John Deere LX172 Won't Start

rgobell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an LX172 John Deer riding lawn mower with a 14HP Kawasaki FC420V Motor that was running fine till today. The last two times it started slow but once started ran great. The last time I had it going it again started slow appeared to run fine but when the mower was ingaged it bogged down and finally quit. Since this time I have not been able to get it going. The motor turns over but will not fire but occasionally backfires when turning over. I have good spark and compression. I checked the carburetor solenoid and it appeaars to be engaging fine. Also tried priming through the carburetor and stll no firing? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you mean its cranking slow..then charge your battery and have it load tested...other than that..it sounds like carb problems....use starting fluid...if that works....then check air filter...then check your fuel lines and filter ...then your fuel pump...then carb....tell us what you come up with....pictures are always great:smile:

rgobell

Forum Newbie
Threads
No it's not cranking slow new battery so it turns over just fine. I thought that by priming through the carburetor I would have illuminated the no fuel issue in fact pulled the plug and it was wet?

rgobell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Again I'm confuses why priming would provoke a fire?

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
do you mean why "WOULDNT" it?....its called flooding.....and it means that the fuel ratio is out of balance....gasoline burns as vapor[gas].....when you say the plug is wet...i assume you mean by gasoline ...not oil..right?

rgobell

Forum Newbie
Threads
That's correct, wet from gas. I will check into the carb. I'm more puzzled that I would not at least get a fire or a rough running motor.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
is your gas new?...and i mean from the gas station....not from a can thats been sitting for a year....this new gas has volatiles [the part that burns] that evaporate very quickly...and im talking like a month

rgobell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes the gas is fresh. Very puzzling!!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
well ...like i said the fuel ratio is important....and from the info you've given...i think you have a bad float valve..