Looking for some suggestions on zero turn mowers

burhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some suggestions on various mowers. I have a 2 acre lawn that is bumpy is some areas and has some pretty good slopes at both ends. I also have lots of trees to mow around. I currently have a 20 year old dixon 542. I have been mowing with it for 10 years and it has served me well. It is starting to near the end of it's life and it is time to find a suitable replacement. I started out looking at a ferris 700 series but was turned off by the local dealer and the price. The 700 is priced at the top of my budget, around 6300. The biggest benefit I see in the ferris is the suspension, my yard is a bit rough. It also had a B&S engine which makes me a bit nervous. I then discovered the country clipper line, the 52" edge xlt. It is priced at around 5300 and has some features that I really like. The joystick control interests me the most. I would love to have a free hand to move low hanging tree limbs as I mow under them. I have read both positive and negative opinions on the joystick. My biggest fear is that I won't be happy with how the mower handles hills and tricky areas. I also like the flip up deck. The unit seems to be very well made and the dealer is great. The same dealer also sells hustler. He pointed me to the Raptor SD 60". This mower is priced at around 4500. This mower seemed well built but is really a no frills unit in my eyes. The biggest benefit that I can see is price and a larger deck than the other two. I realize that any thing I get will be better that my antique dixon but this is a big purchase and I want to be happy. I would appreciate any opinions on these three mowers and welcome any suggestions of other mowers I should consider.

jaredfink

Threads
I recently purchased a hustler raptor sd60. This is my first zero turn so I don't have much to compare it to but I did drive some used machines previously. I like the sd60 a lot. I have 2.5 acres of hilly and bumpy lawn. I picked the hustler because of it's low center of gravity and wide tires for the hills. It does ride a little rough if you go fast but I need to check the air pressure in the tires because I have read that a lot of times they are over inflated during shipping. As far as the hills it sticks like glue going horizontally on hills or up hills. You just have to plan out how you are going to mow your yard. Overall I really love my sd it cut my mowing time in half and I have fun doing it. I researched quite a bit before I bought it and believe it was the best choice for my needs. I have heard good things about the ride of the ferris but you are talking about a big difference in price so it's hard to put them in the same class. The Hustler fasttrack would be closer to that price range.

Homer1

Threads
I wouldn't worry as much about suspension as I would a good seat upgrade, like a suspension seat. You will narrow your options too much by trying for suspension.

If you are looking for a commercial grade mower, something you could easily afford for your price range, think Gravely HD or Ariens Max Zoom (one in the same really), Exmark Pioneer or Lazer Z, Scag Freedom Z or Freedom Z Pro (what i use) , Husqvarna, Dixie Chopper (appear to have best options for price in many models, but I've never tried one). Hustler Fastrak or higher (some cut complaints), I don't like Bad Boy because of their electric deck lift (a huge failure point in my opinion).

If you read around a little on the site I'm sure you will find lots of similar questions, and answers on this topic. I just bought my mower last month, and I researched extensively for weeks before making the purchase. Read the reviews, test test test, and narrow down the options you really need. Wider deck? What size trailer do I have if needed to transport. Foot operated deck lift important to me? Is the dealer going to be reliable, and how fast will I receive service if needed.

I have experience with the Husqvarna mowers, their older models hold up well, commercial grade anyway. Little to no maintenance has been needed on my Uncles, it's 8 years old, residential 2 acres a week.

I decided to buy the Scag Freedom Z Pro in the 52, also available in a 60. It performs well for me, and it hit all the right notes in both reviews and testing. Cut is great even in wet grass so far, and It's got power to spare.

Best of luck in your comparisons. It can be a headache, but it's a big purchase, better to be happy then frustrated.

burhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. Going to go to the skag dealer and check some of them out, I may hit up the gravely dealer as well. Those are about the only options I have for local dealers. Right now I think I have it narrowed down to the clipper or the hustler. Just need to decide if the added features of the clipper are worth the extra coin. Does anyone know how the Kohler kt 745 stacks up against the kawasaki. It is rated for 26 hp and is 100 bucks less on the clipper. My dixon has a kohler command and it has been great. My understanding is that the kawasaki is an 800 hour motor if maintained properly. My dixon has that and then some and is still ticking away. Thanks again for the help.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the replies. Going to go to the skag dealer and check some of them out, I may hit up the gravely dealer as well. Those are about the only options I have for local dealers. Right now I think I have it narrowed down to the clipper or the hustler. Just need to decide if the added features of the clipper are worth the extra coin. Does anyone know how the Kohler kt 745 stacks up against the kawasaki. It is rated for 26 hp and is 100 bucks less on the clipper. My dixon has a kohler command and it has been great. My understanding is that the kawasaki is an 800 hour motor if maintained properly. My dixon has that and then some and is still ticking away. Thanks again for the help.

I really don't know where you get this 800 hour motor if maintained properly thing from?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If they only last 800 hours I better go buy a new one today.
Fr651 1300 hours. Guess I got one that was not inspected.

jaredfink

Threads
If you are going to test out the Hustler raptor sd, make sure that you test the sd60. I was originally going to buy the sd54 but the 60 comes with an engine guard and I thought the seat felt much more comfortable. If comfort on bumpy terrain is a concern just don't want you to sit on the cheaper seat and have a bad impression.

burhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
I really don't know where you get this 800 hour motor if maintained properly thing from?

I was digging around one of the other lawn care forums that is geared more towards professionals. Most of what I read over there said these "residential" grade mowers were made to last 800 to 1000 hours. They all claimed that if you stepped up to the commercial mowers, the engines would last 4000 hrs or more. Seemed logical to me. My kohler is sitting at about 1100 hrs and starting to used a bit of oil, smokes on start up. Also I read it on the internet so it must be true. Maybe its just a way for guys to justify spend 10k on a mower. I know that I put 60-70 hrs on my mower in a season, 800 hours would last me 12 years or so. I also know that I cannot justify spending over 6k on a mower.

burhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you are going to test out the Hustler raptor sd, make sure that you test the sd60. I was originally going to buy the sd54 but the 60 comes with an engine guard and I thought the seat felt much more comfortable. If comfort on bumpy terrain is a concern just don't want you to sit on the cheaper seat and have a bad impression.

The SD 60 is the one I have my eye on. It comes with the better seat, 60" deck and lower price point are what has me considering it over the country clipper.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If they only last 800 hours I better go buy a new one today. Fr651 1300 hours. Guess I got one that was not inspected.

That is the same engine as on mine. :thumbsup:

burhead - Farmer across the way has a Steering wheel Commercial Cub Z, he bought special for steep hills, he says it sticks like glue on the big slopes.