How can I get a cheap lawn tractor ?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Title says it all...

My lawns are quite big - Big enough for a lawn tractor, so I'd like to get one in the near future.

But, the cheapest one I can see at the moment is on eBay, for over £300! That is $600 by the way.

So, how can I get a cheap lawn tractor ?

Thanks in advance.

poncho62

Threads
If you are handy, buy one that needs some repairs......

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
If you are handy, buy one that needs some repairs......
But even ones needing spares aren't much cheaper than the cheapest one I quoted above...

Hang on - eBay time again!

I'll report back with the cheapest lawn tractor I can find that needs work.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Right, there is one at 」120 ($240), which is a good price, but it would need a lot of work to get it up to standards, and even then it wouldn't be the best...

I'll have to think about it, but for the time being, I have my reliable Sovereign Push Mower!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are there many used lawn tractors on ebay in your country?

I am always amazed at the world wide reach or ebay... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Are there many used lawn tractors on ebay in your country?

I am always amazed at the world wide reach or ebay... :smile:KennyV
There are a lot of them, but expencive things! Seeing as they don't get much abuse over here, they remain in expensively good condition for longer :frown:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you see a lot of ZTR's there yet? :smile:KennyV

Carl in CT

Threads
Patience is your friend. If you are desperate to get something quick you may not get the best deal unless you really luck out. Lots of people give up on machines that won't start when many times just a good carb cleaning they need. Look for ads that say things like, "It ran last time it was parked, wont start now, best offer". Fair chance a carburetor rebuild/cleaning is all it needs so that's a cheap fix, especially if you can verify it has spark. You probably don't have the evil ethanol in your fuel over there so carb problems may not be as prevalent as they are here.

Once you find an old gem for cheap that you can fix up and make good use of you will be hooked and you will start looking for other things you can fix up to use or sell. Lots of folks make a few extra bucks doing that on the side around here. I've flipped a couple old machines for profit myself and it's very rewarding. Can't say it's always worth the time put in but it's a fun hobby so I don't worry if I end up making only $5 an hour on it. As long as I clear the expenses and save a good machine otherwise destined for the scrap heap I'm happy. Old machines (pre-1980) are always built better than the throw away junk they sell now anyway.

I have a 1976 Troy Bilt Horse rototiller and a 1960-something Gravely walk behind brush mower, both of which were fixer-uppers that have paid for themselves with the side jobs I got tilling and clearing brush. So now I have those machines for free and if/when I sell them they will be pure profit and would be worth about $500 each. Unfortunately my house is a fixer-upper too so I don't have time to do as much mechanic work as I'd like.

Best of luck, don't forget to keep us posted when you find something (pics are always appreciated).

Black Bart

Threads
On and old mower one thing to check carefully is the deck especially the one with the cheap thin metal.
A new deck can cost serious money and may not even be available'
Engine problems can be fixed for a coupe; hundred or less but a new deck will be serious $$$$$$$$

Since you can not inspect a deck on e bay I would never buy from their.

I want to see what I'm buying but I never have bought a used mower I prefer to buy new then sell in 20 years and let someone else worry about keeping it running.