1974 Sears Suburban - This is as serious as they get......

benski

Threads
  • / 1974 Sears Suburban - This is as serious as they get......
reddragon. thanks for the link:biggrin:! So far, I've spent about $22.00 on consumables on this thing, and another $16.00 on a tube for the left front tire. I got the choke cable freed up today, with the help of a little heat and someone else's elixir mentioned here on LMF about ATF and acetone. Heat, patience, a hammer, and some elixir.:biggrin: Tomorrow I'll see if the transmission and differential work...I'm hopeful and optimistic.:smile:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i need pictures! :biggrin:...how can i help you get some posted?

benski

Threads
i need pictures! :biggrin:...how can i help you get some posted?

Unfortunately, I think our digital camera is on permanent holiday. I'll have to do a quick battery check and reboot, or whatever it might need. The good news is yesterday I gently rolled the GT off the stand, fired it up, and it works in all gears, high and low range. It feels to me like I'm driving a Peterbuilt 379 or equivalent long-haul truck! The steering is surprisingly light, and the hood is the exact opposite of all the new style mowers; big, square, and gains height as it goes away from you to its big, tall squared off nose.
Remarkably, even the hour meter works. 546 hrs. show on the face. It took me a while to figure out what I was looking at..:confused2: The Onan runs at least as smoothly as the 16hp Vanguard that I have in my Cub Cadet 2164. It feels like it'll be good for other 600 to 900 hrs. with any reasonable care.
Left to do;
Pull the deck (ugh) replace/recondition spindles as necessary, sandblast, repaint (probably with POR-15)
Get the 3-point hitch working
Get the lights working
Find the one piece of cast aluminum :)eek:) lower grille that's missing
Repaint the body panels
It's all good, clean fun.:biggrin:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
they are definitely a whole different experience to drive.....i like how heavy they are....you dont get knocked around like newer lighter mowers....and your butt is is practically hanging off the back! :laughing:

benski

Threads
they are definitely a whole different experience to drive.....i like how heavy they are....you dont get knocked around like newer lighter mowers....and your butt is is practically hanging off the back! :laughing:
You're absolutely right. I think this thing is up towards 800 lbs. It has two wheelweights on the rears right now, and is the only tractor I've had to winch on to my trailer so far. The rest I've just pushed or wrestled. That first gear, low range max. speed of .6mph makes one feel fairly invincible.:biggrin: I'll get a couple of photos out here fairly soon.
:biggrin:

hbigjim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Finally got my neighbor's old Suburban. 16HP Onan twin (flathead, full pressure lube). Six foward speeds, two reverses (via hi/lo range). Cast iron transaxle. Clock-style hour meter. Wheel weights included. Runs great! $100!!!

Eat your heart out, Wheel Horse! :biggrin:

Anyone ever accuse you of stealing. Looks like a great find. Good luck with it. I have five of them.

hbigjim

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're absolutely right. I think this thing is up towards 800 lbs. It has two wheelweights on the rears right now, and is the only tractor I've had to winch on to my trailer so far. The rest I've just pushed or wrestled. That first gear, low range max. speed of .6mph makes one feel fairly invincible.:biggrin: I'll get a couple of photos out here fairly soon.
:biggrin:

I have a 1975 Sears Ss16 with a predator 22 hp. that I just finished retrofitting on it. I have electric lift and angle on the front and rear. Dual SUNF AO33's on the rear. A 60" blade on the front. A 46" to 76" adjustable width blade on the rear. New high backed seat. 420 CCA battery. Added headlight's. Etc. Just re-painted. 48" three blade mower deck with new blades and belts. New tractor drive belt. I am thinking about adding a Billet Flywheel, and heads, and a competition cam. This would increase the total hp. to about 38. Performance 670 has the cure for weakness.