2 Fuel filters on IS600Z

theplayer11

Threads
Hi, Just bought new 600z today. Didn't have time to really check out, but noticed 2 fuel filters..one at the end of a line.
I'm not familiar with this set up...what doe the 2nd one do?

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark on what my 2005 Ferris 1500z with 870 hours might be worth....21 HP Kawi, 48" deck.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does your operators manual show removing the two 1/4-28x 1/2 bolts and greasing the casters?
SAE thread grease fittings are 1/4-28 thread and this is what you posted in the Amazon link.
I'm not sure why Ferris installed a 1/2" long bolt there on page 4, item 25. Some companies install a small plug the is removed to install a grease fitting for lubing and then remove the grease fitting and reinstall the plug.
Before removing the bolt, I would make sure that this is a lube point as the bolt may be holding a part in place.
There is intentional drag built into the caster steering to prevent them from loosely swinging during machine operation, item 21 are cupped washers installed back to back and when all parts are fully assembled, they provide tension by pushing on the roller bearings increasing the drag on them.
Item 24 are two tapered bearing cups that the tapered roller bearings roll in, these cups are the first parts to be installed into the caster steering support sleeve. The bolt, item 25 may separate these cups and position them in the sleeve.
I'm not familiar with your machine or any Ferris machine, just judging the parts as shown in the manual and 55 years as a mech.

theplayer11

Threads
Does your operators manual show removing the two 1/4-28x 1/2 bolts and greasing the casters?
SAE thread grease fittings are 1/4-28 thread and this is what you posted in the Amazon link.
I'm not sure why Ferris installed a 1/2" long bolt there on page 4, item 25. Some companies install a small plug the is removed to install a grease fitting for lubing and then remove the grease fitting and reinstall the plug.
Before removing the bolt, I would make sure that this is a lube point as the bolt may be holding a part in place.
There is intentional drag built into the caster steering to prevent them from loosely swinging during machine operation, item 21 are cupped washers installed back to back and when all parts are fully assembled, they provide tension by pushing on the roller bearings increasing the drag on them.
Item 24 are two tapered bearing cups that the tapered roller bearings roll in, these cups are the first parts to be installed into the caster steering support sleeve. The bolt, item 25 may separate these cups and position them in the sleeve.
I'm not familiar with your machine or any Ferris machine, just judging the parts as shown in the manual and 55 years as a mech.

yes, manual shows to remove the 2 bolts for greasing.
I wasn't sure a taper thread would be fine as description states for an untapped hole. So you think those from Amazon should screw right in and I will be able to grease?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's good. The grease fittings are available at any auto parts store, just make sure that what you buy are SAE and not metric.
More than likely you will have to buy a grease fitting assortment that will have at least two of the short fittings with 1/4-28 thread, some auto parts stores may have them available separately.
If your manual states to reinstall the bolts after lubing the casters, then do so.:smile:

theplayer11

Threads
That's good. The grease fittings are available at any auto parts store, just make sure that what you buy are SAE and not metric.
More than likely you will have to buy a grease fitting assortment that will have at least two of the short fittings with 1/4-28 thread, some auto parts stores may have them available separately.
If your manual states to reinstall the bolts after lubing the casters, then do so.:smile:
OK..so those taper threads from Amazon are not good...can't take out to put factory bolt back in?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
All the grease fittings of this type have tapered threads, its OK, just don't over tighten them and possibly they may be left installed.
I remove them on my machines as they are out front and can get broken off.

Last edited: