22hp into a 13.5 hp mower

dach

Forum Newbie
Threads
Aloha,

I have an older John Deere with a 22HP B & S motor. The only usable part is the motor. I also have a newer Yard Machines with a 13.5 HP B & S motor that dropped a valve. That machine is in great shape.

Has anyone swapped in a much larger motor before, and if so, how difficult is it.

Yes I am new to this thread and I have not searched for other posts, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can do it.
Just remember it will not go any faster or work much better because you have put an engine in which is twice he size of the original.
Shaft size should be the same but best to check by trying to swap one to the other.
Control cables will be different lengths but again usually they can be swapped.
The 13Hp would have been choke a matic and the 20 might run a seperate choke cable which should be swappable.
IF your hood is the one with the two tie rod to the front you just might like to check the new engine will sit between them.

All winter I do very little apart from swap engines fro dead tractors to better ones and am yet to come across one that can not be done.
Measure the disance from the deck to the pulleys and the MTD and when the new motor is in place check the heights again as occasionally I have to slip some packing under a motor that sits too low.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Anything can be done. It all depends on you skills and the equipment and tools you have to work with.

dach

Forum Newbie
Threads
RE-bertsmobile1;227976

Thank you.

I have found the shaft size is the same. I have extended the fuel line. Cut the bolt holding the mower deck to the front part of the frame and "modified" the muffler with a hammer to clear the frame. I am working on the steering modification as the 22HP has an extended oil drain tube that interferes with the steering arm. If I can't easily modify the arm, I will remove the tube and replace it with the plug from the 13.5HP. The only other part is the throttle control.

The 22HP has a separate choke and throttle cable, the 13.5HP has only one cable that controls both. How do I modify the cables?

Thanks again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
RE-bertsmobile1;227976

Thank you.

I have found the shaft size is the same. I have extended the fuel line. Cut the bolt holding the mower deck to the front part of the frame and "modified" the muffler with a hammer to clear the frame. I am working on the steering modification as the 22HP has an extended oil drain tube that interferes with the steering arm. If I can't easily modify the arm, I will remove the tube and replace it with the plug from the 13.5HP. The only other part is the throttle control.

The 22HP has a separate choke and throttle cable, the 13.5HP has only one cable that controls both. How do I modify the cables?

Thanks again.

You should be able to buy a universal choke cable from most any auto parts or hardware store to operate the choke. Then to operate the throttle use the same cable you have that is if you have enough length. You should be also able to order both cables from most any mower parts business also.

dach

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should be able to buy a universal choke cable from most any auto parts or hardware store to operate the choke. Then to operate the throttle use the same cable you have that is if you have enough length. You should be also able to order both cables from most any mower parts business also.

Thanks again.