proper oil type & amount for 721D?

Black Bart

Threads
Kenny you bring back old memories back in 1950 my dad bought a brand new Packard and when it was about 2 years old he drained the oil and filled it with kerosene let it idle for a few minutes and then drained it.
Nasty old black stuff came out of it we filled it with some cheap oil ran it a few minutes and drained it again, This got most of the kerosene and helped to flush it.

Dad ran a garage and I was fresh out of school and was working with him in the garage.
Modern oil sure has changed in fact it changed just last fall with the new SM now on the market.

The old school thinking will be around for a long time and the companies like STP hope the public never learns better. :laughing:

THANKS for bringing back the memories.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
...is bio-diesel a normal part of pump diesel or is it something one must seek out?...i usually by all my fuel at the close-by BP gas station.

No it is not found in diesel, you must locate a distributor that carries it... and they will have it anywhere from 2 to 99 percent bio...
as injector pump problems increase using Ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD), the use of 'some' bio will increase... a 2 percent or greater bio is the best lubricity additive for ULSD... removing sulfur in diesel had became necessary, just like removing lead from gasoline years ago... but that's okay, most of us enjoy breathing more than we enjoy driving anyway...

Bio diesel was at first thought to be a less expensive alternative to regular diesel... it is close in price & if not handled carefully, will not have the extreme shelf life that regular diesel has... there were a lot of enthusiastic diesel folks switched over and continued using bio like they had been using diesel... worked fine till it got cold or was not batched just right... so a lot of the early start up distributors lost the desire to deal with all the complaints, and quit carrying it.. It is now gradually coming back because of the lubricity advantage it contributes, 2 percent bio is better than any additive, many of the Farm CO-OPs are now offering 2 to 20 percent, and some of the larger truck stops... But like with summer grade diesel you have to pay attention to the temperature you will be operating in... when you get well below freezing, summer diesel & any bio greater than 5 percent will cloud & eventually gel ...

The best place to buy your diesel will be the place that handles the Most as they are apt to be stocking the proper seasonal blend... as to age, diesel will keep for many years, but if you are going to buy more than a seasons supply, buy it in the winter, it will work fine all year...
The advantages of diesel makes it worth keeping in mind the very few peculiarities that you should note with this type fuel... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey Bart as to memories of the cars from the 40 & 50... Packard's were the Very cool, BIG cars of those days...
Haha... I was born in '45 and started driving in '58 (on the highways)... learned to drive in Old Chevy's and Studebaker's ... also had to learn how to keep them running... (have I ever mentioned, My Dad was the BEST!)
So many things mechanical have became so much easier & better over the decades... :smile:KennyV