Export thread

John Deere LX172 Won't Start

R

rgobell

I have an LX172 John Deer riding lawn mower with a 14HP Kawasaki FC420V Motor that was running fine till today. The last two times it started slow but once started ran great. The last time I had it going it again started slow appeared to run fine but when the mower was ingaged it bogged down and finally quit. Since this time I have not been able to get it going. The motor turns over but will not fire but occasionally backfires when turning over. I have good spark and compression. I checked the carburetor solenoid and it appeaars to be engaging fine. Also tried priming through the carburetor and stll no firing? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

reddragon

reddragon

if you mean its cranking slow..then charge your battery and have it load tested...other than that..it sounds like carb problems....use starting fluid...if that works....then check air filter...then check your fuel lines and filter ...then your fuel pump...then carb....tell us what you come up with....pictures are always great:smile:

R

rgobell

No it's not cranking slow new battery so it turns over just fine. I thought that by priming through the carburetor I would have illuminated the no fuel issue in fact pulled the plug and it was wet?

reddragon

reddragon

sounds like a carb rebuild....are you up to it?:rolleyes:......could just be a float valve?....only $17....here..http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=...ES14+4+Stroke+Engine+FC420V&dn=99910-A8070100

R

rgobell

Again I'm confuses why priming would provoke a fire?

reddragon

reddragon

do you mean why "WOULDNT" it?....its called flooding.....and it means that the fuel ratio is out of balance....gasoline burns as vapor[gas].....when you say the plug is wet...i assume you mean by gasoline ...not oil..right?

R

rgobell

That's correct, wet from gas. I will check into the carb. I'm more puzzled that I would not at least get a fire or a rough running motor.

reddragon

reddragon

is your gas new?...and i mean from the gas station....not from a can thats been sitting for a year....this new gas has volatiles [the part that burns] that evaporate very quickly...and im talking like a month

R

rgobell

Yes the gas is fresh. Very puzzling!!

reddragon

reddragon

well ...like i said the fuel ratio is important....and from the info you've given...i think you have a bad float valve..

M

mtb020184

I have the same thing going on, have you figured it out, I was told it might be the ignitor

A

amnamalik

I also have the same the problem dude thanks for the discussion over that topic. :)

C

CJRussell

Going to try and give back to this forum. I was in exactly the same place with a 17hp Kawasaki yesterday. I purchased a new plug, as was recommended, flushed the tank because I did have old fuel. Unlike you. Removed and cleaned the carburetor. Removed the float valve and seat and the little tube above the seat. Ran a small wire or drill bit in every hole and flushed with cleaner. There are three very small holes inside by the butterfly that are hard to see. Reassembled and it fired with cleaner. Not recommending this, it is just what I did. It ran on the cleaner for a few seconds and then ran on gas and is doing fine. Hope this helps.