model 11 bad steering

WVjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got an old model 11 that wont turn left unless the front end is in the air. I tore everything aprt checked everthing put it back together and still it wont turn left . I even put more narrow tires on the front. What am I missing?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It will need a new pinion gear, sector gear, steering shaft bushing ( pinion gear end ) .

WVjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I dont want to sound like a bone head. But whats broke.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The symptom points to worn parts on old tractors if they have normal run hours. Right side discharge mowing counter clock wise wears left turn parts and leaves right turn parts in fair condition usually.

Look closely at the gear teeth on the sector gear and compare gear teeth lands ( flats) on the teeth. Those used for left turns will be sharp pointed indicating severely worn. All of the pinion gear teeth, will look sharp rather than having a flat where they mesh with the sector gear.

WVjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wilk checknit out in the morning. And try to post a picture

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Forgot to mention in the last reply that the pinion gear bushing will wear on one side, the side that gets pressure from turning either way. This allows the gear teeth to become dis-engaged that amount plus any amount the sector gear pivot is worn. All these little iffies is usually what causes failure.

These components usually never get lubricated. The wide spread theory is " don't lube those because that will make them attract dirt ". My theory is " there is dirt there whether we realize it or not and that dirt on top of the grease or oil that we see isn't the problem ". I like lubricated dirt opposed to dry dirt .

WVjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wouodnt that just cause the wheel to spin with the tires not turning the direction