Gator Blades on a Tiger Cat?

V6Pony

Threads
Is there any advantage to using Gator Blades on a Tiger Cat with no mulch kit? I just mow my personal yard with the Scag. Two to three acres.

Just wondered if the GB would cut the grass finer.

Thanks

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
2008 Scag Tiger Cub, 48" Velocity deck
I tried G6, the 3" wide Gator blades, with a blocking plate, last summer. The G6 blades had too much air flow and would blow the grass over and not cut some of it.
This summer after removing the collection system which I use for spring cleanup and reinstalling the stock front baffle, I installed G3 2.5" wide blades and the blocking plate and I'm getting a better quality cut. I still need to go back over some spots, but not nearly as much as with the G6 blades. Lots of blowout with the blocking plate installed which causes lots of dust and grass to accumulate on me and the machine. I wear a dust mask, goggles, a hat and hearing protection.
I will use the G3 blades all the time, but still need to swap out the front baffle when I use the collection system.
I've been told that the Scag mulch kit is very effective and I considered installing it, however too much involved to swap back to the collection system. I had considered another machine dedicated to mulching, but $$$ and storage become problems!

Last edited: