place, using a screwdriver and taps of a hammer. Once the wheel is back on, now adjust the cutter bar height so that the blades are rubbing as equally as possible across the bar. On each end of the mower there is a long cylindrical nut suspended between two threaded screws. Use an adjustable wrench making small adjustments and you will notice whether you are tightening or loosening the bar/blade friction. Try to keep both sides equal. Apply the lapping compound evenly along the edge of each reel blade. Adjust the friction so that you can still push the mower (backwards) but with a good amount of resistance. Now proceed to push the mower around in an area like a driveway where you have room and don't mind getting lapping compound and metal filings. Eventually the blades will sharpen down and you will notice less friction. Clean the blades and reapply more compound and lower bar height if desired to achieve the desired sharpness. Test sharpness by cutting sheets of paper. When satisfied, disassemble the left wheel again and flip the pall back around to work the mower in the proper direction.
Good luck and watch your fingers!

annashetty

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to sharpen this mower today. Sorry there are no pictures, I can't upload them from a phone. I followed some general directions from youtube videos to sharpen a reel push mower. Tools used were: screwdriver, hammer, pliers, adjustable wrench, and a brush to apply lapping compound (I used coarse valve lapping compound). First, clean any debris or grass from the reel blades and cutter bar. I used WD40 and a copper scour pad. To sharpen the mower, you will be pushing the mower in reverse, spinning the blades backward against the cutter bar, self-sharpening them with the aid of lapping compound. But you need to reverse the gearing so that pushing backwards also spins the reel. First, remove the cap from the left wheel with a screwdriver (on the left side as you would be mowing). Next, use pliers to squeeze the cotter pin ends together so it can be removed. Remove the metal disc holding the wheel on. Remove the wheel. Inside you'll see the gear that drives the reel. There is a small, almost completely circular, metal gasket that holds the gear in place set back behind a small lip in the bolt that the gear sits on. Remove the gasket by flipping one fin of the gasket over the lip, then working it around until it comes off, taking care it doesn't fly off. Now remove the gear. Behind the gear, there is a small hole where a small pall sits. Take the pall out and turn it around so that spinning the gear in the opposite direction, reverses the reel direction. This is so you can push the mower backwards turning the reel backwards without needing a crank. Now reassemble the wheel back together. The small metal gasket is tough to get back on but possible with a screwdriver and pressure, similar to how it was removed.

i have same problem, perfect for my needs

----------------------------
router login