What happened to Microsoft?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Evil Empire? Making TWO products that are at least equal to third party software? HUH?

I left MS behind in 2002, when I was running Windows 98SE. I ran Linux exclusively until I lost my 'Net connection in 2005. Got back online in 2011. Things sure have changed.

I heard what a miserable failure of an OS Vista was. I rolled my eyes and said that nothing ever changes. Then, I got a phone with 3G internet, and could be tethered as a gateway for a PC. Since you have to ALREADY be onlne to download stuff to make Linux work, getting my Linux box to work with my phone wasn't an option.

I got a great deal on a laptop running 64-bit Windows 7. As a former Linux user, I am really impressed with the overall multitasking capabilities of this new version. It's quite Unix-like (with admin and user being quite separate, needing root passwords to install anything critical). The only thing is it still uses the old Windows partitions, but, I digress.

I was a staunch fan of Opera (when I WAS using Windows), and was quite happy to ditch IE8, because IMHO, it was just a fancy IE5, which I detested.

Thanks to discussions here, I tried the new IE9 and was very happy, actually, WITH A MICROSOFT PRODUCT! Yes, it could be a lot better. But, it just came out. And brand-new versions of Opera were very buggy, too.

Then (again, thanks to discussions here) I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. Like IE9, I am extreemly happy with this product. It is very easy on system resources. I rarely get a virus anyway, so it's hard to judge it's effeciveness.

Both products (IE9 and MSE) integrate unlike any other MS product in the past with the OS. They're seamless. They don't bug you with stuff, they do their thing, and any features are so integrated that actually finding them is kinda tough - most features are working in the background.

DID I MENTION BOTH PRODUCTS WERE FREE????????!!!!!????

My main question is: when did MS go from "take it or leave it and pay for it" to "what do you want and we'll GIVE it to you"? I missed the ballyhooing, I guess - MS usually makes an event of a change like this!

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Evil Empire? Making TWO products that are at least equal to third party software? HUH?

I left MS behind in 2002, when I was running Windows 98SE. I ran Linux exclusively until I lost my 'Net connection in 2005. Got back online in 2011. Things sure have changed.

I heard what a miserable failure of an OS Vista was. I rolled my eyes and said that nothing ever changes. Then, I got a phone with 3G internet, and could be tethered as a gateway for a PC. Since you have to ALREADY be onlne to download stuff to make Linux work, getting my Linux box to work with my phone wasn't an option.

I got a great deal on a laptop running 64-bit Windows 7. As a former Linux user, I am really impressed with the overall multitasking capabilities of this new version. It's quite Unix-like (with admin and user being quite separate, needing root passwords to install anything critical). The only thing is it still uses the old Windows partitions, but, I digress.

I was a staunch fan of Opera (when I WAS using Windows), and was quite happy to ditch IE8, because IMHO, it was just a fancy IE5, which I detested.

Thanks to discussions here, I tried the new IE9 and was very happy, actually, WITH A MICROSOFT PRODUCT! Yes, it could be a lot better. But, it just came out. And brand-new versions of Opera were very buggy, too.

Then (again, thanks to discussions here) I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. Like IE9, I am extreemly happy with this product. It is very easy on system resources. I rarely get a virus anyway, so it's hard to judge it's effeciveness.

Both products (IE9 and MSE) integrate unlike any other MS product in the past with the OS. They're seamless. They don't bug you with stuff, they do their thing, and any features are so integrated that actually finding them is kinda tough - most features are working in the background.

DID I MENTION BOTH PRODUCTS WERE FREE????????!!!!!????

My main question is: when did MS go from "take it or leave it and pay for it" to "what do you want and we'll GIVE it to you"? I missed the ballyhooing, I guess - MS usually makes an event of a change like this!

Have been running Vista HP on both desktop and laptop for 3 years, been very happy with it myself. I do think competition from Google, etc. has made MS a lot more appreciative of their customer base.

Slater

Threads
Microsoft has really been on a roll lately IMO. :thumbsup:

On the Vista comment:
The bashing that occurred on Vista was mainly due to the fact that companies like Dell, Hp, Acer, etc. were selling low spec'd systems with Vista. Vista was a resource hog, so for lower end computers, it did not function very well (and this meant most prebuild systems), but for higher end computers, it was and still is a great operating system. I purchased it day 1 and it ran like a champ, but that is because I had a very good computer that I built, not a cheapo that you purchase. It only got better with service pack 1 and became less resource intensive. So still a great OS in my eyes. The Vista bashers are those that either A. haven't used it and feed off of others comments or B. did not have a computer that should have been running it. The beauty with W7 was that you could install it on 10 year old computers that had XP and it can often times run better.

On the MSE and IE9 comment:
I install MSE on all of my clients computers. As you said, very easy on computer resources, stays out of the operators way and does its job, and FREE! It has done a great job at keeping viruses out for my clients that are very much prone to getting them, but really when it all comes down to it, if your an idiot, you can get viruses no matter what program you use. I actually don't run an AV program because I know how to operate my computer and I sandbox a lot of internet programs. IE9 was a great step!
MS Office was a big leap from 2003 to 2007, takes some getting used to but it is very sweet, and 2010 is even better.

What linux distro did you use twall?
Also I really like Windows Phone 7 with its Office and Xbox integration, plus Zune Pass is the best music service offered by anybody hands down and the new UI is beautiful and as fluid as they come. Seems like MS is trying to keep a good image with consumer minds rather than be the big bully. Whoever their PR manager is should be getting a raise. Their integration between systems keeps getting better and better. The competition is what has done it IMO, but they have really stepped it up which is a win for us as consumers!!!

Go MS, Apple, Google, etc.!!! Keep the competition coming and I can continue to live in my technological paradise :laughing:

rer

Threads
Linux = servers
mac = music
windows=solitaire

I use Windows XP sp1 , Red Hat and Suse linux. I have heard bad things about windows 7. Vista is pretty lame all it does is crash.

Slater

Threads
Linux = servers
mac = music
windows=solitaire

I use Windows XP sp1 , Red Hat and Suse linux. I have heard bad things about windows 7. Vista is pretty lame all it does is crash. (I think a few million people would disagree with you.)

Not to sound harsh, but that may be the most trollish comment I have heard all week. :thumbdown: When you get some more experience with Vista and 7 (not just hearing from fanboys of other companies) then please come back and have an educated conversation.
Linux = servers (Can agree with you there for the most part)
Mac = Video Production (iTunes is a joke, but their editing software is top notch, not iMovie either. Avid and Final Cut are in a league of their own)
Windows = Too many things to list, but solitaire is not one of them

Edit: I should say that for the most part it is a matter of opinion, so you can ignore mine too, but when you write what you did there without having any experience, any opinion or comment that you have is invalidated right away. Enough of blind fanboyism from any side, this goes for tractor, computers, or anything else.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I have always loved Windows.

The PC's in my house currently run Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, and Windows Vista Home Basic.

All of those operating systems I am more than happy with.

Even Vista! It runs great, I really don't see a problem with it, but perhaps seperate people have seperate problems, who knows.

Jetblast

Threads
I run Win 7 on my desktop but Vista works great on my laptop. I like to wait for two OS changes before upgrading unless I'm stuck with a dog like Windows ME, but like Slater said, I think the Vista criticism has always been way overblown. For me it was a little cumbersome out of the box, but once you disable UAC and perform a tweak here and there, it performs just fine. You can Google up a million articles on how to tweak Vista performance to make it work just about any way you want.

I've never once had a crash with XP, Vista, or Win 7. I think good maintenance helps with that. Running CCleaner and Auslogics Disc Defrag once a day keeps trouble away.

Last edited:

Mini Motors

Threads
I have a laptop and a netbook that had Vista, and now have 7. I can safely say that 7 is an improvement, especially with the netbook. The Atom processor in those netbooks was never made for Vista. I might buy that "low spec'd systems" comment if my laptop had not shown improvement with 7.

But more on the original question. I think they just woke up and realized what customers needed. They must have had some sort of epiphany. I have found their free anti-virus really works. I think they realize that they have a vested interest in keeping your systems working well.

Slater

Threads
I might buy that "low spec'd systems" comment if my laptop had not shown improvement with 7.

Wait, what do you mean? I think you are just confirming what I said. On lower spec'd systems (your netbook), Vista did not run well, but with W7 they improved drastically. Atom is a low spec no matter which version it is. For people with high spec'd machines, Vista ran great and not as big of an improvement was seen going to W7, but it was still a great upgrade. Not sure if I understood you or if you understood me correctly :confused2:

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
As to what distro I used (Linux):

I started out with Debian, then switched to Yoper.

I just notice such a difference running multiple programs on Win 7 vs. Win XP (srv pk 3). Albeit, my little atom-powered netbook would likely have problems with just about anything OTHER than Linux, but still.

The negative comments I heard about Vista was from a friend at work who switched to Win 7 because he was so unhappy with it, and I have heard several other comments like that - Win 7 was a great big leap from Vista. I was just making reference to that, and I didn't want another MS system based on what I'd heard like that. But, the naysayers seemed quiet with the gripes about Win 7.

Again, I'm quite pleased.