Export thread

model 11 bad steering

W

WVjohn

I got an old model 11 that wont turn left unless the front end is in the air. I tore everything aprt checked everthing put it back together and still it wont turn left . I even put more narrow tires on the front. What am I missing?

S

SeniorCitizen

It will need a new pinion gear, sector gear, steering shaft bushing ( pinion gear end ) .

W

WVjohn

I dont want to sound like a bone head. But whats broke.

RoperGuy

RoperGuy

Tie rod isent bent is it?

W

WVjohn

No. Everything is stright

S

SeniorCitizen

The symptom points to worn parts on old tractors if they have normal run hours. Right side discharge mowing counter clock wise wears left turn parts and leaves right turn parts in fair condition usually.

Look closely at the gear teeth on the sector gear and compare gear teeth lands ( flats) on the teeth. Those used for left turns will be sharp pointed indicating severely worn. All of the pinion gear teeth, will look sharp rather than having a flat where they mesh with the sector gear.

W

WVjohn

I wilk checknit out in the morning. And try to post a picture

S

SeniorCitizen

Forgot to mention in the last reply that the pinion gear bushing will wear on one side, the side that gets pressure from turning either way. This allows the gear teeth to become dis-engaged that amount plus any amount the sector gear pivot is worn. All these little iffies is usually what causes failure.

These components usually never get lubricated. The wide spread theory is " don't lube those because that will make them attract dirt ". My theory is " there is dirt there whether we realize it or not and that dirt on top of the grease or oil that we see isn't the problem ". I like lubricated dirt opposed to dry dirt .

W

WVjohn

Wouodnt that just cause the wheel to spin with the tires not turning the direction

S

SeniorCitizen

Wouodnt that just cause the wheel to spin with the tires not turning the direction

I was thinking that was the problem when reading the original post.

W

WVjohn

No its a catch it seem. Ill post some pictures tomorrow

W

WVjohn

ForumRunner_20150518_134012.png

ForumRunner_20150518_134012.png

Attachments

W

WVjohn

View attachment 26260

View attachment 26260

These are the pictures of my front end. Nothing is bent. Just stios when I try ti turn it to the left. The wheel and the tires. Unless its in the air. I check all the steering parts nothing is worn out or broke.

S

SeniorCitizen

Nice pictures but unfortunately not the parts that usually cause the no left turn problem. The problem parts will be underneath at the end of the steering shaft.

B

bertsmobile1

And it might use be camera angles but those wheels appear to be toed out.

As senior said it is the end of the steering wheel that gives you the grief.
However check the tie rod ends they get floppy with age and that will make them a bit harder to turn because the angles change.