Looking for some suggestions on zero turn mowers

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was digging around one of the other lawn care forums that is geared more towards professionals. Most of what I read over there said these "residential" grade mowers were made to last 800 to 1000 hours. They all claimed that if you stepped up to the commercial mowers, the engines would last 4000 hrs or more. Seemed logical to me. My kohler is sitting at about 1100 hrs and starting to used a bit of oil, smokes on start up. Also I read it on the internet so it must be true. Maybe its just a way for guys to justify spend 10k on a mower. I know that I put 60-70 hrs on my mower in a season, 800 hours would last me 12 years or so. I also know that I cannot justify spending over 6k on a mower.

Well to begin with a Kawasaki engine will last basically as long as you want if you maintain the engine, they can last thousands of hours. The 800hr figure I think you're referring to is incorrect for the Kawasaki. The or all Kawasaki engines made 2008 and later that are 225cc and larger all have a 1000 hr durability period, it's the engine emissions compliance period (exhaust emission control system) and if you look it's should be on the certification label attached to the engine.

bigdaddyr

Threads
I've done some research as well and have talked to guys who have/had lawn care businesses and they all said they would choose a Kawi engine over the others any day. This is one reason why I choose the Raptor SD with the Kawasaki engine.

I would have bought the 60" but want to start my own LCB and 54" is already pushing it for residential.

With the 60" SD you get a nicer seat which should help your ride.

Good luck in deciding. With your budget you could move up a step or two also in the Hustler line.

Fastrak which would be in your budget in a 60" gets you a ROPS system, .5 mph faster, lol, better hydros ZT-3100's which I have read handle smoother than the Raptors.

Fastrak SD and step down to a 54" and get a commercial mower with a little negotiation. You get up to 9 mph so it makes up for the deck size and an even better set of hydros.

Both of the. Have larger tires and more importantly 5 gal fuel tanks vs 3 gal tanks.

Rick

burhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Stopped by a few of the dealers yesterday. The toro/skag dealer only had the high end skags on the floor. Had some toros in my price range but nothing that wowed me so I didn't even bother testing them. Went to the Gravely dealer as well. The Gravely in my price range didn't seem any better that the hustler (which is much cheaper). The Gravely did have better pumps. Still leaning towards the hustler or the clipper. I found a dealer for bad boy mowers and will probably check them out. Otherwise I think I just need to go demo the hustler and the clipper side by side. If the clipper doesn't blow me away I think I will be getting the Hustler. Thanks for the input so far.

Homer1

Threads
Yes, if your insistent on Hustler, like many around here are, choose the Fastrak as a starting point. It's a much better machine for a long time investment, and more likely to get better repair service than their Raptor line ever since Lowes picked them up. If I had bought a Hustler it would have been a Fastrak or better. It has good engine guarding and the bumper on the deck is nice when you run it into a trailer side or something, like I do. My trailer have rubber sheathing on the sides now.

I didn't mind the BadBoy look and build overall, but the electronic deck lift was my major turn off. Plus they ride a little rough. Still worth a test ride, with the ZT Elite or the CZT probably being a good starting point for your price range.

Be sure to ask your dealer about service turn around and whether they give loaners. That helped me make up my mind.