1974 Sears Suburban - This is as serious as they get......

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / 1974 Sears Suburban - This is as serious as they get......
Finally got my neighbor's old Suburban. 16HP Onan twin (flathead, full pressure lube). Six foward speeds, two reverses (via hi/lo range). Cast iron transaxle. Clock-style hour meter. Wheel weights included. Runs great! $100!!!

Eat your heart out, Wheel Horse! :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF0795.JPG
    DSCF0795.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0803.JPG
    DSCF0803.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF0796.JPG
    DSCF0796.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF0797.JPG
    DSCF0797.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCF0801.JPG
    DSCF0801.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mistake. The transaxle is aluminum. Aluminum trannies worked for Hemicudas, didn't they? :wink:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, a new seat is $100, and a new fuel pump/carb kit is another $100 - but it'll be worth doing. I can recoup the money when I sell it.

Great thread, twall!

Gee, thanks! The response has really been overwhelming.........:rolleyes:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Didn't see the post until now -- usually if it is sears or craftsman power equipment I ignore it...... Looks like NICE Tractor --- Good for You !!!!!!! :thumbsup: :biggrin:

I need to try to remember that they DID have some good stuff.

I have generally liked Craftsman tools am still a Craftsman Club member.

I guess the reason I got turned off to Sears power equipment is because I had a POOR experience with a Sears Craftsman "Garden Tractor" Try to keep story short.... about 1985 Ordered and got the tractor for 1/2 acre lawn at the time. Delivered on pallet with mower deck on 2nd pallet....... 3 hours to get deck on tractor ...... 1st mowing, every spot that was not perfectly level was scalped to dirt with deck set at about 3" (yes, it was installed and adjusted properly). Called Sears and told them to pick up their JUNK........ Sheet metal frame about 12 ga. --- Got a loan and a Gravely (Steel FRAME) - Drive over deck (this deck was thicker metal than the frame on the sears) and hook up PTO (about 3 min. max) No scalping + a Snow/Grader blade that mounted clear back to Cast Iron rear Axle. Used the Gravely for about 10 years and sold it for nearly what I paid.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Suburban was about their best tractor. Actually, it was the only 'real' garden tractor they had. Anything with the Craftsman name on it (the suburban was NOT a Craftsman) was a cheap lawn mower, and nothing more. The decks were finickey, but could be adjusted to cut adequately. Trouble was, you'd generally have to adjust them every time you wanted to change the height.

I have no beef with the Craftsman line. They're just super light-duty, that's all.

This tractor is comparable to an Allis Chalmers, Wheel Horse, or other true garden tractor - even the JD 110.

fastback

Threads
My 77 looks just like your with the exception of the decals. I simply says SS/16. Definitely a rugged tractor. Why would you want to sell?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 77 looks just like your with the exception of the decals. I simply says SS/16. Definitely a rugged tractor. Why would you want to sell?

The previous owner repainted the hood. It originally said "SS 16" as well (Sears Suburban 16hp) They were produced like this one from 1974-79. In 79, they changed the color to the famous silver and black.

I'll sell it when i tire of it. I've gotten lucky on deals lately, and now I have too many. FAR too many. Since I really love my Snapper, I'll keep her, and sell off the rest to build a little shop.

fastback

Threads
I replaced the seat on my tractor I was able to get one at Lowes the price was around $50.00.

I know what you mean about a workshop. They are nice to have infact my wife and I are currnetly adding a small addition and I get the cellar it's a walkout. Although, I already have adaquate shop space (a 30 x 30, 2 story barn and a 22 x 22 garage coverted in to a wood shop) I am looking forward to this one since it will be part of the house and I'll be setting up my metal shop in it. This one is 14 x 20, just right for a lathe, BP, surface grinder and bench, as well as a vertical bansaw, drill press and horisontal saw. I won't need to go out in the cold in the winter. Oh, did I mention it will be air conditioned:thumbsup:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i just bought one!...keep us updated on what your doing to it...im looking to semi restore mine:thumbsup:

fastback

Threads
Have not heard from Twall from some time he must be fast at work on the 74.